Holmfirth Jan 2014

Hello, they're old mill stones used to mark the boundary of the Peak District National Park. The one in the photo is situated at the end of a long descent from Holme Moss entering Holme. As well as being chosen as the emblem for the Peak District and used in this way they can be found in situ dotted around the landscape. They say that their are more than 1500 of them located across the Peak district. We live about 7 miles from the Peak District and spend most weekends wandering about and visiting the villages, especially in the Summer staying in our campervan :)
This map shows the boundary

Thanks for the great pictures. Many wonderful scenes recorded there.

I was curious after looking at the first picture....is that a store-front or shop (on the right) as you walk down the road past the steps leading to Compo's and Nora's? Where does that road go or end? I don't recall the trio ever using the road for anything in a series.

Hello, no you can't get anywhere down that road. The shop on the right is the Summer Wine Exhibition and a fair trade shop just before it. You can walk up the steps past Noras towards where Wallys pidgeon loft was and go through a gate and come out on the main road. I did this last year after wondering what was up there but felt a bit of a nosey sod as i'm sure it's not a proper walk through :-[

Hello, no you can't get anywhere down that road. The shop on the right is the Summer Wine Exhibition and a fair trade shop just before it. You can walk up the steps past Noras towards where Wallys pidgeon loft was and go through a gate and come out on the main road. I did this last year after wondering what was up there but felt a bit of a nosey sod as i'm sure it's not a proper walk through :-[
lol Did you get any funny looks as you walked through? :me:

I would have been nosey and do the same!!! ;D. When I make the trip someday I hope to do that very thing. Just being a fan! Thanks for the history lesson on the millstones. Beautiful view. Thanks again from US fan.

lol Did you get any funny looks as you walked through? :me:
Well i felt a bit awkward because i didn't want to look like i was up to something dodgy ;D
I once went mooching around the paths at the back of the church and then before i knew it i was stood in a dead end with nowhere to go and a bemused local peering out from their front room window :)
It helps that i always have my Jack Russells with me so i can blame them ;D

I just had to take the last photo of the fish and chip shop as i drive past it every time i go into Holmfirth, it seems to have been for sale since the trio first wandered through the hills :)

Thanks for the wonderful pictures.
It´s about 40 years since I was in Holmfirth so I´ve forgotten what it really looked like.
I have often thought some of the Summer Wine series must have been shot on location, ie. away from Holmfirth but now I´m not so sure.
Anyway wonderful pictures.

Thanks for the wonderful pictures.
It´s about 40 years since I was in Holmfirth so I´ve forgotten what it really looked like.
I have often thought some of the Summer Wine series must have been shot on location, ie. away from Holmfirth but now I´m not so sure.
Anyway wonderful pictures.

Jeremy, a lot of the episode were filmed outside Holmfirth,in the surrounding villages,I would guess that nearby Marsden was used the most on the series along with Jackson Bridge

Thanks so very much for the great pictures. Ever so kind. What would we do without people like you who keep our memories of a great show fresh in our minds. Thanks aagin

Well i felt a bit awkward because i didn't want to look like i was up to something dodgy ;D
I once went mooching around the paths at the back of the church and then before i knew it i was stood in a dead end with nowhere to go and a bemused local peering out from their front room window :)
It helps that i always have my Jack Russells with me so i can blame them ;D
But they make it seem as if you can get somewhere down that road in the show. Am I right? Didn't they walk that way with Smiler's 50 pounds?

Is the Methodist church where the library was? Can you tell we love these pictures? lol

Back