A Clean Sweep

manfromoswestry

Dedicated Member
After watching this episode, I was wondering what the connection is between weddings and chimney sweeps in England. Was it something done just for this episode, or is it some sort of good luck to have a chimney sweep attend a wedding?

After watching this episode, I was wondering what the connection is between weddings and chimney sweeps in England. Was it something done just for this episode, or is it some sort of good luck to have a chimney sweep attend a wedding?

That is it - a tradition that a sweep is good luck at a wedding. Think of Dick Van Dyke in "Mary Poppins" and "Chim Chim Cheree"

Whoops - missed it before. By "England" you mean "Britain".

That´s interesting, they are considered good luck here too, but not at weddings, just generally when you see one in the street. You are supposed to touch him and make a wish, I think. We often have little plastic chimney sweeps in plant pots with lucky clover for the New Year as a gift, both symbols of luck. And as you call it "lucky clover" as well shows me you consider four-leaved clover lucky too. How interesting, so many similarities in such things. Other symbols of luck, especially at New Year, are pigs and fly agarics. And when we still had Deutsche Mark before the Euro, the smallest coin was considered good luck too if you found one penny in the street.

That´s interesting, they are considered good luck here too, but not at weddings, just generally when you see one in the street. You are supposed to touch him and make a wish, I think. We often have little plastic chimney sweeps in plant pots with lucky clover for the New Year as a gift, both symbols of luck. And as you call it "lucky clover" as well shows me you consider four-leaved clover lucky too. How interesting, so many similarities in such things. Other symbols of luck, especially at New Year, are pigs and fly agarics. And when we still had Deutsche Mark before the Euro, the smallest coin was considered good luck too if you found one penny in the street.

Here in the States, many say "See a penny, pick it up, all the day you'll have good luck!" which is a rhyme that is known far and wide. Also, one way to indicate that something probably won't happen, it to say that [something] will happen when pigs fly.

I still have a set of brushes, as having open fires still use them, I did manage to get the brush parted from the poles once and left it half way up the chimney, it burnt out eventually and the brass connection came clattering down which caused the cat to practically jump out of her skin.

Here in the States, many say "See a penny, pick it up, all the day you'll have good luck!" which is a rhyme that is known far and wide. Also, one way to indicate that something probably won't happen, it to say that [something] will happen when pigs fly.

I use that, but I say Pin instead of penny. I believe a pin could be used as currency in the days of Charles Dickens.

Back