Best City

As a general rule, our British cities have a Cathedral, there are exceptions, but does this apply in the US ?

As a general rule, our British cities have a Cathedral, there are exceptions, but does this apply in the US ?

Far from it. And in US definition varies fairly widely from state to state. For example:

"In Illinois, cities must have a minimum population of 2,500 but in Nebraska, cities must have a minimum of only 800 residents. In Oregon, Kansas, Kentucky, North Dakota, Minnesota, and Iowa, all incorporated municipalities are cities. In Ohio, a municipality automatically becomes a city if it has 5,000 residents counted in a federal census but it reverts to a village if its population drops below 5,000. In Nebraska, 5,000 residents is the minimum for a city of the first class while 800 is the minimum for a city of the second class. The Constitution of Idaho makes no distinction between incorporated towns or cities."
For complete analysis:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City#United_States

Note for UK:

In the United Kingdom, a city is a town which has been known as a city since time immemorial, or which has received city status by letters patent. In England and Wales, prior to 1907 the criterion was simply the establishment of an Anglican Cathedral. For example the small town of Ripon was granted city status in 1836 to coincide with the creation of the Diocese of Ripon, but also in recognition of its long-standing role as a supplier of spurs to royalty.

Newest cities created in the United Kingdom were in:
2012 (Diamond Jubilee): Chelmsford, Perth and St Asaph
2002 (Queen's Jubilee): Lisburn, Newport, Newry, Preston and Stirling.
2000 (Millennium): Brighton and Hove, Inverness and Wolverhampton.

Some of you mentioned Edinburgh i have only ever been there one and i enjoyed it although it was a long time ago.I keep meaning to go back to the Milatary Tattoo
but i have never been to it,The castle if i remember was stunning. :)

Sunderland. ;D
Home is where the heart is and my heart is in Sunderland.
Sells the best Black Bullets in the world and the best Stotty bread.
Its also where the funnist people in the world live.

as Sunderland born and bred i agree with you ;D

Some of you mentioned Edinburgh i have only ever been there one and i enjoyed it although it was a long time ago.I keep meaning to go back to the Milatary Tattoo
but i have never been to it,The castle if i remember was stunning. :)

Yes, in many ways it is a beautiful city (if you keep away from tram works). Tattoo is hugely popular and you do need to get in a booking quick!

The topic of best city ends up being highly objectionable at the end of the day. A lot of times, it is the persons experience in the city that determines if it is good or bad. My hometown area is a hilly, rural tourist area that many people desire to move to. Having been born and raised there, I don't think it is anything great.

Now I live in the suburbs of Washington DC. Washington used to be a great place for day trips but now that I live here, I do nothing but work.

Here is my case in point. My wife is from Nairobi, Kenya. Kenya is supposed to be much more developed and pleasant than its neighbor, Uganda. However, when I was in Kenya on two occasions, most of our time is Nairobi was hectic running around. Then we took a bus to Uganda. Her Ugandan friends showed us nothing but the good parts of Kampala! So when I think of Kampala, I don't think of the extreme poverty or crime. Instead I think of beautiful parks and outdoor restaurants where beautifully tropical birds freely fly around!

Liverpool. I've been to lots of cities both in the U.K. and Europe, but without doubt Liverpool was the most friendly, welcoming and safe place I've ever been. My local city is Swansea. Enough said.

Liverpool. I've been to lots of cities both in the U.K. and Europe, but without doubt Liverpool was the most friendly, welcoming and safe place I've ever been. My local city is Swansea. Enough said.

So you would not recommend Swansea?

So you would not recommend Swansea?

I do like Cardiff. As a rugby man I do appreciate that Millenium Stadium is right there at heart of city. Twickenham is miles out and Lansdowne Road a fair distance. From Edinburgh city centre Murrayfield is almost two miles walk.

Swansea? Being a Neath girl kinda automatically sets me against Swansea! I know some people who are quite afraid to visit Swansea after dark. It's got a bit of a rep for violence. Neath, actually, has a worse reputation. I know some taxi drivers won't go through town on a weekend night. It was in the top three violent places for a night out for years. Swansea has a beautiful beach. It's got a castle, a great market and s fair shopping centre. The history of the place is interesting, but no, overall I'd never reccommend it for a visit. Cardiff is probably safer. St Davids, down in Pembroke is fab, and Bangor, up in the north, is fantastic.

Back