Has the weather got worse............?

dick

LOTSW Fanatic
A fun question , has the weather got worse since they started naming the storms? From Abigail onwards we seem to have had more rain and winds. :wink: :me:

A fun question , has the weather got worse since they started naming the storms? From Abigail onwards we seem to have had more rain and winds. :wink: :me:

Lovely day so far today Dick,watch out for Storm Pearl though

I went shopping in just a t shirt this morning but its getting dark early again now. We seem to have a had a lot of rain this November and our cousins across the pond seem to be sending more of their tail ends of this and that to us, I think it's because they like us!!! I'm not sure that it's getting colder but that could just be me. ( Says her looking at him in doors wearing a thick jumper, a hat and two blankets)

I wouldn't worry so much about hurricane Pearl, she's blow and bluster but I'd be wary of tornadoe Zena, I hear she's going to be a force to be reckoned with if a certain person starts on her again.

Holmefirth is under rain again at the moment. I rest my case!:wink:

My windows were cleaned this morning, I now cant see through them properly. Its raining on them! :20:

Last edited:
I went shopping in just a t shirt this morning but its getting dark early again now. We seem to have a had a lot of rain this November and our cousins across the pond seem to be sending more of their tail ends of this and that to us, I think it's because they like us!!! I'm not sure that it's getting colder but that could just be me. ( Says her looking at him in doors wearing a thick jumper, a hat and two blankets)

I wouldn't worry so much about hurricane Pearl, she's blow and bluster but I'd be wary of tornadoe Zena, I hear she's going to be a force to be reckoned with if a certain person starts on her again.

My imagination is running wild thinking of Pearl in just a T shirt :39:

Last edited:
Holmefirth is under rain again at the moment. I rest my case!:wink:

My windows were cleaned this morning, I now cant see through them properly. Its raining on them! :20:

We've had no rain at this end! :tux::tux:

The weather just seems to get worse. It seems to be blowing gales all the time. As for naming storms how about storm Compo now that would be funny or tropical storm Cleggy.

Over here across the Pond, the weather is very GOOD for November. It's running in the 50's (F) or 10C, not bad for November. Yesterday it was rainy and foggy and the top of the Washington Monument was lost in fog. Today the weatherman is smiling as the sun is supposed to be out for the next couple of days.

Has the weather got worse...............?

I have just travelled back across the moors at Otterburn in Northumberland and it was unbelievably bleak at two thirty in the afternoon , they missed a trick naming the latest storm about to hit Clodagh , should of called it Cameron at least it would be full of hot air. :22:

This is the absolute good news about cold weather. Over here across the Pond, cold weather kills the mosquitos and ticks that carry Lyme Disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted fever. Now they may not have Lyme Disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted fever over there, but there are probably similar bad diseases carried by insects that are killed when there is snow and icy conditions. Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and Lyme Disease are two diseases that are really terrible in that they are hard to diagnose and require years of treatment including massive doses of antibiotics which may or may not effect a cure.

Has the weather got worse...............?

I sincerely hope none of the members are impacted too severely after the storms yesterday , it is sole destroying to see the devastation caused . I feel so sorry for the people in areas impacted . It is particularly bad in Cumbria , the picturesque Appleby and Keswick were shown on the news this morning both were under 4 ft of water and people have been displaced from their homes seeking sanctuary at local hotels and centres that were not impacted . I cannot possibly imagine the angst they are feeling at the moment not knowing what has happened to their homes and possessions and then when they get home to face the reality of what has happened I don't know they cope.My heartfelt sympathy and best wishes go out to all of those affected.

Being in the Midlands we don't have any adverse weather like that, being in the middle we're well shielded by those on the coastline so we're very lucky. I saw the news myself and really hope they manage to get back to normal as soon as possible, it must be awful.

Captain, I know your area quite well so I know you can get a battering too.

Last edited:
Being in the Midlands we don't any adverse weather like that, being in the middle we're well shielded by those on the coastline so we're very lucky. I saw the news myself and really hope they manage to get back to normal as soon as possible, it must be awful.

Captain, I know your area quite well so I know you can get a battering too.

We do and did yesterday but whilst the wind was gusting at plus 70 mph we did not get the heavy rain in the Newcastle area itself. Go 18 miles west to Corbridge and all of the other towns on the Tyne and its a totally different picture, because of the rain draining down from the hills , the Tyne water levels rose substantially and areas did suffer flooding . I was only in the Dyvels pub in Corbridge a couple of weeks ago, with the old chap I meet up to ensure he gets out , and this is the picture of it yesterday, the car illustrates the water levels . It is such a distressing picture, abject misery caused to businesses and residential properties alike . You can only hope that people can conquer such adversity however dejected they feel at the moment.
corbridge.jpg

Extreme weather events like the current high winds and rains sufficiently heavy to cause flooding, as well as the California drought, really have gotten more extreme, symptomatic of climate change. And there are more storms severe-enough to rate being named. It's frightening.

We do and did yesterday but whilst the wind was gusting at plus 70 mph we did not get the heavy rain in the Newcastle area itself. Go 18 miles west to Corbridge and all of the other towns on the Tyne and its a totally different picture, because of the rain draining down from the hills , the Tyne water levels rose substantially and areas did suffer flooding . I was only in the Dyvels pub in Corbridge a couple of weeks ago, with the old chap I meet up to ensure he gets out , and this is the picture of it yesterday, the car illustrates the water levels . It is such a distressing picture, abject misery caused to businesses and residential properties alike . You can only hope that people can conquer such adversity however dejected they feel at the moment.
View attachment 875

I have a lot of family in the Sunderland area so I know you've had it bad up there. It's very distressing to see pictures like that, we've very lucky here, lets hope it doesn't last much longer.

We've just spent a long weekend in our campervan in Windermere. This was the view of the pierhead on Sunday, a couple of hundred yards from our site. We had planned to travel around but all the roads in/out of the town were shut by floods.

Back