Yanks in Yorkshire during Wartime

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
I watched Hermoine (the short course) earlier today. It is one of a handful of episodes that the ladies discuss their time with Yanks during the war.

Were many Yanks stationed in Yorkshire? Was it as affected as much as southern England by the war?

From what I can gather the "Yanks" were everywhere,distracting the ladies with their stockings and chocolate and a new invention of chewy :)

From what I can gather the "Yanks" were everywhere,distracting the ladies with their stockings and chocolate and a new invention of chewy :)

Chewy? Feel free to explain :).

All I know is my two grandfathers had completely different WWII experiences. The one arrived on the shore of Normandy during D-Day alongside British troops literally dodging bullets and rescuing many in the waters as a medic. I could only imagine the attack started from southern England.

The other had it easy, stationed in New Guinea and not seeing any action.

Was Yorkshire attacked to the degree that London was?

Dont know details but I understand the steel making towns (Sheffield etc)were bombed almost nightly :(

Chewy? Feel free to explain :). Shortened for Chewing Gum

All I know is my two grandfathers had completely different WWII experiences. The one arrived on the shore of Normandy during D-Day alongside British troops literally dodging bullets and rescuing many in the waters as a medic. I could only imagine the attack started from southern England.

Chewy? Feel free to explain :). Shortened for Chewing Gum ********???????????

ok, I don't know how I missed that answer, Terry. Also, after reading Susan's post, I was kind of thinking "chewy" was short for chewing gum.

The whole topic came up after so many "running around with Yanks" comments throughout the show. This was primarily with the ladies. I remember Auntie Wainwright saying that she was either engaged or married to a Yank.

I haven't seen mush of First of the Summer Wine, but it would have been interesting to see a show where most of the men are at war and US soldiers running around. Of course, it was a dark time, but comedies such as MASH did well taking place during war time.

I have a dvd of a comedy series called "Yanks go Home" I bought it as Peter Sallis appears in some of them. The right up says "a hilarious ( and in its day , controversial) look at relations between a group of American servicemen and the inhabitants of the Lancashire town in which they are billeted during the war. Its a very old series the date on the dvd is 1976

I have a dvd of a comedy series called "Yanks go Home" I bought it as Peter Sallis appears in some of them. The right up says "a hilarious ( and in its day , controversial) look at relations between a group of American servicemen and the inhabitants of the Lancashire town in which they are billeted during the war. Its a very old series the date on the dvd is 1976

I would love to see that. From my understanding, Yorkshire folk wouldn't mind Yank troop reeking havoc as long as it was in Lancashire. :)

Back