Tomorrow

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
I am having wireless internet installed,which if all works out I may have 3 times my current download speed and 20 times my current upload speed,the signal that is 4G is transmitted from a tower block in Lincoln which is around 9 miles away in a direct line and I think I should have a good line of sight to the antenna so it should have no problem reaching me,by noon tomorrow I will know if it's going to work,then I have a month to test it before I part with any money,all being well I can say bye bye to the BT line and Broadband,save myself a few quid and have a decent speed,I hope it works at it still looks like we are 18 months away from getting anything like superfast broadband from the big companies,keep your fingers crossed for me and I will report back when I know more
Terry

Well it was touch and go for a little while,all up and running now,so some heavy testing to be done before I decide it is Okay to bin all the BT bits,I have a few weeks before I need to make that decision,the install team were very good,nothing was to much trouble and they left the place clean and tidy,very happy at the moment :17::17:

Not at all sure how to compare costs and services, but ...

What will it cost you monthly?

What will your download and upload speeds be??

Not at all sure how to compare costs and services, but ...

What will it cost you monthly?

What will your download and upload speeds be??

I was getting about 20 Mbs up and down yesterday,but it seems they have set my profile and today it is about 15 down and 8 up,cost is £27.50 a month or just under £30 a month with a 24/7 call package as my calls go over VOIP via my router,so saving me about £11 a month compared with BT with line rental,dsl,call package and caller line identity,my download speed has about doubled, and the upload is far improved as with BT it is fixed at 0.5 MBs and often lower

Leads on to a question I meant to ask this afternoon, does this new system need the "Settling down" period, like the BT Fibre?

It seem that as the dish has it's own ip address, they can remotely access the dish and set a suitable profile,I did once yesterday hit 33 MBs down,which is verging on VDSL, and once it hit 31 Mbs up that is much better than VDSL as that only does 20Mbs up on the top package,only FTTP would improve on that

I was getting about 20 Mbs up and down yesterday,but it seems they have set my profile and today it is about 15 down and 8 up,cost is £27.50 a month or just under £30 a month with a 24/7 call package as my calls go over VOIP via my router,so saving me about £11 a month compared with BT with line rental,dsl,call package and caller line identity,my download speed has about doubled, and the upload is far improved as with BT it is fixed at 0.5 MBs and often lower

Truly Impressed here!!

You are paying round about $50 (US) a month for internet and phone? And getting
about 15-20Mbs down and about 8 up?? Whew!

We are paying about $75 (US) a month for standard (unlimited calls) wire phone and a
mere 2.1 Mbps down. I am well and truly jealous!

Truly Impressed here!!

You are paying round about $50 (US) a month for internet and phone? And getting
about 15-20Mbs down and about 8 up?? Whew!

We are paying about $75 (US) a month for standard (unlimited calls) wire phone and a
mere 2.1 Mbps down. I am well and truly jealous!

I have heard from several friends that internet in general in the USA can be slow and expensive,I suspect if you live in a big city then things are better,but maybe the cost is still high, in the uk it can vary in speed to where you live but the price is more or less the same,in fact some for can get 80 MBs down and 20 MBs for less than you are paying Chuck, there is still many parts of the uk that have slow speeds and it will be 2-3 years before they get improvements, BT are proud to say there is a million homes now connected to high speed internet,but on a scale of things that's just the tip of the iceberg,places like Korea laugh at anything less that 1Gbit speeds in every home.

I think that rural parts of the uk will rely on wireless connections for decent speeds so the Government can then say they have hit the targets they set a few years back

I'll have to check around and look for a wireless connection.

Right now, we are on DSL from the phone company. The only
other option I have seen is Time-Warner Cable, which is more
expensive, the fees keep going up frequently, and it's not
all that much faster.

ALL our plans include the term "up to" when quoting speeds,
but the "up to" speed is never reached. So you really don't
know what you will get till you get it.

I'll have to check around and look for a wireless connection.

Right now, we are on DSL from the phone company. The only
other option I have seen is Time-Warner Cable, which is more
expensive, the fees keep going up frequently, and it's not
all that much faster.

ALL our plans include the term "up to" when quoting speeds,
but the "up to" speed is never reached. So you really don't
know what you will get till you get it.

In the uk they use to use the term up to but they now should give a much more accurate figure of what you will actually get after they got their wrist slapped by Ofcom

Not at all sure just how driven I am now. For years, I have been downloading
UK TV shows on torrents from web sites now gone (TheBox for example).
Got mega downloads of all of Heartbeat, The Royal, Last Detective, The
Sweeney, Doctor Finlay, etc etc. But with that (those ?) sites closed down,
not sure what I'd do with the extra speed. Currently looking at tvchaosuk.
Not promising yet.

In any case, have you seen the youtube sendup of Hetty Wainthropp
called Wetty Hainthropp?? Gonna watch that tonite.

It seem that as the dish has it's own ip address, they can remotely access the dish and set a suitable profile,I did once yesterday hit 33 MBs down,which is verging on VDSL, and once it hit 31 Mbs up that is much better than VDSL as that only does 20Mbs up on the top package,only FTTP would improve on that

I am just a bemused end user .... feel lost ... in space (cue old TV programme :42: :42: :42:)

Not at all sure just how driven I am now. For years, I have been downloading
UK TV shows on torrents from web sites now gone (TheBox for example).
Got mega downloads of all of Heartbeat, The Royal, Last Detective, The
Sweeney, Doctor Finlay, etc etc. But with that (those ?) sites closed down,
not sure what I'd do with the extra speed. Currently looking at tvchaosuk.
Not promising yet.

In any case, have you seen the youtube sendup of Hetty Wainthropp
called Wetty Hainthropp?? Gonna watch that tonite.

Here is a link to the best speeds I have had so far http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3675063264

Is this some secret code - as used by spies? :biggrin: :29: :42: ::)

I agree. All of this technical talk is making my head swim. But come to think of it, the need to break a code was the actual impetus towards the start of all of this stuff.

Move country maybe an option

If I did not have 4 bedrooms full of STUFF I would have moved
to Hawes several years ago. Just too much stuff to unload.
Mostly books, old records, and old furniture. None of which is
terribly moveable. Some day ....

I'm getting 40Mbps download 2.96 Mbps upload, which I believe is great, but I am paying out of the teeth for it. My son is a gamer and I bought the fastest package. Going to downgrade now that he has gone off to school. Charter has a lot of rural customers by the kiwi's because there is no competition and charge outlandish prices. I pay way too much, but there is no one even close to these speeds. So I pay $125 month for it. I told them as soon as someone comes in I am dropping them like a bad habit, and I hope when they meet their maker they get no sympathy. I have hear other people in Missouri complain about Charter also.

Back