Update on job situation

Marina'sTwin

Dedicated Member
Well y'all I haven't been around for a while because my job is very demanding. I like my job but it's not worth going back to the psych ward over. Yeah you read that right. I've been in the psych ward six times and I have the bracelets to prove it. I really don't want to go back. So I'm looking for a new job because I know myself and I know that working for a collections agency will eventually drive me crazy. Well, crazier. I am being verbally assaulted by people who don't want to pay their bills at least three times a day. And while I'm not ready to go off the deep end yet I know if I stay too much longer I'll be right back where I started. In the back of a police car, with my hair all over the place and mascara streaks everywhere, on my way to a maximum security psych ward in Columbia, South Carolina. It took a lot of guts to post this so please no hate speech. I just had to tell someone. And maybe I'm asking y'all to keep me in your thoughts right now. Thanks.

Hate speeches?? On here?? Never :46:
I can't think of a single member here that would do that.

My daughter worked for the council in the Poll Tax dept. She used to come home crying most days because of the abuse she got on the phone everyday, just constant nastiness from people who didn't even know her.

She wasn't the one sending out the bills or the reminders or the one that made the calculation mistakes all she did was answer the phone.

People get angry and just lash out at the first person who answers the phone and that's not nice at all I never shout at the first,second or third person up the line I wait for the manager's manager then I let rip.

Good luck with your job search let us know how it goes :)

We've all tried to be your buddy's Holly and will welcome you getting settled in a new job. :) :wink:

Some folk are suited to jobs like this but many are not,any job at the end of a phone can have problems,I did tech support in telecommunications some years back,and callers would get mad at me because they have broken their telephone and will have to pay to get it fixed,I was far happier being customer facing when they tended not to get mad at the chap who had come to fix the problem.
So Holly I am sure you will find something that suits you better

Terry

Not many people have the rhinoceros hide required to phone debtors and demand payment. Thank goodness! I wouldn't want to live in a world where the majority of people completely lacked empathy. You're wise to get yourself out of that job, Holly. Best of luck on your upcoming job hunt.

Marianna

I support you in locating another job pronto!! It's really not worth getting strung out over. But while you're still there, make sure you rack up brownie points so that your resume looks good. Make sure that you arrive on time, fulfill all of your duties, etc. And if you have a day when you really can't face the job, call in sick. Nobody has to know that it's really sick and tired leave. Can you use your lunch hour to decompress? Ensure that you actually get out of the office, have a decent meal, and decompress.

Oh, Holly, we all feel bad for you, I am sure. Keep on persevering. Look online maybe, search the local township, etc. Entry level would even be good. I recently had a very officious demanding lady call us up that we owed $6,000 for emergency visit hubby had last year. There was nothing in her voice that indicated she was human, lol. Turns out the hospital put the wrong address in for us and blah blah blah . . but I got it straightened out thru a lovely woman in the hospital. I didn't get angry with the collection lady cause I knew we had excellent health coverage, but she sure was asking for it with her tone. Keep looking, try civil service application. I know quite a few ladies that work for Verizon telephone. You might have to apply online these days. Talk to people. Ask the service worker having his coffee in the diner. ya never know.

Thanks y'all. When I posted that I thought y'all wouldn't want to have anything to do with me anymore since I've been in a psych ward. But only because I've learned to expect people to hate me because of that since it happens all the time where I come from. It's really upsetting for me right now because I liked the job at first. I would laugh about people yelling at me and ripping me to shreds, but that kind of thing gets really old really fast. It's pretty much worn me down to the point where I dread going in every day. I'm more upset with myself than the job because I feel like a total failure. Anyway I've got some friends and family members looking into other jobs for me. They've been very understanding because they know me and they don't wanna see me go back to the psych ward either, so they've offered to help me look for other jobs so I can have lots of options. And I go to the library during my lunch break to look online for places that have openings. Plus I love the library so it really helps me calm my nerves. I'd probably love to work in the library! Lol maybe I'll ask if they're hiring there tomorrow! As far as eating goes, yeah, I don't usually eat if I can get away with it but that might be contributing to my problem so I should try to pack a lunch or spend my money on something other than clothes, shoes, manicures, and Starbucks. You know, like food. Lol But really, thanks for being so supportive y'all. I'll keep y'all posted on how things turn out.

Last edited:
Ah, good to hear a turn around in your voice. I have a nephew over toward Hilton Head. Wish you lived closer to him, I would force him ( somehow ) to give you a job. But he is in pest control, lol. ewwwww. Anywho, have a Good Labor day weekend !

