The changing face of.........SOCIETY.

MoodyBlue

Dedicated Member
I have been thinking.......what was the main thing that attracted us all to "our show" ?.......it was the dialogue between 3 old friends....sometimes aimless dialogue....sometimes thought provoking dialogue.....but dialogue never the less.......it was about long lasting friendships...about camarderie....about adventures....about always being there for each other................and now I move to the present.......I have just stepped off a bus that was full to the brim......I was the ONLY person not looking at a phone.....no one was talking.....in fact 2 people sitting opposite each other were texting each other !!!....what worries me is that in the very near future there will be no interviews for jobs,no converstions at bus stops or at train stations,no laughter in pubs.....simply because the younger generation cannot look someone in the eye and converse !!......how I long for the days when 3 old friends would stroll around TALKING,LAUGHING,SHARING,CARING,AND ENJOYING THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE........
All my love to each and every "Summerwine Family Member".
Keith.
X!.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the phone zombies are taking over! It's as though people have ADHD and need to be constantly stimulated and can't just be quiet with their thoughts or have a conversation with someone. There will probably be a generation of people with neck problems as they get older from looking down at their phones

IF Shakespeare was living present day we wouldn't have all his manuscripts etc he would donate his hard drive to the nation .

As a talking point I mooted buying a ventriloquist's dummy and taking it to establishments with me a talk to it plus try and get it to talk back . I mentioned this to several couples where one of them is on the phone and the other is sat like a lemon . I used the Ken Dodd sketch to illustrate why I had resisted thus far . I said its a great idea but I was concerned that when I asked the dummy if he wanted "A big beautiful bottle of brown ale and some bread and butter or a shandy" I knew he'd ask for the former . The person without the phone laughed their head off the other one on the phone smiled that sickly grin knowing fine well I was criticising them in a roundabout way. :)

I have noticed the increased use of the words Like or Kinda in not only youngsters, but also their parents as if their children have programmed them that this is how to hold any conversation these days, these words seemed to be used in every 3rd or 4th word they speak and even more often when they use them together, sad init :16:

Trying to get people to sit together at the dinner table - and without phones or devices.

That is great thing people don't seem to think is important.

What could be better than talking about your day, or things in general over a meal, or a pint?
Huge thing in my house, no phones at the table and I'm glad to say both my daughters have carried that over to their kids.

I have noticed the increased use of the words Like or Kinda in not only youngsters, but also their parents as if their children have programmed them that this is how to hold any conversation these days, these words seemed to be used in every 3rd or 4th word they speak and even more often when they use them together, sad init :16:

I've noticed that too, but especially with Americans.

Yes it is kinda like that, nowadays, init? Sorry....I couldn't resist, maltrab. :fp:

The art of conversation is dying, is it not? I think the English language is also becoming a shadow of it's former self too. Slang, abbreviations and mispronunciation are all becoming the norm in speech for many a younger person these days. And don't get me started on people dropping consonants, especially in the middle of their words.

Last edited:
Could of,Should of instead of Could have,Should have gets on my nerves,when they say or write could of do they really think that is the correct way of saying or writing it.
When I worked there were a lot of younger people around 20 years old,and you would get half a dozen of them in the room all heads down looking at their phones,and they would all laugh at the same time,they were having a conversation but in a group chat or Facebook or whatever,and then when it came to dealing with the public,apart from the script that they had learnt parrot fashion,they would sit in total silence because they didn’t know how to talk to someone.
I wonder what impact smartphones would have had on some of the Summer Wine storylines,I guess it would have helped Howard and Marina out a lot,the only time I can remember a mobile phone featured was in Follow that bottle,and Truly was hopeless with it,but that wasn’t a smartphone though.

Lol I kind of wish my mom would make an account here, she would definitely agree and have a lot to say because she's constantly telling me to put my phone down! Lol I do put my phone down quite often, when I have to do some work on my laptop. I know I'm still using technology but I'm doing something productive. Lol I actually forgot where I was going with this post...Lol

The local Chamber of Commerce has put out a statement yesterday on our local radio saying that most Manufacturers in Telford are no longer recruiting under 21's do to their unreliability. Appreciate this is tarring them all with the same brush, but I suspect there must be some reasons why they're taking this radical step....

Lol if I'm quiet today, it's not because I feel very called out by this post, it's because my summer classes start today and I've got to figure some stuff out for my capstone project. I do agree with this post to an extent, I promise. Lol

Sadly we have come too far with phones we need to go back to the utmost basic of models where it wasn't about apps and more about the peas which someone had to eat before you could take charge of your new phone . IF you wanted to message someone at the other end of your conversation then it was best achieved by writing it on a piece of paper , folding it into a paper plane and throwing it to them . Photographs are very much the same stamp you draw what you want to send whether that is a building , self portrait , landscape , sadly the phone didn't come with a stylus so you had to "borrow" your Mum's free Argos pen or your old man's Ladbroke's pencil to "take " pictures.

The antivirus "software" was basically washing the phone is Fairy liquid and scrubbing it clean. The wallpaper was whatever the brand advertising that was wrapped around it but often the default was the natural metal colour silver or gold .

To make a call didn't involve typing in a number you simply shouted down the "phone" or tug the cable several times until the call recipient picked up [the receiver that is ] . There was no data storage as such but you could stick your chewing gum on the side while you talked and then continue chewing it after the call.

The terms of you contract depended on what your mum served for tea, no waiting 2 years you could pretty much change your phone every day . Battery life wasn't an issue well not unless your mate decided to stand on it and squash it but there are models that have reduced a salt and have no battery . Contracts with all modern phones are complex and its difficult to know what to opt for when getting a new phone but with these models there are no strings attached , you dictate the length of the contract or should I say string.

phones.jpg

Could of,Should of instead of Could have,Should have gets on my nerves,when they say or write could of do they really think that is the correct way of saying or writing it.
When I worked there were a lot of younger people around 20 years old,and you would get half a dozen of them in the room all heads down looking at their phones,and they would all laugh at the same time,they were having a conversation but in a group chat or Facebook or whatever,and then when it came to dealing with the public,apart from the script that they had learnt parrot fashion,they would sit in total silence because they didn’t know how to talk to someone.
I wonder what impact smartphones would have had on some of the Summer Wine storylines,I guess it would have helped Howard and Marina out a lot,the only time I can remember a mobile phone featured was in Follow that bottle,and Truly was hopeless with it,but that wasn’t a smartphone though.
That's annoying too, people having conversations by text when they are in the same room as each other. What is just as bad is when they see something good online, then text or email it over to the other person, instead of passing the actual phone over for them to look at. Unless the other person wants a copy for themselves though.

Back