May 2014 Ask Beth

I tried to take out "pet peeve" #6 but can't get to it to delete it. I think #6 is a given. Anyway I I thought of two more. Sledding on the first snowfall and love Christmas with eggnog.

That is correct Big Unc! Did not know it was called Lawn Darts for Drunks, but the first time I seen it played, a bunch of drunks were playing it!:32:

Is the game predominantly mid-western? I'm a born and bred upstate New Yorker, and I had never heard of it.

Marianna

Hi Darren!

I don't think the show would be the same without Cleggy. He had the best one liners. I loved the way he would speak on something that didn't relate to the conversation at all. Then honestly, he is a great actor. No one could have carried his lines like Peter did. He has great facial expressions which could make the situation even more hilarious. He just made the show what it was.

I really have three favorites.

Wesley is one of my favorites characters for what I said before. It is that belief in himself that no one else has. He just loves motors and it doesn't matter what others think. Wesley makes me laugh just as much as Billy did. Billy was a great third person I thought. He made me laugh more than the other two.

I didn't answer that well. I just can't pick one Darren. :)

Hello Beth,
Like you I love Cleggy and agree with everything you say about Peter.
What is your favourite Cleggy one Liner ??

My favorite is from The Mysterious Feet of Nora Batty episode. He says to the men "I would hate to be desirable; I really would."

It just sums up Cleggy's fear of women in such a funny way.

Last edited:
I was wondering Beth if you could have a meal with anyone of the supporting cast (if I was to say all the cast I know you would say Peter Sallis) who would you choose and why?

Beth, I know you're a long way from Yorkshire but would you like to someday get the opportunity to visit Holmfirth?

Last edited:
Did you grow up with "strong " parents Beth ?? Were you like me and had a mother that did not take any prisoners?? :46: :46: My mother was a match for any man we ever met both mentally and physically!:46:

Do you enjoy cross words and Sudoku Beth??I try them just to keep my mind ticking over. ::) :12:

Pearl if I was to be an animal who would I be? You are too funny. I think I would be Leo the Lion. I want to be on top of the food chain. ;)

Beth, I know you're a long way from Yorkshire but would you like to someday get the opportunity to visit Holmfirth?

I would love it! I wouldn't necessarily need to visit each place that was in the show....well maybe the Ivy's café and as I had mentioned before the White Horse. I would actually want to visit the countryside there. It is absolutely beautiful. What actually strikes me is that there in the countryside there are no billboards/advertisements anywhere. Our country has billboards/signs (even people walking with signs) everywhere. It is comforting to see nature at it's best. I love also the use of stone/rock to build fences and walls; I love that.

The only other places I have have seen no advertisements was Canada in the 1980's and the Big Island of Hawaii. In otherwords, it is a wonderful how Holmfirth has maintained it's beauty. :)

Last edited:
Do fierce Indiana women exist:15:, the equivalent of the fearsome ladies portrayed in Summer wine? :16:

Yes, they do, but they are not me. ;)

Actually, my great aunts on my mom's side were always complaining and yelling at their husbands, and yes the men looked like wiped pups. They were in charge of their men and had their houses spic and span. In fact, my great aunt Loretta when visiting would go into my closet and check the distant between each hanger and checked to see if each outfit was facing the same way. (I always failed my inspections because she never called ahead on her visits ;D Her husband, my great Uncle Millard was the cook in the family and entertained us kids. Aunt Loretta job was supervising. ;)

My grandmother, unbelievably, was not like them. She was very passive and nieve. She was more like a Glenda and loved her marriage. Makes no sense does it. :)

Last edited:
Did you grow up with "strong " parents Beth ?? Were you like me and had a mother that did not take any prisoners?? :46: :46: My mother was a match for any man we ever met both mentally and physically!:46:

No, my mom is much like her mom. She was very passive. She believed the man ruled the house and she stayed at home and took care of us. My dad was a very strong proud man. When he came home from work, he would then go out and work in our garden. If dad saw Glenn, Wanda or I just sitting, he would go into his military phase and we jumped, saluted and obeyed. ;)

Yes, Pearl, I would only need you to straighten me out. :)

Back