A Big Tart and a Midget

I had wondered why Tom did not just drawn a big L or R on the back of Mrs. Avery's hands to help her when driving. :D
Seems her name is Mrs (Lolly Minerva) Avery according to.

Haha, I just discovered Timothy in the boating show as well just the other day! It looks interesting, Douglas. Not sure if it is a whole series on him or just a few episodes. I plan to watch some later.

I did see this a few months back and it impressed me with how good he can be in a non-comedy role.

Discovered this the other day because of your thread. The movie looks really good about him taking an 800km bus ride across England. Maybe I can grab a dvd of it when it comes out or watch online. The Bookie from Still Game looks to be one of the bus drivers.
Haha Rick I thought exactly the same,just draw an L and an R on her wrists
Thank you so much,I had no idea that was what she was called,I learn something every day I come on here with like minded souls,I don’t know anyone who loves the show apart from on here.
I’m sure it was a series of him travelling on a boat,I will look out for it being repeated,he seemed a really nice guy,unlike what I have learned tonight about Jimmy Nail,his serious acting is every bit as good as his comedy acting,it’s a bit grim but look out for Pierrpoint,the true story of England’s hangman,he was superb in it.

I saw that too about Pierrpoint hangman, Douglas.

When I read further on the Mrs. Avery link I posted, someone on there mentioned that Mrs. Avery and Crusher might make an interesting couple.

Yep, Roger is an encyclopedia of knowledge on LotSW info! This place is great for learning more info on the show. Sorry if I went a little tangent with Timothy Spall.

Please call me Chuffer Rick,I love reading your posts when you go a little tangent,they are really interesting and please keep them coming,I never thought about Crusher and Mrs Avery,what an imposing couple they would have made,now you mention it I really wished that would have happened even though I never thought of it before,you always come up with these brilliant ideas,and they would both have been able to stay in the show,I often think of what I would have liked to happen,or what may have happened after the series ended,I always wished Glenda would have got her little girl called Natalie x

Chuffer, thank you so much for your ' now& then' photo's. We like to find these places when we visit. If the locations are not on the SW map could you consider adding them or mentioning the road names/junctions so that we can also visit & enjoy reminiscing the scenes. Cheers Chuff.

Chuffer, thank you so much for your ' now& then' photo's. We like to find these places when we visit. If the locations are not on the SW map could you consider adding them or mentioning the road names/junctions so that we can also visit & enjoy reminiscing the scenes. Cheers Chuff.
Oh thankyou Graham,I know loads of places that aren’t on the map just by recognising the area when I see it on tv,and of course remembering all the scenes when I walk past them,I don’t think I’m allowed to add anything to the map or if so I don’t know how,point taken though and thankyou,in the future I will add the location on the post,these photos were take on Butterley Lane at New Mill (between Holmfirth and Jackson Bridge where the White Horse is) Thankyou for the comment,
Chuffer x

Sorry Graham,meant to put it‘s Butterley Lane at the junction with Hollin House Lane and Scaly Gate,if you drive a short distance along Scaly Gate in the direction the bus was coming,and turn left at the end,a couple of hundred yards on your right is a lay-by and a very famous bench that was sat on many times by the trio and also where they filmed many scenes,and that is where Tom is stood saying this is our home now,it’s called Scar Hole Lane,if you walk up the lane behind the bench after a short while you will come to the most famous little hill and path in Summer Wine history that needs no introduction,or if you carried on driving up the hill past the bench there is a pull in area on your left and you would immediately recognise the area it’s been in almost every episode,too many to mention,it’s where all the trios have walked and laid talking where you can see the body of water in the distance and the little bridge they used many times that’s part of a private house,I’ll take a photo when I come across a “then” scene,I know hundreds of these little places but will make sure I add road names in future,thankyou.

I really liked Mrs Avery too, couldn't stand Babs, Hobo or Waldo.
I didn’t mind Hobbo Pearl,but glad when his love for the chicken went,and glad too to see the back of Babs and Waldo,I wonder if Tom Owen kept Waldo or if not where it is now,I bet there are props scattered all over that people don’t realise (or care) the significance of.

Hi Chuffer, touch base with maltrab (Terry) about helping with input on the map, it is his excellent creation.

Like others I was not super fond of Waldo or the chicken. Hobbo would have been more likeable to me if he was not trying so hard to be the center of attention thus overshadowing the other characters. Felt like since he was the new character the focus was all on him. Maybe if he was eased into the show more as a secondary character at first instead of the main one right away. Seemed like other additions to the cast like Howard, Billy, Truly, Tom, Alvin, Entwhistle, Nelly and others had better transitions into the show, just my thoughts.