Just an update. I'll be staying at my current job for another month because my cousin promised to sell me his car for $1,500 and I can make more than enough for that in the next few weeks. And by that time I'm sure I'll have another job lined up so I'll be able to pay for the car insurance. I don't think one more month will make me lose it but too much longer than that might so I'm gonna double my efforts to find another job. I think maybe starting such an emotionally draining job right after my aunt passed away wasn't the best decision I've ever made. But I'm 20 years old so what do you expect? Lol

If your paying off the car at least you have something to work for. Just remember when people shout at you its not you there shouting at its the situation they're in and are just lashing out at a voice on the phone, stay polite and cheery, that'll P** them off more but at least you don't have to see them. :)

If your paying off the car at least you have something to work for. Just remember when people shout at you its not you there shouting at its the situation they're in and are just lashing out at a voice on the phone, stay polite and cheery, that'll P** them off more but at least you don't have to see them. :)

Sounds like something the real Pearl would say! Lol And I'm not really taking what they say personally ( even though one b*tch called me a "stupid southern whore" ) it's more the stress getting to me than anything else. And with Borderline Personality Disorder, too much stress is the last thing I need. I think I'm happier helping people who aren't angry about having to pay their bills. I'd rather go back to being a waitress until I can get my journalism degree. I'm currently looking at online courses for that. I think I'm gonna go with Ashford University. I gotta further my education somehow and I've got to be able to have time to do that so I really need a less demanding and emotionally draining job. I put in a couple of applications today and made sure the people knew I won't be available until the end of next month so things are gonna work out for me I've just got to get through these next few weeks.

Holly, sorry to hear about the job wearing you down girl. Working with the public is rough sometimes, but working with those who cause their own problems, I would be pulling my hair out. Hang in there and don't let them get to you. I sense you are a strong woman.

As for the psych ward, the brain is the most complex part of our body and is what we know the least about. You were just taking care of your health going into the hospital. I am more concerned about people I do know that need to have their brains looked into,but think there is nothing wrong with them. A family member of mine has been in the hospital a few times and even had several shock treatment, which really makes the person really fuzzy, and confused for a while. What I am getting at is, going into the psyche ward is like going to the orthopedic for a broken leg. Because people don't understand it , they tend to make fun of. Not from me sister. I have lived with it and you have my support and understanding.

Don't let this job break you girl. Your health is most important. :respect:

Holly, sorry to hear about the job wearing you down girl. Working with the public is rough sometimes, but working with those who cause their own problems, I would be pulling my hair out. Hang in there and don't let them get to you. I sense you are a strong woman.

As for the psych ward, the brain is the most complex part of our body and is what we know the least about. You were just taking care of your health going into the hospital. I am more concerned about people I do know that need to have their brains looked into,but think there is nothing wrong with them. A family member of mine has been in the hospital a few times and even had several shock treatment, which really makes the person really fuzzy, and confused for a while. What I am getting at is, going into the psyche ward is like going to the orthopedic for a broken leg. Because people don't understand it , they tend to make fun of. Not from me sister. I have lived with it and you have my support and understanding.

Don't let this job break you girl. Your health is most important. :respect:

Thanks girl! You're right. A lot of people do make fun of what they don't understand. My friends are actually a little more understanding but they tend to think it's like what they see in movies so they get a little disappointed when I tell them that I wasn't in a straight jacket the whole time or that I only had to have one shot and it was a flu vaccine! Lol

Thanks girl! You're right. A lot of people do make fun of what they don't understand. Lol

So true, and that shot you got, just don't let them give you haladol!!! (spelling) That is a wicked anti psychotic drug. What crazy side effects. :12::12: My husband once said, if someone had a heart attack or a stroke , broken arm everyone shows such compassion, but mention a mental illness and that person is crazy(i hate that word), or not right. If there are no bones sticking out, or effects to awful treatment they get put in that category of "crazy", did I tell you I hate that word.

Chin up you shall see this through.

So true, and that shot you got, just don't let them give you haladol!!! (spelling) That is a wicked anti psychotic drug. What crazy side effects. :12::12: My husband once said, if someone had a heart attack or a stroke , broken arm everyone shows such compassion, but mention a mental illness and that person is crazy(i hate that word), or not right. If there are no bones sticking out, or effects to awful treatment they get put in that category of "crazy", did I tell you I hate that word.

Chin up you shall see this through.

YES, what Brenda said. It may never rain , but pour, but you'll be right as rain soon. Good Luck. Stiff upper lip, lol.

.......And I go to the library during my lunch break to look online for places that have openings. Plus I love the library so it really helps me calm my nerves. I'd probably love to work in the library! Lol maybe I'll ask if they're hiring there tomorrow! .......

Just beware of a librarian called Wainwright!:smile::smile::smile:

Lol Ya'll are awesome sauce! (Sorry for the teenage slang!) Lol I'm currently lying in bed exhausted from a rough day at work and y'all made me feel so much better with those posts! Lol I'm starting to feel better about going to work every day because once I knock out this week I'll have three more weeks to go. And then I'll knock out next week and have two more. And then after that I'll have one more. You get the idea. I guess knowing that I'm leaving is making it easier. I'm also going to talk to the manager of one of the places I put in an application for tomorrow so if he decides to hire me for next month that's really going to lift my spirits. If not, then I've got applications in everywhere so someone's bound to hire me by the end of the month. It'll work out for me. I'm going to make sure it does. :)

No danger of any hate speech here Holly. Pearl would be all over them like a rash if that were the case:20:
Lean on your friends and stay strong, I'm sure you'll find a job where you don't have to take such personal abuse.

Back