Occupations We Don't See Anymore

Barrychuckle

Administrator
Staff member
Whilst away on holiday, I hired a car and to my surprise the petrol stations are not self service so an attendant fills all the cars with fuel and you sit in your car. Also when you go to the supermarket an assistant sits at the end of the checkout and packs your shopping into bags for you. I found them both really inefficient as I could have probably done both tasks in less time myself, but at the same time I think it's quaint and also gives people jobs to do.

These are just 2 occupations that I recall from my childhood but don't seem to exist anymore. Can you think of any other occupations that you remember that you don't see anymore?

Sad to say I know a little bit about Lino as I'm thinking of getting it down in my kitchen. The modern stuff is amazing, not the shiny spongy stuff of yesteryear. Most of the carpet shops sell it and it's becoming increasingly popular as you cannot tell the decent stuff apart from wood.
I covered the cupboards in my campervan with an off cut of this new fangled flooring as the old stuff had faded. It went on a treat.
2A8893B9-8A69-428B-827C-070896A2C745.jpeg

I like it in The League of Gentlemen when Pauline is trying to list jobs for her Restart class of occupations they could do and Bramble Picker comes up as a possibility :p

Years ago we lived in central London for a short time, my dad was at the labour exchange every week with no luck, he was a shepherd

I can see the job of bin collector could soon be finished, some of the bin lorries now have a arm the wraps around the modern bins, tips it in the lorry and places it back, the driver lines the bin up on his screen, pushes a button, then when the bin is emptied moves onto the next one

Back