What is your Favourite Sandwich

Sugar sandwich, well, we have that here in Germany, except that we don´t eat so much toast, we mainly have "real" bread, many many sorts of bread. Most of us regard toast as some sort of floppy foam rubber that tastes of nothing really. But I remember having real bread with sugar a few times, but not often.

LOL, no, Terry, Knackwurst is the only thing I definitely can´t eat anymore. I ate one too fast when I was a child, you can guess what happened, since then I can´t stand them anymore.
how about Bratwurst?
LOL, no, I don´t like any sort of Wurst very much. Bratwurst is a little better though, or Currywurst. I don´t like beer either, nor Sauerkraut or what else people regard as typical German food. I´m not picky, but of all things it´s often those people associate with Germany.

So it is down to the Fish & Chip shop next time I am over

Sugar sandwich, well, we have that here in Germany, except that we don´t eat so much toast, we mainly have "real" bread, many many sorts of bread. Most of us regard toast as some sort of floppy foam rubber that tastes of nothing really. But I remember having real bread with sugar a few times, but not often.

LOL, no, Terry, Knackwurst is the only thing I definitely can´t eat anymore. I ate one too fast when I was a child, you can guess what happened, since then I can´t stand them anymore.
how about Bratwurst?
LOL, no, I don´t like any sort of Wurst very much. Bratwurst is a little better though, or Currywurst. I don´t like beer either, nor Sauerkraut or what else people regard as typical German food. I´m not picky, but of all things it´s often those people associate with Germany.

So it is down to the Fish & Chip shop next time I am over

I'll meet you there.....LOL

LOL, here and there you can even find a Fish and Chip shop here by now, even called like that, in English.
But our most common traditional fast food would be chips (which we call Pommes Frites, pronounced French, like Pomm Frit) and Currywurst or Schaschlik which is little pieces of tender meat on a skewer, so tasty! Instead of Chip shop you would say Pommesbude, and in "Pommesbude" the Pommes aren´t correctly pronounced French which they are in "Pommes Frites", but really "Pommes".
It´s interesting, a crusty cob seems to be something like a roll, is that right? When I google them, they look very much like something we like for breakfast here.

LOL, here and there you can even find a Fish and Chip shop here by now, even called like that, in English.
But our most common traditional fast food would be chips (which we call Pommes Frites, pronounced French, like Pomm Frit) and Currywurst or Schaschlik which is little pieces of tender meat on a skewer, so tasty! Instead of Chip shop you would say Pommesbude, and in "Pommesbude" the Pommes aren´t correctly pronounced French which they are in "Pommes Frites", but really "Pommes".
It´s interesting, a crusty cob seems to be something like a roll, is that right? When I google them, they look very much like something we like for breakfast here.
This is not so much about your food **** as the fact you mentioned Shaschlik. It awoke memories from my chidhood of watching black and white tv. I heard the word on these programmes and from the particular situations in the prog I assumed it to be a mildly chiding term like they use the word dillop on LOTSW. am I part right or have I been mixed up all these years?? :-[

This is not so much about your food **** as the fact you mentioned Shaschlik. It awoke memories from my chidhood of watching black and white tv. I heard the word on these programmes and from the particular situations in the prog I assumed it to be a mildly chiding term like they use the word dillop on LOTSW. am I part right or have I been mixed up all these years?? :-[

Oh, you mean, they said Schaschlik to people, using it as a mild insult? LOL, I have never heard that, but why not? It doesn´t sound impossible to me. Quite funny actually.

Hot - Peppered Beef Toastie with Toastie Bread

Cold - Tuna Mayonnaise Sandwich in a Scottish Morning Roll

I've spoken of my son's Pizza sarnies before. My eldest daughter came up with another variation tonight! :-\ Greggs sausage roll on brown bread with mash(Smash) on top with brown sauce ::)

I just had a meatloaf sandwich for breakfast. (I can almost hear you all throwing up....) but it was nice. Or at least washed down with my third espresso it was acceptable. Honest!
As we always made our own bread every sandwich was fab. Hot salty bacon will always be a favourite, especially if the bread is still quite hot, the bacon juices soak into it and it tastes brilliant! We don't make bread any more. I should, but I don't have the heart, really. Maybe this autumn I'll get back into it. After all the bread from supermarkets tastes like soggy chewing gum.

White sliced bread and butter with sweet biscuits for me. The husband likes jam sandwiches dipped in his tea. He was on the buildings in the days before 'cling film'.

One of my favourites is two slices of crusty bread, buttered, thick layer of well made mashed potatoes, sliced hard boiled egg, salt and pepper and mayonaise. Give it to me anyday..

Our son likes a sandwich with chips on it and of course Ketchup

My wife likes peanut butter and jam sandwiches...

Did I hear anyone say Marmite???????????????????? LOL

Charlie was American and they also like peanut butter and banana sandwiches..

I've spoken of my son's Pizza sarnies before. My eldest daughter came up with another variation tonight! :-\ Greggs sausage roll on brown bread with mash(Smash) on top with brown sauce ::)

Apart from the brown sauce which i'm not keen that actually sounds quite nice,Great invention :)

never understand why Americans call jam jelly

Two nations separated by a common language. And what we call jelly, US calls jello (I think). I presume the stem/root for this is gelatine.

UK biscuits US calls cookies and US biscuits are a form of small bread roll made with baking powder (not yeast).

But getting back to jam/jelly, worst US fault is failure to appreciate the joy of marmalade at breakfast. Grape jelly is no substitute. For best marmalade I would nominate "Old English"

Back