Yorkshire Cake

I have noticed that Ivy's tea looks very weak and milky, which is surprising as 'Yorkshire' people are supposed to be stronger than most. We prefer 'builders tea' down here.

cheaper hence more profit!

And also they were never complimentary to Sid about the tea!

I have noticed that Ivy's tea looks very weak and milky, which is surprising as 'Yorkshire' people are supposed to be stronger than most. We prefer 'builders tea' down here.

That's a good cuppa is builders tea, if your going to drink tea it needs to taste of tea and not ferrets pee ;D Its like cheese the stronger the better ;)

Speaking of coffee and tea, has anyone noticed that when the ladies are drinking coffee, if you look real closely, it appears that there is just water in their cups?

Is that not fairly standard - in case of mishaps. Certainly on stage only use water and only half cups at most.

Coffee and tea appeared in England around the same time (Tea- 1591, Coffee- 1637), but for some strange reason tea has always been considered more "English" than coffee. Coffee has always seemed slightly more sophisticated. Odd that.

Could be fact that tea producing countries (such as India) became part of BRITISH Empire and much less so the main coffee producers. And coffee was more expensive and more difficult to make throughout BRITAIN until instant came along.

LOL, I think it´s less the tradition with Peter than the fact that he actually doesn´t like tea, he says he doesn´t even like the smell of it, never did. I suppose when he says that he is talking about what we call black tea in Germany, do you also call it black tea? Like darjeeling or so?

Interesting point on language maybe here. We don't tend to use the word "black" for tea but we do for coffee. One takes ones coffee "black" but more usually one takes ones tea "without" (in respect of the addition or otherwise of milk). And when it comes to heavy teas - like Darjeeling - the term "dark" or "heavy" comes into play.

Mark you Unc ,Lifeboat Tea is a good strong tea isnt it,we raised nearly £200 at a brew for the crew morning yesterday morning.

Easy to make and tastes great. Doubt if Ivy served it in her Cafe.

Yorkshire Cake

1 mug strong hot tea.

1 packet sultanas (normal size packet about 200 grams or so)

1 packet glazed fruit in small bits (smae size as above)

200 grams Demara sugar

250 grams self raising flour

1 beaten egg.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heat oven to 160
make greased and floured pan

Place fruit in bowl
pour hot tea and mix and let soak until cool
Add flour, sugar, and beaten egg
mix very well
Pour in pan
Bake one hour or until Knife come out clean
Leave to cool well before removing from pan

I read the recipe and suddenly realized that it is probably a much nicer version of Fruitcake, a much ballyhooed standard offering during Christmas in the States. Fruitcake is normally a dark and dense cake packed with lots of raisins and candied dried fruit.

I already posted a message on this subject but it never showed up. This is an excellent cake. I have done it a few times and it never failed except that it is eaten too fast. Give it a try...

I read the recipe and suddenly realized that it is probably a much nicer version of Fruitcake, a much ballyhooed standard offering during Christmas in the States. Fruitcake is normally a dark and dense cake packed with lots of raisins and candied dried fruit.

The density of fruitcake here in UK has a vast range culminating in our Christmas Cake which also has the benefit sometimes of a liberal addition of brandy (typically). And Wedding Cake is also very heavy - do we ever add brandy to that? But I do know that neither of these comes up to the heaviness of the US Christmas cake. For those interested see: https://www.collinstreet.com/pages/online_bakery/all_deluxe_fruitcakes

Also heavy in fruit also are our Christmas Pudding (Figgy Pudding in US if the Muppets are to be believed) and her in Scotland, New Year Black Bun.

This simple tea cake as I said is great. I am one that likes to add my own touch to a recipe. In this all I like to add is a few crushed Walnuts, that's all. But I repeat it is a great cake

Sorry I am a bit of a wimp I don't like strong tea, one tea bag last me a week !! I keep it in a little pot on the dresser, sorry tea drinkers don't disown me !! :-[ :-[

I agree that toasted teacakes with melting butter is a real treat.

In my mug I always put 2 Tetley tea bags. My Mum uses 1 bag maybe three times. We forgive you Norm. I am sure that we do things that you don't approve of. LOL

Lemon drizzle cake made by my lovely wife is a wonderful cake with a cup of tea ,must get the Yorkshire cake recipe.

Not everyone is the same. I like 2 teabags in my mug and I squeeze the heck out of them. My Mother likes it very weak. She reminds me of Daisy on Keeping up Appearances. I remember the vist of her sister etc she set out 5 mugs and dipped the same teabag 5 times.... It is a matter of taste. Also I prefer using canned evaporated milk.

It was told to me that during the Depression, my great aunt used to get five cups of tea out of one tea bag. Who knows, that could have been a standard practice.

Back