Important Message re Server Change

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
As I mentioned before on the 1st of July 2014 we will be switching to new faster servers,this will happen between 9 and 10 am BST,now during this time you will hit the website & Forum but at some point during the change you may start hitting the forum but on the wrong dns servers as they can take a while to propagate throughout the world.So it is important that you make no forum postings after 6am BST on the 1st until we make a posting to inform you all is Okay,after 6am Tony will be moving all the latest forum data to the new servers,this can take some time,so any post you make after that until we advise you different we be lost,then around 9am we will change the dns server names,then we have to test that when you hit the site from anywhere in the world it is landing on the new server,in the meantime Tony is busy in the engine room making sure everything is ready to go

Terry

OK I think I understood most of that but in blonde language, stay off the forum between 6am and 9am BMT on Tuesday? Or you may be electrocuted?

It gets hot in engine rooms you may want to make sure Tony stays hydrated :16:

Thank you both :D

Last edited:
OK I think I understood most of that but in blonde language, stay off the forum between 6am and 9am BMT on Tuesday? Or you may be electrocuted?

It gets hot in engine rooms you may want to make sure Tont stays hydrated :16:

Mostly yes but stay off until we advise you that you can post/chat again and yes you could be seriously killed

It gets hot in engine rooms you may want to make sure Tont stays hydrated :16:

Thanks for the clarification, Pearl, I've nearly electrocuted myself exactly 6 times in my entire life and it doesn't feel good. LOL What I need to know is what time would that be in Eastern time?

Thanks for the clarification, Pearl, I've nearly electrocuted myself exactly 6 times in my entire life and it doesn't feel good. LOL What I need to know is what time would that be in Eastern time?

Subtract 5 hours to calculate Eastern Daylight Time when you're given BST (British Summer Time). Except for the brief period around the spring and fall time changes, you can rely on that 5-hour difference. I always have to do an internet search for the dates of the British time changes, though, because I never can keep track of them.

Marianna

Subtract 5 hours to calculate Eastern Daylight Time when you're given BST (British Summer Time). Except for the brief period around the spring and fall time changes, you can rely on that 5-hour difference. I always have to do an internet search for the dates of the British time changes, though, because I never can keep track of them.

Marianna

Oh ok. Well, if my math is correct (And there's a good chance it's way off), I won't be online around that time anyway. LOL I'll still be in Florida, so I'll probably either be going for a midnight swim in the pool or fighting with my mom in the hotel room. Either way, I won't be using my laptop. LOL :35:

More info

As it can take several hours for the new dns servers to propagate worldwide,Tony is going to put a notice at the top of the new site forum page,if on Tuesday you can see this message then it is safe to post,if you cannot see this message then any postings/chats will be lost,you should start to see this from 9am BST

As I mentioned before do not make any postings after 6am BST on Tuesday

Thanks

Terry

'6am and 9am BMT on Tuesday'. That 'BMT' throws me totally. Make that read '06:00 to 09:00 BST on Tuesday, 01/07/2014. Or for those in USA Eastern Time Zone, 11:00 to 14:00 EDT on Tuesday, 07/01/2014.

'6am and 9am BMT on Tuesday'. That 'BMT' throws me totally. Make that read '06:00 to 09:00 BST on Tuesday, 01/07/2014. Or for those in USA Eastern Time Zone, 11:00 to 14:00 EDT on Tuesday, 07/01/2014.

I could have been distracted by a bacon sandwich when I typed that :hungry:

Thanks for all of the attention to these small details that keep the website going! Very grateful.

Mostly yes but stay off until we advise you that you can post/chat again and yes you could be seriously killed

SERIOUSLY killed ~~~~ ? You don't hafta make such a fuss, I'll take moderately killed. Hurts less.

Well the site changed to the new servers okay,but it looks like it will take around 24 hours since the change before the new dns propagates fully,which would explain why sometimes you hit the old site and sometimes the new,fingers crossed this will all be resolved by 9am tomorrow

Those of you that did manage to reach here okay should of noticed how quick the site is now which was the object of the exercise

Sorry it took longer than we expected,but something out of our control

Terry

I am totally lost. 'Not a lot new there, then,' I hear from the perennial detractors. I am here on Summerwine.net. 'Sadly, we do realise that,' comes from those same detractors. But I see no red message. Maybe just as well since, as a staunch anti-communist I ignore red messages. So, does this mean I am on the old site? It is now 08:55 BST. Am I, like the Prophet Bickersdyke waiting for the world to end in five minutes? And it's a Wednesday!

How can I reach the new site before that happens?

:41::41::41::41:

But I see no red message. Maybe just as well since, as a staunch anti-communist I ignore red messages. So, does this mean I am on the old site?
I'm afraid you can blame me again. You ARE on the new site, but I had failed to put the red message at the top of all the themes. The two themes I didn't install the message to I thought weren't in use.

I can see why there will be no one using 'Stylish Pink' (which isn't). But I am quite content to be unique in using 'Raven' which borders on 'Raving', which I can do.

:02::02::02::02::02::02:

Back