Why?

Til Death was aired last night and was really quite good certainly when compared to AYBS and Porridge . It was effectively a stage play rather than a film set , the actors all took a bow at the end . Simon Day did a reasonable job playing Alf [its so difficult to eclipse someone who is considered to be legendary despite all the controversy surrounding the original scripting with its racial, misogynistic, and sexist overtones] the old traits of sheer frustration were there , as was a good performance by Lizzy Roper as the long suffering Else .

It did seem to be more of a tribute than AYBS/Porridge and there was a five minute soundbite about the original after the show finished which complemented the whole idea behind the tribute. Tonight they are airing Goodnight Sweetheart I believe Nicholas Lyndhurst is actually starring in the remake.

Til Death was aired last night and was really quite good certainly when compared to AYBS and Porridge . It was effectively a stage play rather than a film set , the actors all took a bow at the end . Simon Day did a reasonable job playing Alf [its so difficult to eclipse someone who is considered to be legendary despite all the controversy surrounding the original scripting with its racial, misogynistic, and sexist overtones] the old traits of sheer frustration were there , as was a good performance by Lizzy Roper as the long suffering Else .

It did seem to be more of a tribute than AYBS/Porridge and there was a five minute soundbite about the original after the show finished which complemented the whole idea behind the tribute. Tonight they are airing Goodnight Sweetheart I believe Nicholas Lyndhurst is actually starring in the remake.
I think Till Death ... was actually trying to show up racial, sexist, etc stuff as risible. Warren Mitchell was trying to portray a bigot and he succeeded. As I understand it his own views were totally different! However it was of its era - I doubt we would feel comfortable portraying such an individual now - however laudable the objectives in pointing out the folly of their ways.

Are you being ... is another show that really, in my view, does not translate well to 21st century. It relied on cerain stereotypes - which when done well are amusing - which are no longer helpful. All of that programme exist in colour, readily available and thus the need to remake or rehash them is less obvious.

Some Steptoe stuff I think has been lost but I am unsure how well we can recreate Albert and Harold as portrayed in all its seediness and despair given that enough of the performances exist for us yo be very famliar with them. Actually not sure I would always want them to be in colour - the antics of Oil Drum Lane I think have a better resonance with the subject matter in black and white.

I don't think any Steptoe stuff remains lost as such, except for a mini Christmas sketch, and that sort of thing. So why create a new version of something that isn't even lost? Maybe when I've seen it I'll think differently.

Saw the Till Death Us Do Part episode. Very enjoyable. Interesting it was made to appear like a stage play though, as indicated by the improvised sets. Also don't know why Simon Day didn't bother with the moustache, as this simple addition would have made him a bit more convincing. The actor playing Anthony Booth's character was particularly rubbish though.

I don't think any Steptoe stuff remains lost as such, except for a mini Christmas sketch, and that sort of thing. So why create a new version of something that isn't even lost? Maybe when I've seen it I'll think differently.

Saw the Till Death Us Do Part episode. Very enjoyable. Interesting it was made to appear like a stage play though, as indicated by the improvised sets. Also don't know why Simon Day didn't bother with the moustache, as this simple addition would have made him a bit more convincing. The actor playing Anthony Booth's character was particularly rubbish though.

thanks for the info. Of course the b & w will be rarely seen as the repeat channels much prefer colour.

Well I have been watching these remakes and they are terrible. This was the reason I couldn't bring myself to watch the Dads Army film when it was at the cinema. I didn't want to spoil my memories of the original show which was great. My favourite show has just ended its last series the other week Friday Night Dinner-love it.

What is that one all about please?
A fifty something Jewish couple[Paul Ritter Tasmin Greig] who have their twenty something sons[Simon Bird Tom Rosenthal] over for dinner[tea where I come from-eh up] every Friday night. They have a very odd next door neighbour Jim[Mark Heap], who is fascinated by the Mother and the whole Jewish "thing" on a Friday night. They have two Grandmas, Horrible and Nice who turn up every now and then. Try and watch it on catch up.

Russ Abbot is in the papers today bemoaning [quite rightly] that the BBC have officially confirmed there will not be a third series of Boomers and he is angry about the fact it and LOTSW were canned by the BBC yet they still had high viewing figures . As he states Boomers was achieving figures of 5 million plus which in today's multi faceted media environment is excellent yet not enough to save the show.

