Yorkshire Cake

Again, thanks to ickysna2 and and7barton for the clarification. I learn all
sorts of things on this forum!

I never thought that coffee was that popular in Britain. We have been governed by the British for many years and although they have now gone our tea and teatime remained with us. Oh yes there are many who drink coffee but the tea still rules... I remember whne young we had no teabgas and had to brew loose leaf tea..
We both grew up drinking loose leaf tea but while the habit stuck with me herself took to coffee when we were courting and I could take her out for a meal! Wages permitting at the time! ;)

Twining's Earl Grey is the best tea I've had in ages.

I never tried Earl Grey. Is it a strong tea??? I love it strong... Has the teapot come out of fashion? I got use to putting the bags in the mug. I let the bags sit a while to get the best brew. I heard some time ago on the BBC radio that for health reasons you should only leave the bag for 63 seconds. That for sure is not long enough..

Twining's Earl Grey is the best tea I've had in ages.

I never tried Earl Grey. Is it a strong tea??? I love it strong... Has the teapot come out of fashion? I got use to putting the bags in the mug. I let the bags sit a while to get the best brew. I heard some time ago on the BBC radio that for health reasons you should only leave the bag for 63 seconds. That for sure is not long enough..

Au contraire, mon brave, Earl Grey is far from strong and is a scented/doctored variety:
"Earl Grey tea, sometimes incorrectly spelled as Earl Gray, is a tea blend with a distinctive flavour and aroma derived from the addition of oil extracted from the rind of the bergamot orange, a fragrant citrus fruit."

Yes I know about the different flavours and scented Earl Grey teas have but I am very traditional and keep to the regular flavoured strong cuppa...

Personally I prefer tea, but only with fruity flavours and only occasionally. I let you into a secret, another one who doesn´t like tea at all, and that´s Peter Sallis, always has coffee! I found that funny too, it´s such a cliche that the British all love tea that I took it for granted.

Good old American coffee drinker here who just thought he'd check the recent posts before bed. However, all these last posts about tea has made me decide to brew some before bed. Thanks a bunch for the idea.

Personally I prefer tea, but only with fruity flavours and only occasionally. I let you into a secret, another one who doesn´t like tea at all, and that´s Peter Sallis, always has coffee! I found that funny too, it´s such a cliche that the British all love tea that I took it for granted.

That was a big surprise to me. I never knew that peter was a coffee drinker. Live and learn.. I only like coffee on the weekends and it has to be brewed not disgusting instant.. LOL

Yes! I did, too! I'm surprised but "to each his own".

We must protest aganist those who drink coffee. But this brings a question why have the British begun to like coffee??? Does anyone know???

We have had coffee since the 17th century - coffee houses were the haunt of the rich and famous thus no surprise that Peter Sallis favours coffee!

So why is that you hear more about having a cuppa rather than a coffee..????

LOL, I think it´s less the tradition with Peter than the fact that he actually doesn´t like tea, he says he doesn´t even like the smell of it, never did. I suppose when he says that he is talking about what we call black tea in Germany, do you also call it black tea? Like darjeeling or so?

Speaking of coffee and tea, has anyone noticed that when the ladies are drinking coffee, if you look real closely, it appears that there is just water in their cups?

I have noticed that Ivy's tea looks very weak and milky, which is surprising as 'Yorkshire' people are supposed to be stronger than most. We prefer 'builders tea' down here.

Not everyone is the same. I like 2 teabags in my mug and I squeeze the heck out of them. My Mother likes it very weak. She reminds me of Daisy on Keeping up Appearances. I remember the vist of her sister etc she set out 5 mugs and dipped the same teabag 5 times.... It is a matter of taste. Also I prefer using canned evaporated milk.

Coffee and tea appeared in England around the same time (Tea- 1591, Coffee- 1637), but for some strange reason tea has always been considered more "English" than coffee. Coffee has always seemed slightly more sophisticated. Odd that.

Not everyone is the same. I like 2 teabags in my mug and I squeeze the heck out of them. My Mother likes it very weak. She reminds me of Daisy on Keeping up Appearances. I remember the vist of her sister etc she set out 5 mugs and dipped the same teabag 5 times.... It is a matter of taste. Also I prefer using canned evaporated milk.

A touch of the Auntie Wainwrights there!

Back