a few stone wall questions here

WesleyRocks

Dedicated Member
I just got finished watching "where there is smoke there is barbeque". In one of the scenes, as in many episodes, there is a stone wall. This might be a silly question, it seems like a lot of the pasture land is not fenced off with wire fencing but stone walls, so, where do all of the stones come from? Quarry s, out of the fields??? Just popped in to my head, thought I'd ask.
Also, is there mortar holding them together?

I just got finished watching "where there is smoke there is barbeque". In one of the scenes, as in many episodes, there is a stone wall. This might be a silly question, it seems like a lot of the pasture land is not fenced off with wire fencing but stone walls, so, where do all of the stones come from? Quarry s, out of the fields??? Just popped in to my head, thought I'd ask.
Also, is there mortar holding them together?

From a BBC website:
Wall to wall
By Carole Green

A dry stone wall is a remarkable feat of engineering! The Yorkshire Dry Stone Walling Guild will be demonstrating the craft at this year's Great Yorkshire Show. Find out more about these eye catching structures...
gys_drystone_wall_pano_470x150_zpsd927e19e.jpg

The dry stone wall and stiles

The English countryside is criss-crossed by field boundaries making it look like a patchwork quilt. The Yorkshire Dales and North York Moors are no exception and the landscape is dominated by dry stone walls.

Dry stone walling is an old craft which marks the boundaries between fields and parcels of land. The walls are built without using any cement jointing and the walls blend in with the surroundings, providing shelter and habitat for a wide range of animals and insects.
dry_stone_wall_field_180_180x150_zpsb1279398.jpg

Dry stone wall
This one has just been repaired.

They can last for more than a lifetime and need repairing and preserving. However, far from the craft of dry stone walling dying out, it is alive and kicking all over the county.

The Yorkshire Dry Stone Walling Guild (YDSWG) was founded 20 years or so ago and is dedicated to the craft.

It is a voluntary, non-profit making organisation with around 130 members. Their aim is to preserve the walls and the skills involved in building and maintaining them. It also encourages an interest in the history of dry stone walls.

Brian Wood, affectionately known as 'Woody', is the secretary of the YDSWG and he told us about their involvement with the Great Yorkshire Show.
"Last year we finished a wall we were building around the pond near the showground's Brown Gate by including two forms of stile in the build.

"One is a traditional step over version in stone with big solid slabs of stone to form the steps. The second is made from timber in the fashion used by the National Park in the Yorkshire Dales.

"The actual build around the side of the pond took four shows to complete and also includes a stone seat, a gateway and a sheep creep as features. The seat was used to good effect during the Great Yorkshire Show as a baby feeding station!

"In 2009 we are rebuilding the damaged wall between the Young Farmers and adjacent Askham Bryan College buildings.

"The Guild hopes to have another site on the ground for a new build of our own starting in 2010. We look forward to meeting all our enthusiasts again and hope you will lay a stone or two as you have done in the past."
yorkshire_dales_470_470x150_zps8d3ff78c.jpg

The Yorkshire Dales

Now concentrate - here comes the science bit!
•A typical Yorkshire dry stone wall is tapered.
•The base is half the width of the height and twice the width of the top.
•As the wall settles on the ground it strengthens itself and tightens up.

Fascinating! The hours and hours it must have taken to gather, transport, shape and construct the stone walls is amazing..........and held together only by gravity. In just about every episode we see miles and miles of the dry stone walls. The countryside is so rustic and beautiful because of them.

Great information Big Unc. Gosh, I wonder why we don't see those here in the states. I have seen a few pillars with then wooden rails between them here but that is all. That is amazing that volunteers keep them in shape. How great are they. That is something to be proud of. If there were stones in Florida I would have one around our place!!!!!

So, I looked up the Guild on line and they offer courses and certificates in dry stone wall building. How great would that be!!! Very neat!!

Fascinating! The hours and hours it must have taken to gather, transport, shape and construct the stone walls is amazing..........and held together only by gravity. In just about every episode we see miles and miles of the dry stone walls. The countryside is so rustic and beautiful because of them.

This talk of gathering stones made my weird mind think of Flanders and Swann talking about the building of Stonehenge - for which I think the massive stones came all the way from Wales;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usdf8UHL0vU

Great information Big Unc. Gosh, I wonder why we don't see those here in the states. I have seen a few pillars with then wooden rails between them here but that is all. That is amazing that volunteers keep them in shape. How great are they. That is something to be proud of. If there were stones in Florida I would have one around our place!!!!!

I certainly beg to differ!! Although not in Florida, there are dry stone walls in New England, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, and Virginia. Here in Virginia, there are many around Uppersville and The Plains. Many probably date from around 1800's and may have been originally built by (you guessed it) immigrants from the UK.

I certainly beg to differ!! Although not in Florida, there are dry stone walls in New England, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, and Virginia. Here in Virginia, there are many around Uppersville and The Plains. Many probably date from around 1800's and may have been originally built by (you guessed it) immigrants from the UK.
Great information Adanor but I don't recall any in Kentucky but I usually go straight to London, Kentucky. I love thelook of those stone walls!

Ahhh, I didn't know that. I grew up in western PA, but I don't ever remember seeing those. However, I was on a farm and didn't get out much ;D
We had a lot of post and rail fence and good old barbed wire to keep the livestock in.
The next time I visit I'll have to look around more.

The stone wall was one of the features that kept me coming back to Summer Wine.
Wish I could attend the class! ~Sheree~

If you search the web for miniature or model dry stone wall you will see people selling completed models or kits for you to build

Back