Hi Chuffer, touch base with maltrab (Terry) about helping with input on the map, it is his excellent creation.

Like others I was not super fond of Waldo or the chicken. Hobbo would have been more likeable to me if he was not trying so hard to be the center of attention thus overshadowing the other characters. Felt like since he was the new character the focus was all on him. Maybe if he was eased into the show more as a secondary character at first instead of the main one right away. Seemed like other additions to the cast like Howard, Billy, Truly, Tom, Alvin, Entwhistle, Nelly and others had better transitions into the show, just my thoughts.
I’d never thought of it that way RickAns I think you’re absolutely correct

Another mention of midget was in When You Take a Good Bite Yorkshire Tastes Terrible, Howard asks if Billy Henry's wife was going to marry the Polish film midget.
And I was worried about using that word on here Pearl,I don’t think I would have been if Marks and Spencer hadn’t just changed the names of their midget gems to mini gems saying it was an offensive word,but as usual I bet no one even complained,well spotted I’d never heard that line.

I saw that too about Pierrpoint hangman, Douglas.

When I read further on the Mrs. Avery link I posted, someone on there mentioned that Mrs. Avery and Crusher might make an interesting couple.

Yep, Roger is an encyclopedia of knowledge on LotSW info! This place is great for learning more info on the show. Sorry if I went a little tangent with Timothy Spall.
Timothy Spall is my favorite actor, he is also in my favorite film Secrets & Lies, it's a Mike Leigh film but has been voted as one of the 100 films of all time. I was also fortunate enough to see him on stage at The Old Vic in The Caretaker a few years back again absolutely outstanding.

Sorry i'm going off tangent now, but that's what threads are all about!!!!

I was a bit dubious about using that title,even though it’s a funny line from the show,and even though it was shown on tv recently without being cut or edited,mainly because this week Marks and Spencer renamed their Midget gems Mini gems because they said the term midget was offensive,so I asked the administrators on here if it would be ok to use (thankyou so much) and they were wonderful and said yes.
The line is spoken by Mrs Avery,associate of Tom,she’s not very nice in this scene,but then she’s in a bit of a state and shook up because she’s nearly run over two reckless cyclists and had to do an emergency stop.
I think I may be in the minority here,but I really liked Mrs Avery,I wasn’t keen on Babs the character,and I didn’t like Waldo the the dog,I thought it was unnecessary and sometimes a bit silly,much like Hobbo in his early episodes with the chicken.
I think my attitude towards Mrs Avery was shaped due to my love of Julie T Wallace,I adore her,my most memorable tv thing ever (apart from our wonderful show of course) was The Life and Loves of a She Devil,in which she starred with Dennis Waterman,Tom Baker,and Patricia Hodges as Mary Fisher,that programme had such an impact on me that it has stayed with me for decades.
Coincidentally another programme that had the same impact also starred Dennis Waterman,it was called A Captains Tale about working class men from the North East who had to sell their belongings to enter their working men’s club team into the World Cup,which was then the Liptons cup,when they applied as West Auckland they put WA and the organisers thought they were Woolwich Arsenal (today’s Arsenal)
I always wanted to go and see the Lipton’s World Cup which was in the West Auckland working men’s club,but it was stolen and I don’t know if it was ever recovered,I haven’t seen that programme in 35 years but it stayed with me so much that I remember all that,much the same as the impact Julie T Wallace had on me.
Does anyone else have any tv events that have stayed with them for decades,it would be great to hear which ones.
I am so sorry for rambling on when it’s a section for photos,and sorry for going off topic too.
This is a scene that I think of often when I pass this way,and it has the added bonus of having Mrs Avery in it,although many scenes over the years were filmed here,I have six sets of then and now photos from this scene but will be away from the site for a couple of days after this.
The scene starts with Howard and Marina emerging from a gate onto the road and into the path of a bus,and here is that very gate today (well,yesterday 16th January 2022,22 years later)
“ I don’t know the lady,we were just travelling in the same direction”
View attachment 4653View attachment 4654
Just pop over to my corner shop and they're selling Maynards Midget Gem! I wish I'd taken my phone to take a picture.

Timothy Spall is my favorite actor, he is also in my favorite film Secrets & Lies, it's a Mike Leigh film but has been voted as one of the 100 films of all time. I was also fortunate enough to see him on stage at The Old Vic in The Caretaker a few years back again absolutely outstanding.

Sorry i'm going off tangent now, but that's what threads are all about!!!!
My favourite Mike Leigh film … Nuts In May. I’ve seen it too many times really and can’t help myself quoting especially when we are away in the campervan :)

Back