1985 Christmas Special; Uncle of the Bride

wstol

Dedicated Member
Or, if you believe in it, the 1986 New Year Special. It was first shown on 1st January 1986.

So, the unthinkable happened, and Foggy was written out and a new character brought in.

I think most would agree, it took a while to get used to Seymour, but he did prove to be a much loved character.

This episode is a feature length film episode, exactly in the style of Getting Sam Home. Both are excellent, well presented specials, but in the space of two years the cast has changed quite a bit.

This is one of those endearing episodes which will cheer anyone up. Everything about this episode is fun, from Wesley's old car, meeting 'Our Seymour, you'll love our Seymour', that stag night to getting to the wedding - this one of the very best. Just a shame Foggy's not in it!

Despite Foggy not being in it from this episode, the series was still doing remarkably well. I would assume Brian Wilde regretted leaving quite as early as he did.

People will often compare the deliberate similarities between The Man from Oswestry and Return of the Warrior - the episodes where Foggy has returned to his home town. However, his departures were fairly similar too, with a long episode based around a wedding whilst introducing a new character and looking after a bride-groom. I refer to There Goes the Groom of course.

Brian Wilde didn't make an appearance in Uncle of the Bride (or There Goes the Groom). Had he had made some sort of cameo this would have been an even more perfect episode.

When this was first released on VHS, it got a U certificate - which oddly enough LOTSW never seems to achieve. The U didn't last long, and the episode was later re-released on VHS with a PG certificate.

Even though at the time, in my callow youth, aged 14 actually, I was massively disapponted that Foggy had left and didn't have the same feeling for Seymour, over time I have come to appreciate this episode for what it is....which is/was a marvellous intro for a new main character, support characters and an excellent feature length film.
It was/is very good and no matter how disappointing it was to see Foggy leave when the show was in its pomp, this episode has to be rated on its merits.
And its merits were that it was very good. It saw the introduction of Barry, Edie and Glenda and the full time introduction of Wesley and breathed another dimension into the show.
It's a smashing episode. Very enjoyable and gets 8.7/10 from me.

My earliest memory is actually of Three Men and A Mangle, so i dont remember Foggy the first time round so for me the experience was of having to get used to Foggy rather than Seymour but again in my eyes they were both much loved and oddly enough, it was TRULY i didnt take to at first, in fact it was my audio of Last of the summer wine that made me want to watch some of the Truly episodes and thus make me start liking him

My earliest memory is actually of Three Men and A Mangle, so i dont remember Foggy the first time round so for me the experience was of having to get used to Foggy rather than Seymour but again in my eyes they were both much loved and oddly enough, it was TRULY i didnt take to at first, in fact it was my audio of Last of the summer wine that made me want to watch some of the Truly episodes and thus make me start liking him

I think each new Third Man breathed a new dimension into the show in their own way Pauline, they all took it off in a different direction, sometimes with new characters in support and sometimes with old faces.
Without those changes it could have stalled many times, so every change was for the best when they were made I think.

I think each new Third Man breathed a new dimension into the show in their own way Pauline, they all took it off in a different direction, sometimes with new characters in support and sometimes with old faces.
Without those changes it could have stalled many times, so every change was for the best when they were made I think.

oh, without a doubt. it's just some changes are more quicker to get used to than others i guess.

oh, without a doubt. it's just some changes are more quicker to get used to than others i guess.

Yeah definitely. I took to Truly really quickly, but it took me until nearly the end to warm properly to Seymour.
Now, when I look back, the Seymour era was better than I first gave it credit for.

Yeah definitely. I took to Truly really quickly, but it took me until nearly the end to warm properly to Seymour.
Now, when I look back, the Seymour era was better than I first gave it credit for.

same with me with Truly. however for me...........Three Men and A Mangle which as i said was the episode i first remember loses its appeal and edge just that little more with each time i see it

same with me with Truly. however for me...........Three Men and A Mangle which as i said was the episode i first remember loses its appeal and edge just that little more with each time i see it

Only natural I think. Favourite episodes come and go. The more you watch the show, the more your opinion changes!

yeah.i know one thing....im noticing the little "sulky" signals that Foggy gives whenever his war stories are disbelieved before he is outrightly sulking in"Ordeal By Trousers" which i didnt notice before, so you're right these things change

Even though at the time, in my callow youth, aged 14 actually, I was massively disapponted that Foggy had left and didn't have the same feeling for Seymour, over time I have come to appreciate this episode for what it is....which is/was a marvellous intro for a new main character, support characters and an excellent feature length film.
It was/is very good and no matter how disappointing it was to see Foggy leave when the show was in its pomp, this episode has to be rated on its merits.
And its merits were that it was very good. It saw the introduction of Barry, Edie and Glenda and the full time introduction of Wesley and breathed another dimension into the show.

Exactly what i was thinking always watch this episode before elastic stockings as this was seymours into and they already knew him in that episode.This ranks in my top 3 of the specials behind Crums and All mod conned.

Exactly what i was thinking always watch this episode before elastic stockings as this was seymours into and they already knew him in that episode.This ranks in my top 3 of the specials behind Crums and All mod conned.

Aye, that's true enough Amos. I mighy put Whhoops and Fir Tree slightly ahead of it, purely for nostalgia/personal preference, but it's a very good feature length episode.
I've grown to really like it over time.

Aye, that's true enough Amos. I mighy put Whhoops and Fir Tree slightly ahead of it, purely for nostalgia/personal preference, but it's a very good feature length episode.

Didn't actually think of those two episodes Rob both very enjoyable particually when Foggy gets conned over the trees by Eric...Big Eric and in whoops with chuff,Gordon,Wally and Sid up the lamposts and Compos duck impressions.Genius
writing in both episodes.Inthink i will have these two episodes just bubbling under
my top 3. :)

Didn't actually think of those two episodes Rob both very enjoyable particually when Foggy gets conned over the trees by Eric...Big Eric and in whoops with chuff,Gordon,Wally and Sid up the lamposts and Compos duck impressions.Genius
writing in both episodes.Inthink i will have these two episodes just bubbling under
my top 3. :)
Not surprised more people saw Whoops than the premiere of Gone With The Wind in '81

Back