New episodes of Are You Being Served? and Porridge

For those disappointed by this Sitcom Season - you didn't actually think something new was going to be outstandingly brilliant, did you?![/QUOTE]

I had hoped that as well as new one off versions of classics they would have developed a sort of Comedy Playhouse type airing of new pilots which some years ago yielded Open All Hours and Porridge but perhaps that was a bit too ambitious .

Well I'm almost sure Mrs Arkwright , I'll take the Oxtail................. or should I take the Tomato Soup . " T-T-T-T-T-Take your time Mavis I-I-I-I-I'll S-S-S-Serve Mrs Blewitt! "

[never mind taking my time , think I need to keep taking the tablets]

Just watched the lost Hancock Half Hour and I have to say I enjoyed it . Like Alf Garnett this again is a stage play , Katy Wix [ Daisy in Not Going Out] is excellent as the Hattie Jacques character, Kevin McNally is really good as Hancock but Robin Sebastian as the Kenneth Williams character almost steals the show the mannerisms and voice are perfect . If only they had done the rest in this style and genre they would have been so much better. Appears that Steptoe is to be done the same way and I imagine Up Pompeii likewise.

Last edited:
Just watched the lost Hancock Half Hour and I have to say I enjoyed it . Like Alf Garnett this again is a stage play , Katy Wix [ Daisy in Not Going Out] is excellent as the Hattie Jacques character, Kevin McNally is really good as Hancock but Robin Sebastian as the Kenneth Williams almost steals the show the mannerisms and voice are perfect . If only they had done the rest in this style and genre they would have been so much better. Appears that Steptoe is to be done the same way and I imagine Up Pompeii likewise.
Me too , an original HHHHancock fan . Not perfect but the Kenneth Williams character almost brilliant. I definitely could watch another!! My son , over 20 years younger, really enjoyed it.:36::cautious:

I enjoyed the Hancock episode too.

Kevin McNally made an excellent Hancock, considering he's probably 20 years older than Hancock would have been.

This is a good way to see that excellent writing that otherwise would be lost.

I'm not sure about these transparent, improvised sets, though it resembled the outline of the living room at 23 Railway Cuttings. I think I would prefer to see more accuracy in getting the sets to look they would have done in the original shows - something Are You Being Served achieved with their clothing department.

Liked all the shows so far, though I don't have any faith in the Steptoe episode to be shown on Wednesday. Prove me wrong.

Is there an Up Pompeii episode then? I had heard Miranda Whatever-She's-Called was going to take on the Frankie Howerd role, but pulled out.

There may be better things this evening there is a one hour documentary about the history of sitcom on BBC4 at 21:00 for those who may be interested . I imagine that it will be available on catch up .

Back