2021 Holidays

Barrychuckle

Administrator
Staff member
Like many people I've missed out on all my overseas planned holidays in 2020, although I managed 2 days in Blackpool and 2 days in Yorkshire which I'm grateful for.

I was wondering what other forum members plans are for 2021, do I take a chance and book it now and get a good deal or wait until things are better, but end up paying a fortune when everyone is booking holidays??

I do intend to book somewhere in Holmfirth as soon as is practicable come what may....

I had no choice but to move a holiday in Alicante to September 2021 as the Hotel was only offering that option . The flights were Easyjet and dealing with them was an absolute farrago but eventually we got a refund so decided to re-invest the money in flights again to match the Hotel dates hoping September will have sort of resolution to the issues in all countries . I would normally jet off in Spring but decided against that because I think its too soon . Michael Leary makes me laugh he is peppering our screens offering Ryanair flights as if nothing is going on using "Jab" in a bold opening to them . I understand that they have suffered such financial losses in 2020 and need to recoup cash but given we are banned from travelling to most places in Europe I find it staggering that these companies are spending considerable sums advertising in this manner.

I travelled extensively in the UK on National Holidays Coaches in recent years. I know that despite folding someone has picked up the business just waiting to see what they have to offer and when /if.

I agree, spring is a tad too optimistic, I was supposed to be in Barbados now but I've moved it to same time in 2021, amazingly they honoured the price.
One thing is for sure, there are plenty of people who've built up savings over the past 12 months by default which they'll want to spend, everyone will be desparate for holiday so it wouldn't surprise me if they were double what they were. I think moving your holiday to next September is a wise move and Alicante will have perfect weather in September :cool::cool::cool:

We had our Scottish holiday moved from May to September last year, we've usually booked by now but we haven't yet, I think we'll see how it plans out before we do.

I cancelled out of my 4-week UK holiday, which was booked for late August through late September. Part of it was with HF Holidays. They offered the choice of a refund or a change from heritage railways of Scotland to self-guided walking based in the same country house hotel. The remaining time was on my own in Edinburgh, Manchester and Holmfirth, all in fully refundable lodgings. The airline, Delta, offered all booked passengers the opportunity to cancel and rebook within a couple of years without the usual change fee.

I used my credit with HF (and more) to book a couple of their holidays in October of this year, the Bloomsbury Group literary tour based at the West Sussex house and a week's self-guided walking at Lulworth Cove. For me, self-guided "walking" is self-guided touring via local buses to the best photo ops in the area on clear days and to local history museums on rainy days. Between those two I have a reservation for a week's lodging at the youth hostel on Euston Road in London (single, all en suite), because it's so late in the season that the LSE autumn term will have begun so my favorite residence hall on Endsleigh Place will be housing students instead of operating as a B&B.

I made the airline reservations on the day that my return flights became available for sale, December 3rd.

The travel cancellation insurance will come later, because no one is insuring against cancellation due to pandemic. I'll buy it as soon as the infection rate has been down to a level indicating a low transmission rate for long enough that it looks reliable, since they won't pay for cancellation due to fear of infection.

Well, I would book now and get a good deal, but make sure you can get a refund if you find you can't go, due to the Covid situation at the time. (Although we all hope it will significantly improve by the Summer!?)

Well, I would book now and get a good deal, but make sure you can get a refund if you find you can't go, due to the Covid situation at the time. (Although we all hope it will significantly improve by the Summer!?)
I'm not counting on summer, and wouldn't travel then, anyway, because the airfares are too high. Autumn seems much more likely to have given a sufficient number of people enough time to be vaccinated and for their immune systems to have learned to recognize and fight off the new virus. That will drastically reduce the quantity of virus "in the wild", making travel much less hazardous.

As an aside, I don't attempt to travel in winter, either. My only winter trip was years ago, in early January, to London. The night before departure, this area got about three feet of snow, and it was still coming down hard when the airport van picked me up. I had just spoken to the check-in agent at the airport to ask if my flight to LGA to connect to the London flight from JFK was still on. He had said yes as far as he knew. Twenty minutes later, when I reached the airport, it was in the process of closing because the snowplows couldn't move fast enough to keep the runways clear. The highway departments of both the county I live in and the one where the airport is located had closed the roads while I was on the way from home. After having the check-in agent change my US Airways and British Airways flights to the next day, and arranging with the van company for pickup the next morning, I spent the rest of the day and the night at the motel across the highway from the airport watching vehicles get bogged down on the off-ramp while attempting to exit the closed highway. The snow stopped around mid-afternoon, after burying us under five feet of it. Then the plows could make good progress and the roads were reopened by evening.

We've never had snow earlier than late November or later than Mothers' Day weekend, in May, setting my departure and return limits for me.

I really respect your tenacity @Marianna sounds like your plans were proper scuppered this year, and you're already planning coming over here again. I'm hoping to visit your neck of the woods later this year too, perhaps New England in the fall or autumn as we call it!

Back