A Healthy Dose of Series 28

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
Hello Folks, I am soon heading back to work after my Winter Break. My kids kept me busy to the point where I wasn't able to contribute much to the forum, but I will try to make up for a little bit of it this evening. I did however, get to view Summer Wine throughout my break. I felt it was very appropriate that I got to view Series 28, from What Happened to the Horse to Bicycle Pump. I was always a huge Smiler fan and I was very thankful I got to enjoy his last Series this time around.

When I think in a couple of months Public Television will return to the Blamire Years, I really think of how different the post-Compo years are from the Blamire years. Really, what attracted me to the Last of the Summer Wine so much from the beginning was that I was always fascinated by that kind of retired lifetyle. I always enjoy the later years with the large collection of Barmpots. To me, the show lost a little when Billy left but there was enough of a strong cast remaining to keep Summer Wine strong. However, I think season 28 is the last great year of Summer Wine. For me, it may have been the loss of Smiler (on top of the loss of Billy) that ultimately might have been too much for the show. Afterwards, there were still a few great episodes, like Coopers Rules and Goodnight Sweet Ferret, but the overall quality slipped too much.

Series 28 isn't exactly a classic like, Series 8, etc. The episodes are pretty predictable (including a lot of mishaps with the police car), but it was just comforting to watch a lot of things I enjoy about the show repeat itself.

I watched the epsides over the last seven weekdays, but I didn't recall which specific event occurred in which episode. Was the Crowcroft Challenge where we first see Barry mentioning and trying to impress the Captain? I think that was a funny storyline that could have been expanded more. Where Barry tried to impress someone of higher status
but the guys somehow manage to get in the way. That takes me back to Optimism in the Housing Market, where Barry's attempt to impress his boss is foiled by chasing Compo.

Back