Going out to eat

My family goes out to eat usually once or twice a week. My brother's family eats out more as they are a busy suburban family with a very busy schedule. I am a HUGE coffee drinker and visit a coffee shop probably 5 times a week.

Just been out to lunch at one of our favourite places comfortable,good décor I had sausage and mash,the boss had meatballs all well cooked.The menu if anything has to much on it but if you look for the specials it does not cost to much they have a pie menu as well.Are the places to eat across the pond selling local style dishes or do they mostly stick to national type food?

Their Toad in the hole is pretty good (Yorkshire pudding, filet mignon, with a burgundy wine sauce).

I think because they are part of a steakhouse chain is the reason they go with the filet mignon. Or maybe it's an Irish thing?
8430243151_8436c72f56_n.jpg

I did not realise you were referring to a Los Angeles establishment. Not sure what we would call that dish - a filet mignon casserole in a Yorkshire Pudding maybe. But not Toad in the Hole. I remember fascinating friends in Punxsutawney, PA when we started talking about Toad in the Hole. They had never heard of it.

Intrigued where you get the Irish connection. The name Lawry does have Northern Ireland connotations:
'This famous "border" surname is equally prominent in both England and Scotland, and also in the Irish province of Ulster.'

Though I think the spelling "Laurie" is more prevalent in Scotland. But one point I would make. Tam O'Shanter is categorically Scottish from the great poem of the same name by the Bard, Robert Burns.

Their Toad in the hole is pretty good (Yorkshire pudding, filet mignon, with a burgundy wine sauce).

I think because they are part of a steakhouse chain is the reason they go with the filet mignon. Or maybe it's an Irish thing?

I did not realise you were referring to a Los Angeles establishment. Not sure what we would call that dish - a filet mignon casserole in a Yorkshire Pudding maybe. But not Toad in the Hole. I remember fascinating friends in Punxsutawney, PA when we started talking about Toad in the Hole. They had never heard of it.

Intrigued where you get the Irish connection. The name Lawry does have Northern Ireland connotations:
'This famous "border" surname is equally prominent in both England and Scotland, and also in the Irish province of Ulster.'

Though I think the spelling "Laurie" is more prevalent in Scotland. But one point I would make. Tam O'Shanter is categorically Scottish from the great poem of the same name by the Bard, Robert Burns.

Yes, you're right. With the tartans and clan crests up on the wall, the place definitely has a Scottish vibe.

Yes, you're right. With the tartans and clan crests up on the wall, the place definitely has a Scottish vibe.

Note that there are Irish clans and tartans.

And always remember, the Irish invented the bagpipes as a joke and gave them to the Scots who just havenae seen the joke yet.

Being from the states, I've never had steak and kidney pie. It is popular over there? I read about it, not sure how the kidney part would taste.

We could send you a food parcel but it would have to be tinned which is not the same but you'd get the idea of it. :D
[/quo
I would love to try it, however I don't want to trouble you with a parcel. Sounds pretty good though. :D

Unc you are a brave man to say that about bagpipes,you should have gone to the Piping World Champs in Glasgow and suggested that theory.Have you ever tried the Irish variety?

Unc you are a brave man to say that about bagpipes,you should have gone to the Piping World Champs in Glasgow and suggested that theory.Have you ever tried the Irish variety?

We direct descendants of Robin Hood, we thrive on danger.

Back