Most annoying modern day gadgets. Tv show. anything really

amos hames

Dedicated Member
Is there something in modern life that really annoys you. It could be a gadget. Person. Institution. Newspaper. Politician . Anything that really makes your blood boil. Your thoughts and comments please.

Hello Amos hope you are feeling a lot better can I please make a suggestion that we perhaps limit this in a similar vein to Desert Island discs where they nominate individual items in individual categories or this thread will grow to an unmanageable volume of replies. Perhaps most annoying gadget, person[which could encompass Politician if they are your greatest annoyance] and institution would be appropriate ?

New Technology

Most new tech devices can be very annoying,promising the earth in the adverts but often don't deliver,they are full of software bugs,most manufactures won't admit there are problems hoping with endless updates it may get fixed, if the product fails to get fixed in a short time then low and behold there is a new model out, which is the one you should of waited for in the first place

Hello Amos hope you are feeling a lot better can I please make a suggestion that we perhaps limit this in a similar vein to Desert Island discs where they nominate individual items in individual categories or this thread will grow to an unmanageable volume of replies. Perhaps most annoying gadget, person[which could encompass Politician if they are your greatest annoyance] and institution would be appropriate ?

Sorry Captain but trust me you don't want to go naming politicians, you want to see thread go South quick? Start talking politics :me:

Hello Pearl,

I did not really have a politician I was going to mention in derogatory terms who annoyed me or mention politics to provoke the reaction you state . If I had to mention anyone it would be John Dougrez-Lewis who having seen a Monty Python sketch changed his name to Tarquin Fin-tim-lin-bin-whin-bim-lim-bus-stop-F'tang-F'tang-Olé-Biscuitbarrel [had to copy and paste] and stood in the Election with the sole purpose of getting the Returning Officer to have to read his name out and declare that he probably had less than ten votes . Secretly he did really hope the fringe vote would go his way and somehow he actually won the seat . Imagine the Speaker having to read that out if he had tabled a question.

Most annoying person or gadget

Hi All

Well where do I start. If it is a person it has to be Jeremy Clarkson in number one spot.

Gadgets right now trying to get spotify (A music App) to work in conjunction with my laptop, and failing miserably.

Politician, may avoid this one to stay away from the subject. However initials are DC.

TV programmes. Soaps and reality TV. Don't understand why shows like are much beloved LOSTW got canned and they will throw thousands at programmes that give platform to mindless idiots who could not get by in life any other way

Here is more:

Office staff that email each other even though they are sat opposite the receiver or are just down the corridor, whatever happened to the human voice.

Missing shops: A good quality high street butcher and a bakers

That a start but may be back with more later.

Last edited:
Hi All

Well where do I start. If it is a person it has to be Jeremy Clarkson in number one spot.

Gadgets right now trying to get spotify (A music App) to work in conjunction with my laptop, and failing miserably.

Politician, may avoid this one to stay away from the subject. However initials are DC.

TV programmes. Soaps and reality TV. Don't understand why shows like are much beloved LOSTW got canned and they will throw thousands at programmes that give platform to mindless idiots who could not get by in life any other way

That a start but may be back with more later.
This is more like the stuff I am looking for. Been a bit of a slow burner this thread

Stores in shopping malls that are suddenly GONE. My favorite store, "As Seen on TV" up and left. I really enjoyed that store as I still enjoy shopping in bricks and mortars (real stores) vs. online.

1. Politicians. ALL Politicians. As a wise man once said, "anyone who has a desire to be a politician should be forever banned from becoming one!"

2. "Reality" shows, particularly cooking shows. Occasionally a new one will turn up which isn't too bad for the FIRST episode and then has nothing to continue with...but continue anyway, closely followed by a multitude of clones!

3. Adverts! HATE HATE HATE!!! (I know they are necessary to pay for programs etc...still HATE them!! :mad:)

4. Rap "music" (who removed the "C" from the start of the word?)

5. Office "speak". i.e. using 27 words that make no sense to replace 1 that adequately describes what is meant. As a corollary to that is the current method of showing that you should be promoted in any job by changing the name of everything to " better reflect the current organisational structure and adhere to the corporate vision in accordance with world's best practice and forward the Corporate Plan" (substitute your own gobbledygook) :02:

6. People who rant and rave about everything.....................................OOPS:me:

1. Politicians. ALL Politicians. As a wise man once said, "anyone who has a desire to be a politician should be forever banned from becoming one!"

Sorry to be a bit controversial, but when folk come out with statements like this I am just prompted to ask them to propose an alternative. I am much minded to quote another wise man (though admittedly not always so), Churchill:

"“Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.”

