British English V American English.

The UK stop sign - relatively new. It was different when I started driving in 1965.

STOP_zpsup273cvi.jpg

The UK 'Give Way' sign. Again there has been a change in my motoring/cycling lifetime:

GIVE%20WAY_zpsrzojvizg.jpg

This is what they used to look like:

images%202_zpshtd2jwcu.jpg
images%203_zpssagrxuz4.jpg

Others in this line (which might help answer query on the Ireland 'Yield Right of Way' include the sign for 'Give way to oncoming traffic -

YIELD_zpsmugopbkf.png

Some poor darlings struggle with this one so the authorities sometimes help:

YIELD%202_zpsbvuwv4eg.jpg

The equivalent for when you have right of way:

RIGHT%20OF%20WAY%202_zpsm8viu8h5.jpg

One I like. I wonder if there was ever one for ferrets:

images%205_zpsqmfoyta7.jpg

Two adventures from my travels. The road signs for Ireland amused me. Not all that long ago I drove from Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK) to Shannonbridge, Republic of Ireland. At one point on my route the road ran along the border and you kept switching from one jurisdiction to the other. One could get confused with changes in the road signs but what certainly did not help was the fact that speed limits in UK territory are specified in miles per hour whereas in the Republic they are in kilometres per hour.

In the UK the only instance of flashing traffic lights is a flashing amber at pedestrian crossings which tells motorists that the pedestrians still have right of way but one can move off if there are no pedestrians crossing. But we do not have flashing red or flashing amber giving priority to one line of traffic over another. I recall on my second trip to USA encountering a solitary flashing red light and i did not have a clue as to what I should do. On my first trip driving around Cape Canaveral and Cocoa Beach, Florida I hadn't encountered this. On this second trip I was driving from Washington Dulles to Punxsutawny, Pennsylvania and got to the point where Interstate 70 meets US 30 at Breezewood and there was this flashing red traffic light. I needed to turn right on US 30 but was just unsure as to whether I should proceed. Eventually a motorist behind politely suggested I do something so after a last minute check for road cops I did move off.

Relevant point - we have no equivalent to turn right on red in UK. Also you are not supposed to overtake on the inside but thousands do it.

Cannot recall if we have the same traffic light sequence in respect of amber:
Red - STOP
Red and Amber - prepare to move off
Green - go (if road is clear)
Amber alone: prepare to stop.

Zebedee time.

I know I was going wrong somewhere, "Amber prepare to stop" ?? So its not put your foot down then?

Red - STOP

In New York State the red and amber combination doesn't exist. Don't know about other states.

Marianna

I know I was going wrong somewhere, "Amber prepare to stop" ?? So its not put your foot down then?

I feel certain that somewhere I have already said that nothing about you surprises me (whilst making mental note to take extra care driving in the Midlands).

In New York State the red and amber combination doesn't exist. Don't know about other states.

Marianna

I am fairly certain that I saw no variation on this one in all states I visited - the complete Eastern Seaboard, California, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Missouri.

I remember some differences - no right turn on red in New York City, no passing on the inside in Connecticut.

One Connecticut law amused me - only one alcoholic drink allowed at any one time in a bar. That cut out a Scottish favourite, a half and half - a single measure of Scotch and half a pint of beer.

Horse manure.

Balderdash.

Bordering on the nonsensical.

All of the above.

You know sometimes you just don't make yourself clear, you faff about going round the bush and procrastinate about giving cognitive answer we lose sight of what you're trying to say so come on!! Don't be shy...... Spit it out man!!

You know sometimes you just don't make yourself clear, you faff about going round the bush and procrastinate about giving cognitive answer we lose sight of what you're trying to say so come on!! Don't be shy...... Spit it out man!!

Now, come on! My reticence is simply to preserve others' feelings.

Spare the rod spoil the child, don't hide your light behind bushel.

It'll be dark before night fall. :42::42::42:

Another variation is "Don't hide your light under a bushel (basket)."

And going on to another topic...

UK US
Legless Drunk/Inebriated
Clever Smart

Red - STOP

Zebedee time.

The main Uk variation I have found with the above was when I lived and worked in Swindon in Wiltshire. There they seem to sit with cars out of gear, brake on and only think about putting into gear and moving off once the light had turned to green - a gal slow pace of life that!!:29:

The UK stop sign - relatively new. It was different when I started driving in 1965.

STOP_zpsup273cvi.jpg

The UK 'Give Way' sign. Again there has been a change in my motoring/cycling lifetime:

GIVE%20WAY_zpsrzojvizg.jpg

This is what they used to look like:

images%202_zpshtd2jwcu.jpg
images%203_zpssagrxuz4.jpg

Others in this line (which might help answer query on the Ireland 'Yield Right of Way' include the sign for 'Give way to oncoming traffic -

YIELD_zpsmugopbkf.png

Some poor darlings struggle with this one so the authorities sometimes help:

YIELD%202_zpsbvuwv4eg.jpg

The equivalent for when you have right of way:

RIGHT%20OF%20WAY%202_zpsm8viu8h5.jpg

One I like. I wonder if there was ever one for ferrets:

images%205_zpsqmfoyta7.jpg

Two adventures from my travels. The road signs for Ireland amused me. Not all that long ago I drove from Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK) to Shannonbridge, Republic of Ireland. At one point on my route the road ran along the border and you kept switching from one jurisdiction to the other. One could get confused with changes in the road signs but what certainly did not help was the fact that speed limits in UK territory are specified in miles per hour whereas in the Republic they are in kilometres per hour.

In the UK the only instance of flashing traffic lights is a flashing amber at pedestrian crossings which tells motorists that the pedestrians still have right of way but one can move off if there are no pedestrians crossing. But we do not have flashing red or flashing amber giving priority to one line of traffic over another. I recall on my second trip to USA encountering a solitary flashing red light and i did not have a clue as to what I should do. On my first trip driving around Cape Canaveral and Cocoa Beach, Florida I hadn't encountered this. On this second trip I was driving from Washington Dulles to Punxsutawny, Pennsylvania and got to the point where Interstate 70 meets US 30 at Breezewood and there was this flashing red traffic light. I needed to turn right on US 30 but was just unsure as to whether I should proceed. Eventually a motorist behind politely suggested I do something so after a last minute check for road cops I did move off.

Relevant point - we have no equivalent to turn right on red in UK. Also you are not supposed to overtake on the inside but thousands do it.

Red - STOP

Zebedee time.

1. Anyone driving in or around Cocoa Beach, Florida, the cops strictly enforce the speed limit and do not hesitate to issue tickets.

2. Breezewood is a law unto itself. Do whatever makes sense at flashing red lights especially if an 18-wheeler is behind you. As a note, Breezewood is an interesting town with wall to wall motels and restaurants as it serves as a connection between I-70 and the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

1. ...
2. Breezewood is a law unto itself. Do whatever makes sense at flashing red lights especially if an 18-wheeler is behind you. As a note, Breezewood is an interesting town with wall to wall motels and restaurants as it serves as a connection between I-70 and the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

Is I-70 Interstate Highway 70 perchance?

Back