Occupations We Don't See Anymore

I can see the job of bin collector could soon be finished, some of the bin lorries now have a arm the wraps around the modern bins, tips it in the lorry and places it back, the driver lines the bin up on his screen, pushes a button, then when the bin is emptied moves onto the next one
Ahh but who’s going to do the job of the man with the stick who prods in the bin to check you’re not mixing your refuse up?

Milk float driver (queue up the trumpet)?
We have a bit of a milk float war around here as there’s always a new chap knocking on the door trying to get us to sign up for deliveries.
My mate is the local milkman but we don’t use him as we are very irregular users of it so it’s easier for us to buy a 2 litre bottle from the shop as and when we need it.
He’s got an all singing and dancing electric van now… mind you when I did it back in 1980 I also used an electric float although a bit slower and noisier!

If I have this correct Barrychuckle, the "Popman" was a delivery driver of "softdrink"? eg. Lemonade etc?

If so he is definitely dead!...My dad was a "lemonade" driver in Scotland in the 50's... Long gone now!...Mind you, would you WANT a 94 year old lorry driver? :fp:

I’ve always enjoyed Two Doors Down written by Simon Carlyle and Gregor Sharp. The episodes over Christmas were great, brilliant cast too you should give it a watch Captain.

I have watched it but I found it a bit laboured and in some episodes the pedestrian manner of the dialogue got on my nerves . It is a good cast "Mary Doll" is perhaps the best of the bunch

There was also Vernon pools
And Zetters Pools, on the subject of door to door occupations - the industrial insurers such as Refuge, Co-Op & The Pearl are no longer around. I used to work with many who used to do that job. I really think they played an important role in encouraging families protect and save for their futures visiting every week.

• “A link-boy (or link boy or linkboy) was a boy who carried a flaming torch to light the way for pedestrians at night. Linkboys were common in London in the days before the introduction of gas lighting in the early to mid 19th century. The linkboy's fee was commonly one farthing, and the torch was often made from burning pitch and tow.”
  • Quoted from Wikipedia “Link-boy”
There is a lovely example of a link snuffer on Gordon Square, in Bloomsbury, and another on one of the crescents in Bath.

• “A link-boy (or link boy or linkboy) was a boy who carried a flaming torch to light the way for pedestrians at night. Linkboys were common in London in the days before the introduction of gas lighting in the early to mid 19th century. The linkboy's fee was commonly one farthing, and the torch was often made from burning pitch and tow.”
  • Quoted from Wikipedia “Link-boy”
There is a lovely example of a link snuffer on Gordon Square, in Bloomsbury, and another on one of the crescents in Bath.
Wow! I thought I knew a little about history and I never knew this job existed!

Can imagine it was quite a perilous occupation for the boys in London at that time.

Back