In contrast, my b
êtes noires are those who, without having any ideas of their own, who are never ready to propose anything positive, constantly carp against and criticise those who try to do something, who try to change the world for the better. The BBC has a host of news reporters and editors who come into this category. Couple that with many, many 'commentators' who try to pull the wool over our eyes by trying to con us into thinking their opinions are facts. Again, a common characteristic to be found on the BBC.

In contrast, where I hate to see politics is where it just does not belong, for instance, in church.

Big Unc

I think my "wise" man in this case was Billy Connolly! :21: This should indicate the "seriousness" of my comments :dance:

Without trying to be controversial or argumentative, just because I cannot come up with a better system. (Or can I ????:38: ) doesn't mean the current one doesn't irk me.

That is another annoying thing that gets my goat..Catch 22's!

A long time bête noire for me, excessively nit-picking on-line payment routines, and I wouldn't mind but it just happened to me again in conjunction with this website.

Went to make an on-line payment and filled in all the details including all the card numbers etc. Some requirements auto-filled including, in particular, my home telephone number. Pressed 'Proceed' icon only to be hit with dreaded red instruction to ensure I had entered valid telephone number. What had been auto-filled was the international version (starting +44 or whatever) which as far as I and many others are concerned is perfectly valid. I can live with that but what really annoys me is that all the credit card detail which I had punctiliously entered previously had been deleted. Just don't know why they do that!

Other reasons I recall why what has been entered is not considered acceptable:
Correctly entering a space between area
dialling code and the local number.
Correctly putting a space in the postal code.
Failure to have a line to enter in one's address between the street and the town.
Failure to enter a county name when it does not in fact constitute a valid part of one's postal address as defined by Royal Mail.

In some instances I have been absolutely bamboozled by exactly what the quirky system considers invalid.

Forgot to say that whilst compiling my last rant I was reminded of the time I complained to a credit card company/bank that the authorised signature strip was far too narrow only to be told by them that they did not manufacture the credit cards.

A long time bête noire for me, excessively nit-picking on-line payment routines, and I wouldn't mind but it just happened to me again in conjunction with this website.

Went to make an on-line payment and filled in all the details including all the card numbers etc. Some requirements auto-filled including, in particular, my home telephone number. Pressed 'Proceed' icon only to be hit with dreaded red instruction to ensure I had entered valid telephone number. What had been auto-filled was the international version (starting +44 or whatever) which as far as I and many others are concerned is perfectly valid. I can live with that but what really annoys me is that all the credit card detail which I had punctiliously entered previously had been deleted. Just don't know why they do that!

Failure to have a line to enter in one's address between the street and the town.
Failure to enter a county name when it does not in fact constitute a valid part of one's postal address as defined by Royal Mail.

In some instances I have been absolutely bamboozled by exactly what the quirky system considers invalid.

You are right Unc, it seems no two web forms are the same plus some of these companies use a cheap postcode search software, which can often leave out the crucial street name and there is no way of correcting this, or the ones that ask for details including adding a password twice, you miss something and have to correct it along with putting the chosen password back in,twice

Yes, yes a real annoyance.

the other day I was asked for a password of eight or more characters including numbers, so I duly complied with 8 characters - alpha, alpha, alpha,alpha, number, colon, number, number - eight characters. Rejected it! This password form is a favourite of mine because I can make it mean something for me but there are many variations in the alpha string from four to about six - it being a form of reference that is easy to recall and I think quite difficult to crack.

County names are superfluous, in fact all we need are house number and post code - it is all the Royal Maill use.

Grrrrrr!!:02::02::02::02::02:

Another annoyance is sites which limit the number of emoticons you can use in a single post!!

:unhappy::unhappy::unhappy::unhappy::unhappy::unhappy::unhappy::unhappy::unhappy::unhappy::unhappy::unhappy::unhappy:
Thus Tony?

All technology.

Computers that don't do what they are supposed to.

Trying to watch a programme or YouTube video that keeps cutting out.

And the sound is still really quiet even when you turn the volume fully up.

Mobile phones that don't have enough signal to work.

Trying to type in a figure (1, 2 etc) for options on a recorded telephone call, and the mobile phone (that you've borrowed) doesn't seem to have any numbers anywhere noticeable to press. Still working that out - that was today's frantic moment.

The way all this digital tv and digital radio STILL conks out, goes off and on, gets interference. It was better before.

Someone phoning when you're writing a text message.

CDs not working if a slight fingerprint is on it - these things were originally supposed to work even if someone spreaded jam on them.

Trying to read everchanging subtitles on a news programme.

Batteries in phones that go dead very quickly and with little warning.

The way on local radio stations they spend ages talking absolute twaddle, then when the weather or traffic reports come on they go through it all REALLY QUICKLY as though they don't want to do it at all, possibly because they want to get back to their own self-indulgent twaddle.

Back