British English V American English.

I have to point out in my innocence in my early reading habits, I was thinking that "paved road" in the detective novels I used to steal from my elder brothers piles were meaning roads made of paving slabs .Not tarmac as was later used. ??? I soon realised how wrong I was when my reading became more varied.

Here in the States, tarmac refers to airport runways.

Here in the States, tarmac refers to airport runways.

1.Trademark. a brand of bituminous binder, similar to tarmacadam, for surfacing roads, airport runways, parking areas, etc.
noun 2.(lowercase) a road, airport runway, parking area, etc., paved with Tarmac, tarmacadam, or a layer of tar.

3.(lowercase) a layer or covering of Tarmac, tarmacadam, or tar.

Not sure about this one. Looking at a US generated video with subtitles today and came across:

'And the sun shined brightly'. Was this an error in syntax because we would have said 'shone'.

1.Trademark. a brand of bituminous binder, similar to tarmacadam, for surfacing roads, airport runways, parking areas, etc.
noun 2.(lowercase) a road, airport runway, parking area, etc., paved with Tarmac, tarmacadam, or a layer of tar.

3.(lowercase) a layer or covering of Tarmac, tarmacadam, or tar.

While McAdam invented the use of crushed stone for road surfaces, it was a man called Hooley (an engineer for Nottinghamshire County Council !) who discovered by a happy accident that it worked better with a coating of tar. A tar barrel burst on the road one day and a local man with a load of crushed stone slag spread it on the tar . This Mr Hooley noticed ,stayed in position longer than stone on its own, which often gave way into ruts. The scheme was tested on a road in Nottingham (Radcliffe Road ) but Mr Hooley could not get backing for his idea so eventually it was sold to the millionaire owner of what became Tarmac Ltd and the rest as they say is history .:21:

Not sure about this one. Looking at a US generated video with subtitles today and came across:

'And the sun shined brightly'. Was this an error in syntax because we would have said 'shone'.
In what video did you see that? We would also say shone or 'the sun shines brightly.'

It's possible that the subtitles were created by machine. 99 percent of the English is correct but errors sneak in and, for some reason, the subtitles are never proofed by a real person.

British English v American English

When I was working I took a call from a colleague with the most implausible excuse to pull a sick day ever .He phoned to say that he couldn't come into work because he had his driveway tarmac'd and despite him putting up warning signs his cat had wondered onto the driveway and got tarmac on its paws and he had to take it to the vets to get cleaned up . I couldn't start to tell you the stick he got when he came back to work .

In what video did you see that? We would also say shone or 'the sun shines brightly.'

It's possible that the subtitles were created by machine. 99 percent of the English is correct but errors sneak in and, for some reason, the subtitles are never proofed by a real person.

Not, I think, the type of video where subtitles are generated by machine and maybe I was incorrect using the term 'subtitles' anyway. Maybe more a commentary to the images used. See for yourselves:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/zf_0jzPQ8lo?rel=0

Let us see if this is generally concurred. There does seem a potential difference in past participles between the transitive verse 'to shine' and the intransitive verb.

I would say, 'The sun has shone brightly', (intransitive) but 'I have shined our family brasses brightly' (transitive).

I throw this in for Pearl who complained of a headache on another thread.
:22: :38: :22: :38: :22: :38: :22:

Let us see if this is generally concurred. There does seem a potential difference in past participles between the transitive verse 'to shine' and the intransitive verb.

I would say, 'The sun has shone brightly', (intransitive) but 'I have shined our family brasses brightly' (transitive).

I throw this in for Pearl who complained of a headache on another thread.
:22: :38: :22: :38: :22: :38: :22:

In the States, we would use each word exactly as you would. Might use 'shined' for 'shone' if we hadn't been exposed to correct speech from birth. I grew up hearing correct speech from my parents. As I result, some of my otherwise well-educated acquaintances say that I sound stuffy.

Marianna

Not, I think, the type of video where subtitles are generated by machine and maybe I was incorrect using the term 'subtitles' anyway. Maybe more a commentary to the images used. See for yourselves:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/zf_0jzPQ8lo?rel=0

I agree with you. I would have written "And the sun shone brightly." But as Marianna said, people who haven't grown up with correct speech may chose the incorrect form of the word. While correct usage was taught in school, I found most students did not actually change their speaking or their writing.

This is a question because I don't know. I was reading a book by a Canadian author and she referred to the sisters as step-sisters. They had the same father but different mothers. In the US we would refer to them as half-sisters.
We call them step-sisters when they have different biological parents but become family when the father of one marries the mother of the other.
This author made other mistakes so I didn't know if this was a mistake or if we have different meanings for step-sister.

This is a question because I don't know. I was reading a book by a Canadian author and she referred to the sisters as step-sisters. They had the same father but different mothers. In the US we would refer to them as half-sisters.
We call them step-sisters when they have different biological parents but become family when the father of one marries the mother of the other.
This author made other mistakes so I didn't know if this was a mistake or if we have different meanings for step-sister.

i would agree with you. The author got it wrong.

YesPearl in the states yellow means ,very very fast! Lol

While we were on a trip to Long Island, my father decided to stop for a yellow light on the Long Island Expressway. The guy behind us did not stop and yes, he ran into us. But the good news was that we were pulling a tent trailer at the time and it absorbed the impact. Luckily, it was a rental.

While we were on a trip to Long Island, my father decided to stop for a yellow light on the Long Island Expressway. The guy behind us did not stop and yes, he ran into us. But the good news was that we were pulling a tent trailer at the time and it absorbed the impact. Luckily, it was a rental.

On my at one time frequent visits to Long Island I found the LIE to be absolutely wild. Used the Parkways (no heavy commercial vehicles) whenever I could.

On my at one time frequent visits to Long Island I found the LIE to be absolutely wild. Used the Parkways (no heavy commercial vehicles) whenever I could.

As I recall, the only problem with the Parkways is that while there are dedicated gas stations, they're all on the left.

Back