Yorkshire Cake

C

Compo

Easy to make and tastes great. Doubt if Ivy served it in her Cafe.

Yorkshire Cake

1 mug strong hot tea.

1 packet sultanas (normal size packet about 200 grams or so)

1 packet glazed fruit in small bits (smae size as above)

200 grams Demara sugar

250 grams self raising flour

1 beaten egg.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heat oven to 160
make greased and floured pan

Place fruit in bowl
pour hot tea and mix and let soak until cool
Add flour, sugar, and beaten egg
mix very well
Pour in pan
Bake one hour or until Knife come out clean
Leave to cool well before removing from pan

Good idea. I will have to eat cheese with it. What kind do you suggest?? I love any kind of cheese, actually I am a cheese addict.. It's a beautifull cake. The first time I saw it I wondered what it would taaste like made with tea. But we love it..

Good idea. I will have to eat cheese with it. What kind do you suggest?? I love any kind of cheese, actually I am a cheese addict.. It's a beautifull cake. The first time I saw it I wondered what it would taaste like made with tea. But we love it..

Wensleydale is often suggested - as in Wallace and Gromit (more connections)

Easy to make and tastes great. Doubt if Ivy served it in her Cafe.

Yorkshire Cake

1 mug strong hot tea.

1 packet sultanas (normal size packet about 200 grams or so)

1 packet glazed fruit in small bits (smae size as above)

200 grams Demara sugar

250 grams self raising flour

1 beaten egg.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heat oven to 160
make greased and floured pan

Place fruit in bowl
pour hot tea and mix and let soak until cool
Add flour, sugar, and beaten egg
mix very well
Pour in pan
Bake one hour or until Knife come out clean
Leave to cool well before removing from pan
This sounds good. What type of tea is best for this? Breakfast, Earl Gray, etc? I'll have to figure out the grams to cups conversion.

There is a brand of tea actually called Yorkshire Tea..it has a fairly strong flavour and makes a cracking brew,.And Wensleydale cheese would be ideal with it also being made in yorkshire.

There is a brand of tea actually called Yorkshire Tea..it has a fairly strong flavour and makes a cracking brew,.And Wensleydale cheese would be ideal with it also being made in yorkshire.

I think they serve Yorkshire Tea in Sid's Cafe and I agree it's a lovely cuppa

In our house we use Tetley. In desperation if we do not find Tetley we buy Typhoo. We love strong tea. If I use a mug I use two teabags... I am enjoying this forum as we talk about everything.. I never heard of Wensleydale cheese. So what is this cheese like in taste? Is it like cheddar or what? Never saw it here in Malta. I buy Kerry Gold Cheddar which I find is very good. But of course nothing beats Bluecheese, especially the creamy one.

A strange thing in our house, my wife does not like tea but loves cake with sultanas etc in (I dont) I am the tea drinker and I love Tetley or Yorkshire tea .So we will not be trying Yorkshire cake anytime soon. ::)

Here we find all kinds of sultanas, They are sort of seedless raisins. I don't like raisins. Demara sugar is a light coloured brown sugar,,,

A strange thing in our house, my wife does not like tea but loves cake with sultanas etc in (I dont) I am the tea drinker and I love Tetley or Yorkshire tea .So we will not be trying Yorkshire cake anytime soon. ::)

How could your wife not like tea? Is she British????? LOL. It is always time for a cuppa...

It's little wonder people don't recognise the sugar, as everyone has spelt the name WRONG so far !
It's DEMERARA, NOT Demara, from the name of the river in Guyana. It's in this area that the famous sugar is grown.

How could your wife not like tea? Is she British????? LOL. It is always time for a cuppa...
She'd sooner drink coffee and yes she is totally English!!(if the Scots and Welsh can do it so can we!!)

I always forget how to spell it so I write it as I guess the spelling.

I never thought that coffee was that popular in Britain. We have been governed by the British for many years and although they have now gone our tea and teatime remained with us. Oh yes there are many who drink coffee but the tea still rules... I remember whne young we had no teabgas and had to brew loose leaf tea..

Thanks, Compo, for that info. I'm going to try to make it and enjoy it with
some tea. mmmmmmmm....can hardly wait!

Back