1983 Christmas Special; Getting Sam Home

I have also noticed that Wesley would be working on a car in one scene and in the next Barry is driving the same car. :) You never see the car Glenda went to church in again or the hearse that Wesley buys.
thought the hearse was in Barry's Christmas and A Leg Up for Christmas

I enjoyed this episode it was a very funny one and had a good plot and the supporting actors added to the overall brilliance of the show.Perhaps there is a difference in the way us Brits look at things and the way other nationalaties look at the same things.We have a dark humourus way and this showed up in Sam and all the plots and sub plots.Sams wife was typical of her type everything must look good from outside and she was happy for Sam to spend his time in his shed.Lily was his fun time all the things he couldnt have at home.

"Perhaps there is a difference in the way us Brits look at things "

NOT HARDLY!! And I really think Lilly Bless-Her is one of
my all time favorite SW characters. Loved her in OAH as well.

But I think the to-ing and fro-ing of Sam (alive or dead)
were really wonderful. The book version is great as well.

One thing I like about this episode is the dramatic 'edge' it has.

The episode does rely a lot on the book, and fortunately some of the words are able to be put into the characters 'thoughts', where the actor reads what he is supposed to be thinking. I like this device, it's very effective and was also used in Cheering Up Gordon (or was Boarding House Caper?) and There Goes the Groom.

In 1974, the series relied a lot on strong dialogue, so this may explain why the episode is quite a gritty one, as it uses much of the text of the book 9 years before.

Roy Clarke's later LOTSW novels were much tamer.

My only regret is that more of the first book couldn't have made it to the screen.

One has to wonder how it would have turned out if made in the mid 70s with Blamire in it. The book captures Blamire very well, though of course we are so used to Foggy being in this story.

It's also worth noting Nora and Wally Batty have very minor roles in this, in fact I don't even think they feature in the novel, though Wally Batty is mentioned.

I also love that film!! Those things that others hate about are the bits that I like about it. Interesting how different we all see it!

I think it is a great film - but agree that for some it will be seen as too dark. Each to their own - and that, incidentally, is what makes this forum an interesting read with different nuances.

The novel is even better, but obviously adaptations have to be made for the screen. And the parts of the novel that were really appropriate to Blamire did not get to the film as they did not necessarily fit with the Foggy character.

However I understand that it was one of the first, if not the first, time that a half hour show had been allowed to go to full length feature film: Uncle of the Bride followed in a similar vein.

During the 1970s, some of the best sitcoms were transferred to films at the cinema, which were made by film companies rather than the television company.

The novel could so easily have been made into a film, probably somewhere around 1974-1980. It was also the trend to use different directors and different filming locations, so imagine how things may have been.

I would have welcomed a film of the series, with any storyline.

When i initially tried to watch Getting Sam Home a few times, i just couldnt get into it at all.I couldnt get used to John Comers voice being dubbed by Tony Melody and i also missed the audience laughter.It happened to come on UKGold some time later and i was actually able to sit and watch it and by the end,had thoroughly enjoyed it.Since then it gets a regular outing on my DVD player and i still find it just as good each time.

Hector.

I think Tony Melody should get full marks for his efforts, very near perfect job.

I didn't know about that until the Ross and Bright book first came out. I noticed there was something different about him, but just assumed it was due to poor health.

I watched it last night cos there was nowt on the tv, thank god for dvds. This is one of my favorites of all time.

I am amazed at the difference of opinion

I watched this episode last night for the first time in ages. After settling in a couple of glasses of Red wine, I thought it was champion! Really enjoyed it. I think the lack of background laughter might detract a touch from it, but it still stands the test of time. It was such a shame about John Comer, even in that episode you could see he had lost weight and didn't look well.

think I read in the Vine book Foggy's fall was put in as payback for Brian insulting Alan Bell initially,pity it prob wasnt Brian who fell

think I read in the Vine book Foggy's fall was put in as payback for Brian insulting Alan Bell initially,pity it prob wasnt Brian who fell

Why? He started with Syd Lotterby and preferred him, where is the problem? Alan Bell sounds like a right hormonal tart from what I've read.

Umm, yes, I´d agree with that, Chuff!

Bunny, if it's a straight toss up between the fella whose introduction revolutioned the show and took it to new areas and the blert who filmed it and behaved like a baby when it suited him, then surely there is only one choice. Foggy and Clegg were the show for many years, Bell was just like a DJ who got his living from playing other peoples records.
Roy Clarke was the heartbeat of the show, Foggy, Clegg and Compo were the related vital organs, Bell was the one who filmed the genius. That's all he did.

Why? He started with Syd Lotterby and preferred him, where is the problem? Alan Bell sounds like a right hormonal tart from what I've read.
Brian and Alan became friends later they just got off on the wrong foot

That's as maybe mate, but Bell was nobody, just a fella who if he did but know it had the greatest job in the world. I'm sure we would have all given bodily organs to watch and fim them and be a part of it all. The writer and the actors were the show, not Bell.

Back