A couple of Compo questions.

While I mean no disrespect to Mike Berry i always believed that he was a really poor choice to replace Trevor Bannister.I also felt that after Mr Grainger(Arthur Brough)left/died the show lost that wonderful spark and by the end it was really time to close the doors for good.

Hector.

Often when there is a substantial change in actors any series alters, and often not for the best. The later Dad's Army lost something without Frazer, AYBS likewise, Hi de Hi was never the same when the chap in charge (forgot name and role played) changed - the academic in the holiday camp created some of the major laughs for me.

Perhaps that is why series which end after two to four series seems to leave on a high - Fawlty Towers, Open All Hours for example.

But SW proved it could be done - Michael Bates, Brian Wilde, Michael Aldridge and Frank Thornton all contributed something and it survived.

Sometimes the top listing of the main stars was in alphabetical order of surname

that definitely didn't happen in AYBS seeing Bannister comes before Inman or Sugden in alphabetical order, it simply went on popularity eventually and I think at the end it with all the cast changes it went on how long the actor or actress had been in AYBS

While I mean no disrespect to Mike Berry i always believed that he was a really poor choice to replace Trevor Bannister.I also felt that after Mr Grainger(Arthur Brough)left/died the show lost that wonderful spark and by the end it was really time to close the doors for good.

Hector.

Often when there is a substantial change in actors any series alters, and often not for the best. The later Dad's Army lost something without Frazer, AYBS likewise, Hi de Hi was never the same when the chap in charge (forgot name and role played) changed - the academic in the holiday camp created some of the major laughs for me.

Perhaps that is why series which end after two to four series seems to leave on a high - Fawlty Towers, Open All Hours for example.

But SW proved it could be done - Michael Bates, Brian Wilde, Michael Aldridge and Frank Thornton all contributed something and it survived.

Frazer? He was in it at the end, I'm wondering if you meant Walker? They never really replaced him although did try for a while with the welsh actor Talfryn Thomas as a war journalist.

Some comedy series would never be the same without the leading characters. Fawlty Towers without Basil/John Cleese, not possible. Only Fools and Horses without Delboy or Rodney, again not possible. I think LOTSW survived for so long because Compo and Clegg were the glue holding it together. Don't think they could have been replaced, but the third tall, more authoritarian, busy body type, they got lucky with because the actor who came in was always just right. Can't think of many comedy actors who could have come in and replaced Compo or Clegg had they left the series after a few years.

I think you're exactly right there. Although it was always a trio, Compo and Clegg were the ones who had to be in it.

If you look at most trios, two seem (perhaps unfairly) more important than the other one.

I think you're exactly right there. Although it was always a trio, Compo and Clegg were the ones who had to be in it.

If you look at most trios, two seem (perhaps unfairly) more important than the other one.

They did have a wonderful run of luck with the actors who took on the tall man role, Michael Bates, Brian Wilde, Michael Aldridge and Frank Thornton, as they all fit well. Of these, it took me a while to warm to Thornton as Truly, perhaps because by then Wilde had made his mark. On the other hand, the last tall man was Russ Abbot as Hobo and perhaps the luck ran out with that character, as I couldn't put him alongside the others.

Frazer? He was in it at the end, I'm wondering if you meant Walker? They never really replaced him although did try for a while with the welsh actor Talfryn Thomas as a war journalist.

I did mean QWalker - wrong name; obviously have been following Big Unc's post for aficiandos

I think the matchbox mystery should remain as such personally. I wanted to know at one point but then the magic is gone from that iconic piece, I guess to me much like I'd have loved to have had a cameo part in LOTSW but then again the magic would have been lessened for me, seeing the mechanics of the show. Long live the mystery I say!

In fact Blamire's leaving was covered in a letter to Clegg, read out in the cafe, which hints at a romantic liaison for Blamire and also that Foggy Dewhirst was coming back.

Dads Army was great right to the end but when Pvt Walker went it did lose a little something ,but Are You Being Served did lose its way a long time before the end.They had to many song and dance numbers and silly stories.LOTSW did go off at the end due to Clegg and Truly not being able to to get out as before, did not like Hobo and he was definitely a mistake.But at least we can watch the episodes we like (have all the Dads Army ones) drives my wife round the bend!!!!!! :cc:

In fact Blamire's leaving was covered in a letter to Clegg, read out in the cafe, which hints at a romantic liaison for Blamire and also that Foggy Dewhirst was coming back.

That's because it was Foggy's debut episode The Man from Oswestry.

:merrychristmas: :xmasstree:

I remember seeing something online, it possibly may be the 30th anniversary LOTSW,where they all talked about the matchbox,and was sworn to secrecy. Roy Clarke made the last comment when Bill Owen knew he was ill, that he wanted to take it to the grave what was in the matchbox. Makes you wonder though what it was, or was it empty?? I love my Compo

I remember seeing something online, it possibly may be the 30th anniversary LOTSW,where they all talked about the matchbox,and was sworn to secrecy. Roy Clarke made the last comment when Bill Owen knew he was ill, that he wanted to take it to the grave what was in the matchbox. Makes you wonder though what it was, or was it empty?? I love my Compo

I think that was the Bill Owen tribute show on BBC One from 2000 which was shown straight after the Millennium Special

Back