Young Hyacinth (2016)

BruceC

Dedicated Member
While looking up Roy Clarke on Wiki... I saw this one
Young Hyacinth (2016)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Hyacinth
In the early 1950s, a young Hyacinth Walton is working as a domestic servant for the Cooper-Smiths by day while living in a small canal cottage with her alcoholic father and three sisters (Violet, Rose and Daisy). Impressed by her eccentric employers, Hyacinth vows to escape her poor background and enter a world of the elegant upper class.

Never heard of it... Never been a fan of 'Prequels'... Think they are a dumb idea
Being a fan of the original Keeping up Appearances - anyone tell me how this went? worth chasing?

Thanks

I watched and quite liked it to be fair, there was only one episode unfortunately.

I watched it thought it was a great prequel to the actual series which I thought was amusing but not a series of laugh out loud moments . The overall theme of snobbery that underlies the whole show is often used in comedic shows, look no further than our very own Edie and "Wasley" or You Rang M'Lord which is currently being shown in LOTSW style i.e random episodes/series in typical UK Gold style :mad:

Hello Pearl

I had forgotten how good it was so I have just ordered. It reminds me very much of those wonderful Brian Rix / Ray Cooney farces which still get aired around the country in theatres but sadly not on TV.

Hello Pearl

I had forgotten how good it was so I have just ordered. It reminds me very much of those wonderful Brian Rix / Ray Cooney farces which still get aired around the country in theatres but sadly not on TV.
I like watching now and then, I was never a fan of Hi Di Hi but they're great in You Rang, have you seen Oh Doctor Beeching? Also same gang.

Hi, I have to disagree with you, I watched Young Hyacinth with great anticipation as I absolutely adore KUA. But I found it very weak, I found a lot of the characters unbelievable. The BBC trialed new episodes of KUA, Are You Being Served, Goodnight Sweetheart & Porridge and they were generally not well received. Porridge was the best received and ran for a single series, but the lesson I feel is you can really reinvent classics.

Pearl makes a good point above, Oh Dr Beeching is a very good series, they're all available online. It was the last in the Croft & Perry trilogy, it's a very gentle comedy with a lot of parallels with LOTSW also it features Stephen Lewis. Definitely worth a watch....

Back