1983 Christmas Special; Getting Sam Home

wstol

Dedicated Member
The first special feature length episode.

This was based on the 1974 novel by Roy Clarke, which orginally had Blamire instead of Foggy. The episode remains fairly true to the novel, ecxept much of the blue language has been removed, and the characters have been modified in places to suit their tv persona.

This special appeared at exactly the right time. The show was at it's peak, and John Comer was still alive to play Sid for the last time.

Bill Owen had a part in getting this feature special made, and set the trend for similar BBC projects like Only Fools and Horses specials. Alan JW Bell was more enthusiastic than Sydney Lotterby, he got the job and stayed with the show till it finally ended.

This programme is definitely the darkest episode of them all. It's also very fondly remembered. For those who particularly like the episode it's well worth reading the novel to see how it could have been, and for all the additional scenes. Possibly some scenes were recorded but not seen in the final print. For example, there is a scene in the book involving an invalid car which I think results in the buckling of Clegg's bicycle wheel.

Later editions of the book simply had Blamire's name substituted for Foggy, without revising other characteristics.

The whole special is shot on film and does not feature studio laughter, which I think is absolutely correct for something which is essentially a film.

The same formula was used for the also excellent Uncle of the Bride, and the very average Big Day at Dream Acres.

It was ok,not my favourite special.Sad it was John Comer's swansong,Tony Melody did a great job dubbing Sid.The nearest the show got to black humour after this was Day Of The Welsh Ferret I think.Sam, Olive and Lily Bless-her were a Howard/Pearl/Marina prototype IMO

Although I enjoyed the film (first time I saw it was the DVD), I had read the book a number of times before. In my mind the events of the story happened somewhere between Series 1 and 2, with Cyril Blamire. So it jarred a little in my mind. Nevertheless, still an enjoyable watch.

I have said it before and I will keep saying it, I LOVE IT :), I know its not everyones cup of tea but I LOVE IT :) I liked Uncle of the Bride too but for some reason I don't like Dream Acers.

I have said it before and I will keep saying it, I LOVE IT :), I know its not everyones cup of tea but I LOVE IT :) I liked Uncle of the Bride too but for some reason I don't like Dream Acers.
Dream Acres doesnt seem to be too popular on here for some reason

I often feel Dream Acres lacked something

I think the plot of Dream Acres was not substantial enough although more could ahve been madeof the story. I woudl draw some parallels with one of the Summer Wine Chronicles - temporarily forgotten its title - when there was a big party at a large house and similar ideas were developed.

Getting Sam Home was very dark, and as already said the film was considerably toned down compared to teh book. I think the second verrsion of the book with Foggy substituted for Blamire creatd all sorts of continuity errors compared with the TV series.

I think the plot of Dream Acres was not substantial enough although more could ahve been madeof the story. I woudl draw some parallels with one of the Summer Wine Chronicles - temporarily forgotten its title - when there was a big party at a large house and similar ideas were developed.

Getting Sam Home was very dark, and as already said the film was considerably toned down compared to teh book. I think the second verrsion of the book with Foggy substituted for Blamire creatd all sorts of continuity errors compared with the TV series.

Yep, I agree with all that. I think Dream Acres really suffered for not having an audience laughter backing, but it suffered more from dragging on too long. Had that been condensed into a noral episode, with just the best bits in and an audience sound track, then it could have been a cracker.

I often feel Dream Acres lacked something
[/quote]

Yes it was lacking something, and has some else said it went on to long. I must say there are not many I dont like.

Yes, Dream Acres didn't reach its potential for my money, it could have been so much better. Ray McNally was excellent as the tramp, the basic storyline was good, but it just didn't deliver. It's watchable, but no more than that, I dont ever actually seek it out to watch.
Getting Sam Home however was very good, it's such a shame about John Comer, he was sadly missed. The plot of that episode was excellent and well executed.

Yes, Dream Acres didn't reach its potential for my money, it could have been so much better. Ray McNally was excellent as the tramp, the basic storyline was good, but it just didn't deliver. It's watchable, but no more than that, I dont ever actually seek it out to watch.
Getting Sam Home however was very good, it's such a shame about John Comer, he was sadly missed. The plot of that episode was excellent and well executed.
Absolutly agree with that :)

;D ME TOO ROB!

:eek: Getting Sam Home is the one bomb in the LOSW collection. #1 the characters did not act like themselves, they were crude and rude, the other characters seemed off-kilter too, everyone acted like a Bizarro world version of themselves. (Those familiar with the old Superman comics know that it was the Bizarro world where people were a mangled alternate version of the same people on Earth, everyone in Bizarro world was a bit cracked.) And that's the way this whole depressing film of Getting Sam Home seemed, long drawn out, unfunny, scenes went on forever that could have been done in 2 seconds, and worst as I've said none of the characters in the film acted like they do in the whole rest of the series. It was like it was written by someone who didn't have a clue about the LOSW world and the characters inhabited there. It was in a word, AWFUL.

"It was in a word, AWFUL."

Really! I love it (and I watch them all a lot).
And I have the book as well. Really a great
episode. I really think the character of Foggy
worked better than Blamire would, at least
as far as actors go.

I really really loved Getting Sam Home and Lilly
(Lynda Baron) has always been a favorite character.
Loved her in Open All Hours as well.

I agree. I always enjoy watching it and I think John Comer did a great job under his circumstances with his voice over. I also have the book but the film is excellent.

:eek: Getting Sam Home is the one bomb in the LOSW collection. #1 the characters did not act like themselves, they were crude and rude, the other characters seemed off-kilter too, everyone acted like a Bizarro world version of themselves. (Those familiar with the old Superman comics know that it was the Bizarro world where people were a mangled alternate version of the same people on Earth, everyone in Bizarro world was a bit cracked.) And that's the way this whole depressing film of Getting Sam Home seemed, long drawn out, unfunny, scenes went on forever that could have been done in 2 seconds, and worst as I've said none of the characters in the film acted like they do in the whole rest of the series. It was like it was written by someone who didn't have a clue about the LOSW world and the characters inhabited there. It was in a word, AWFUL.

Cor blimey, talk about a difference of opinion! I can see what you're saying to an extent mate, it did have the very real feeling of being 'removed' from a normal episode. but being a special and a longer 'film' I thought it had licence to do that and I thought it carried the effect off well.
Strange how tastes differ.

I'm slightly surprised by the mixed reactions about this episode. I assumed it was considered an absolute classic among fans.

The question is, does anyone know what happened to the mobile chip van as seen in Getting Sam Home? Does it still exist?

And, had John Comer lived, would it have appeared in later episodes?

WOW.. Everyones differant, we all like differant things. But again I LOVED IT.
I agree. I always enjoy watching it and I think John Comer did a great job under his circumstances with his voice over. I also have the book but the film is excellent.
Me too I LOVE IT ;D

I'm slightly surprised by the mixed reactions about this episode. I assumed it was considered an absolute classic among fans.

The question is, does anyone know what happened to the mobile chip van as seen in Getting Sam Home? Does it still exist?

And, had John Comer lived, would it have appeared in later episodes?

Can not tell you, but I have noticed that many vehicles make a one off appearance.

I have also noticed that Wesley would be working on a car in one scene and in the next Barry is driving the same car. :) You never see the car Glenda went to church in again or the hearse that Wesley buys.