Going out to eat

Being from the states, I've never had steak and kidney pie. It is popular over there? I read about it, not sure how the kidney part would taste.

tastes wonderful....mainly beefy with a hint of kidney.....puff pastry and beef gravy...mmmm.. sorted dinner for tomorrow thank you !!

Steak and kidney pie that makes feel hungry even though I have eaten a cottage pie prepared by my lovely wife she tries out recipes found in all sorts of publications.Myself the cat and the dog all enjoy the results of her labours we are all putting on weight but who cares!

Being from the states, I've never had steak and kidney pie. It is popular over there? I read about it, not sure how the kidney part would taste.

We could send you a food parcel but it would have to be tinned which is not the same but you'd get the idea of it. :D

steak and kidney pie is wonderful.....but a well made steak and kidney pudding is even better....there's a small local café on the high street in altringcham going into Manchester called "the dom" and they specialize in steak and kidney pudding....instead of flakey pastry they seal the filling with an amazing suet pastry, soft and tasty and yummy.... :)

steak and kidney pie is wonderful.....but a well made steak and kidney pudding is even better....there's a small local café on the high street in altringcham going into Manchester called "the dom" and they specialize in steak and kidney pudding....instead of flakey pastry they seal the filling with an amazing suet pastry, soft and tasty and yummy.... :)

such temptation - totally outside my dietary code I regret (no red meat, no fats, no cakes, etc - sounds about like Sam being discharged from hospital) but I am drooling just at the thought.

That and a spotted dick were always may favourites!

Barnpot, I know I shouldn't ask this, but what in the world is a "spotted dick"? I know I am going to regret this post.. :-X

There's a pub restaurant near me in Atwater Village called Tam O'Shanter (It's part of Lawry's steakhouse chain). Their Toad in the hole is pretty good (Yorkshire pudding, filet mignon, with a burgundy wine sauce).

They also have Shepard pie (lamb and cream spinach) but it's seasonal.
The prime rib with Yorkshire pudding is their biggest seller though. They'll throw in a lobster tail or two if you really want to go all out

The sticky toffee pudding is excellent also.

Barnpot, I know I shouldn't ask this, but what in the world is a "spotted dick"? I know I am going to regret this post.. :-X
Its NOT me with measles Beth!! :eek: ;D ;D Its a sort of suet? pudding that has raisins and/or currants in it hence the spots ;). One of the more cookery familiar members may be able to give you the recipe and the proper name for it. ???

Its NOT me with measles Beth!! :eek: ;D ;D Its a sort of suet? pudding that has raisins and/or currants in it hence the spots ;). One of the more cookery familiar members may be able to give you the recipe and the proper name for it. ???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotted_dick

SpottedDick_zps871379a8.jpg

Easiest recipe I can find:
http://www.circlecity.co.uk/kitchen/recipes/spotted_dick.php

Their Toad in the hole is pretty good (Yorkshire pudding, filet mignon, with a burgundy wine sauce).

Their Toad in the Hole is certainly pretty good but that is not what I would call Toad in the Hole which is, for the uninitiated, made with sausages.

Toad-in-the-hole_zpsf5e86e4a.jpg

Alll these pictures of my favourite foods its making me even more hungry for my lamb chops this evening.My mum used to make a bacon and onion suet pudding and it was fantastic,a jam one was good as well.All these foods used to fill you up and no worries about calories. Last week I eat an M&S toad in the hole and it was pretty good. I have some localy made pork sauges to cook and maybe I will make a toad int hole the sauges have real pork in and not much rusk.Keep on showing the food pics please.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotted_dick

SpottedDick_zps871379a8.jpg

Easiest recipe I can find:
http://www.circlecity.co.uk/kitchen/recipes/spotted_dick.php
LOL. I did think of you with spotsl but knew that couldn't be it. Ha ha. I actually thought it was a typo! ;) ;D

Their Toad in the hole is pretty good (Yorkshire pudding, filet mignon, with a burgundy wine sauce).

Their Toad in the Hole is certainly pretty good but that is not what I would call Toad in the Hole which is, for the uninitiated, made with sausages.

Toad-in-the-hole_zpsf5e86e4a.jpg

I think because they are part of a steakhouse chain is the reason they go with the filet mignon. Or maybe it's an Irish thing?
8430243151_8436c72f56_n.jpg

Back