What is your Favourite Sandwich

Big Unc,

You are ny best friend for liking Marmalade. Breakfast just can't be without it. I might like to have eggs and bacon etc but after I want a slice of toast with butter and maramlade. I call it my desert. But I like the smooth marmalade and not the chunky one. I like the M&S marmalade but I do ahnage brands..

American sandwich

How to make Sweet and spicy grilled cheese sandwiches

1) Heat oil in a non-stick frying-pan over medium-high heat. Lower heat to medium. Add onions and saute, stirring, until edges are browned, about 10 to 12 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.

2) Place cheddar on one Slice of bread. Spread one tablespoon iof caramelised onions on top of cheese and top with Slice of pepper Jack. Top with one large or two medium slices tomato and other Slice of bread. Repeat with three other sandwiches.

3) Spray a nonstick frying-pan or griddle with cooking spray and heat until hot. Place sandwich on griddle and weigh down with a heavy pan or plate. Lower heat to medium-low and grill until underside is a deep brown but not burnt and cheese is partially melted, about 5 to 6 minutes. Flip sandwich and grill other side, an additional 4 to 5 minutes. Slice in half and serve hot.

Chicken Liver and Mushroom Open Sandwich

1 ciabatta
1 garlic clove, chopped in half
Olive oil
Salt
1 morcilla de burgos (Spanish black pudding)
180g seasoned flour for dusting the livers
410g chicken livers
120g butter
200g mixed mushrooms (chestnut, shitake, oyster)
2 shallots, finely chopped
1 tbsp tarragon, finely chopped
1 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
Squeeze lemon juice

Caribbean grilled toasties

For the mango salsa:

1/2 mango, diced into 1/2 cm pieces
1/4 red onion, diced into 1/2 cm pieces
1/4 red pepper, diced into 1/2 cm pieces
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
Pinch sugar
1/2 tsp sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper

For the sandwich:

40 g butter, at room temperature
1 tbsp curry powder
8 slices fresh Italian bread
60 ml honey mustard
8 slices Swiss cheese, (225 g)

Use imperial measurements

Method

How to make Caribbean grilled toasties

1) In a small bowl, mix together the mango, red onion, red pepper, lime juice, sugar, salt and pepper using a wooden spoon. Set aside until ready for use.

2) In a small bowl using a rubber spatula, mix the butter and curry together. Spread 2 tbsps of the butter mixture on one side of each slice of bread.

3) Place four slices of bread on your work surface, buttered side down. Spread the honey mustard on the other side of the bread. Place about 2 tbsps of the mango salsa on the bread followed by the Swiss cheese. (You may need to fold the cheese slices to fit the bread.) Place the remaining four bread slices on top, buttered side up.

4) Add the remaining curry butter to a non-stick skillet on medium heat for 2 minutes. Put the sandwiches in the skillet (in batches if necessary), cover with the lid and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the underside is golden brown and the cheese has started to melt. Flip the sandwiches with a spatula and press very firmly. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Turn once more, press with a spatula and cook for 30 seconds.

5) Remove the sandwiches from the pan and let them cool for 3 to 5 minutes. Cut diagonally and serve with extra salsa on the side.

Cook's note: The salsa can be made one day ahead and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before using.

How about a hot roast beef sandwich with hot mustard.

Best I ever tasted was in a British bar in Cape Kennedy, Florida. (They served draft Bass). Beef was fresh roasted, bread was a delicious sour-dough and they even had real hot UK horse-radish. I must confess I do find US beef takes a lot of beating.

How about a hot roast beef sandwich with hot mustard.

When we were staying in Holfirth at The Old Bridge we had hot beef sandwiches which came served on a plate of gravy. It was a bit messy to eat, but nice.

Messy food is great tasting. The only thing is that the chips get soggy.

One of my best sandwiches was from a shop round the corner from Jimmies in Harehills, Leeds where we queued, consultants as well as all sorts of other staff for a bacon, egg and tomato sandwich. Served by an older man who called you 'love' and, obviously pre H & S days, always had a cigarette end hanging out the corner of his mouth (bit like Judd in Short Back and Palais Glide) ...

Back