New episodes of Are You Being Served? and Porridge

wstol

Dedicated Member
So what did you think of these new episodes made to celebrate 60 years of BBC sitcoms?

I thought both were very worthy attempts.

I could see the effort put both shows.

Are You Being Served? was carefully designed to fit between the original series and the sequel Grace and Favour.

Porridge followed Fletcher's grandson in prison. The most umbelievable factor (of several) was that the chief officer was Scottish and very much the same as the original MacKay.

I was disappointed that Nicholas Lyndhurst didn't reprise his role as Raymond Fletcher, but there you go.

These two programmes have, naturally, been panned by both the critics and the public - but I see these shows as a bit of fun.

I didn't see Porridge only 'Are you being served?'. I think the actors worked hard to represent the original characters as they were but I felt the gags seemed dated which I don't notice so much in the original programmes. Too many jokes about Mrs Slocombe's pet!

But it must be extremely difficult to portray original characters when they are so well known to us all! But as you said it was meant to be a bit of fun and well done to them for their effort. Perhaps it proves the point that some things are best left in their original state and shouldn't be revamped/remodelled and are classics that can't be bettered!:37::17::01:

Have to admit, I tried to watch both of them, but in both cases gave up after just a few minutes.
With the updated Are you being served they seem to just want to rekindle the old format, simply replacing the cast. That can't be done, it was terrible.
At least with Porridge they tried to bring it up to date, using a current comedy format. I'm far too old for that, I find current comedy soporific.......ZZZZzzzzzzz!

I thought both shows were at least in the spirit of the originals. Many re-makes can miss that, and so much is changed that it might as well be something completely different.

Yes I second that but I think Porridge is shown on Gold TV. I wonder is Gothic still 'napping' after watching the shows? Zzzzzzzzz?

Young Hyacinth is on tonight written by our genius Roy Clarke

Thanks for letting me know. I'll take a look at 'Young Hyacinth' but I have to be honest and say Goodnight Sweetheart' is not a favourite of mine although I used to watch it avidly. I think it went on too long.

Just downloaded the remake of Are You Being Served.
Hope to watch it tonight.

Will try to get Goodnight Sweetheart later tonight.

Yes I agree - a prequel offers the writer the chance to work with completely new material and to develop the character into the older version we all know. An example would be Endeavour who became Morse in later life. Interesting for fans to see how the character evolves.

Exactly. Whilst re-showing an old episode as a tribute to something is absolutely fine, there's something very special about a brand new episode which carries the story on.

After 40 years, countless repeats, VHS purchases followed by DVD box-sets, many will know these old classic shows so well. Even documentaries have been made on most old shows, so there is very little new to offer on these shows.

So why not try a few one-off shows for those fans who want more?

For each situation there is I would suggest, a finite number of storylines. In SW over 295 episodes there was a certain amount of repeating of plots. Inevitable.

So once a show has been done, that is it. Stories exhausted. Possibly even over-worked. I think the later Dad's Army, It ain't 'alf hot mum and Hi-de-Hi to name but three, as not as good as the earlier ones. Some, whisper it please, have almost suggested the same about SW.

You may want more - but there really is no more. Thus these re-stagings are not, in my view really going to contribute anythign to the total understandign of the series. Ones which move the story on such GS or are prequels, YH, are different.

Partly this is due to the fact that the original actors are so well known in the role, that any one else does not feel right.

I agree these re-makes or whatever you prefer to call them do nothing to improve a recognised classic.

Something to put on the next DVD as an extra though.

Usually I hate re-makes, but, and I may be the only one, I have been quite impressed by some of the attempts made.

I agree these re-makes or whatever you prefer to call them do nothing to improve a recognised classic.

Something to put on the next DVD as an extra though.

Usually I hate re-makes, but, and I may be the only one, I have been quite impressed by some of the attempts made.

The approach in Porridge, YH and GS was to move on (or back) in time so acceptale in my view. Just re-doing an existing episode seems less useful.

I liked the concept of the AYBS episode though. It was written by a true fan, who wanted to create his own episode. He couldn't get the original actors, they are dead, but otherwise got everything the same. The set and costumes were spot on. The script wasn't a million miles off the mark either - let's face it, some of the original AYBS scripts weren't always the masterpieces we'd have liked them to be.

The actors have the impossible task to recreate the characters. But it doesn't matter if they're not spot on. How can they be? Bearing in mind this is not supposed to be an actual episode of AYBS, just an affectionate nod to the original, this is no different to say a stage production based on an original piece of work. This is almost like discovering a lost episode in some ways. Well perhaps not - but perhaps gives an idea what could have happened after the last show.

And Till Death - well the episode is missing. Gone forever, unless it does turn up by some miracle, as some of the episodes have. At least this way Johnny Speight's writing, and the gaps in Alf Garnett's story, can be viewed in some form.

For those disappointed by this Sitcom Season - you didn't actually think something new was going to be outstandingly brilliant, did you?!

Back