The other point he makes is when would you be able to assemble such a high quality cast of experienced actors and actresses with years in the business . The series was a refreshing change on mature lifestyles , not as hard hitting as Still Game but still an good watch . I cannot understand why it gets cancelled yet the tired Still Open all Hours gets series after series just puzzling.

Russ Abbot is in the papers today bemoaning [quite rightly] that the BBC have officially confirmed there will not be a third series of Boomers and he is angry about the fact it and LOTSW were canned by the BBC yet they still had high viewing figures . As he states Boomers was achieving figures of 5 million plus which in today's multi faceted media environment is excellent yet not enough to save the show.

The other point he makes is when would you be able to assemble such a high quality cast of experienced actors and actresses with years in the business . The series was a refreshing change on mature lifestyles , not as hard hitting as Still Game but still an good watch . I cannot understand why it gets cancelled yet the tired Still Open all Hours gets series after series just puzzling.

I believe that the BBC signed a 5 series contact for Still Open All Hours with Roy Clarke, so I suspect now they have finished filming series 5 for screening later this year, it will also be finished.

Yet shows like Antiques Roadshow, Countryfile , Casualty which are well past their sell by date just go on and on, plus several hours of repeats day in and out, the BBC is no longer value for money and not fit for purpose, it is interesting to read that the younger generation don't bother with the BBC or getting a TV licence but find Netflix ,Hula or Amazon a more entertaining option at half the cost of a TV Licence plus many more adult people are not bothering to buy a licence, sticking with online catch up with the other channels, DVD's they own or just not bothering at all.

I liked Boomers, I liked that it was made by and aimed for older viewers, Terry is right when he's says that younger people just don't bother with the BBC so who is going to watch the utter rubbish they put on there? This weekend I can honestly say I didn't watch any live TV, I watched DVDs, and things I've recorded from Sky. The licence fee's are paying exorbitant wages to 4 main people, all men, £2,200,000-2,249,999. Chris Evans, Presenter, I have no idea what he presents, £1,750,000 - £1,799,999. Gary Lineker, Presenter. I know it's football of some sort. £850,000-899,999. Graham Norton, Presenter, never watch him. £700,000-749,999. Jeremy Vine, Presenter, again no idea what, those salaries would be better spent making programs for the people that have been paying their licence for the last 60 years.

And these days these presenter and just giving their and the BBC's views and agenda,basically brainwashing

Just to address the balance and to pinpoint the injustice , Claudia Winkleman , presenter , probably BBC's most successful show Strictly Come Dancing but in essence surely the Dancers are the stars not presenters or Judges however , allegedly only earns between £370,000 and £379,000, which exposes the pay gender gap for all its ills and incorrectness . They should all be a pointless addition and drain on Auntie's coffers on the same level of pay not with that level of disparity .

Last edited:
Just to address the balance and to pinpoint the injustice , Claudia Winkleman presenter probably BBC most successful show Strictly Come Dancing but in essence surely the Dancers are the stars not presenters or Judges however , allegedly only earns between £370,000 and £379,000, which exposes the pay gender gap for all its ills and incorrectness . They should all be a pointless addition and drain on Auntie's coffers on the same level of pay not with that level of disparity .

I totally agree Captain, and there should be a ceiling for a maximum salary that anyone can earn as a presenter and nowhere near the figures they get today, the lower down the chain staff that are just as important get very little pay wise compared to those at the top of the gravy chain

When I occasionally hear Jeremy Vine on the car radio and some of the other highly paid presenters such as Chris Evans I am struck by how facile some of their arguments are. Or is it just me?
I recall him talking to somebody who was living on benefits not long after the pay rates were published and wondering how can he ever comprehend how the majority of his listeners exist given his enormous income. Hardly ever listen to BBC radio these days and still have a licence as I have the capability to watch TV so until I remove that I believe I have no choice. However on the odd occasion I try I have found that Freeview is no longer working for me - no BBC1 or BBC2 and all other channels pixelated. tried retuning but no improvement.

How do I watch my DVDs, and avoid licence as my screen is also a TV?

When I occasionally hear Jeremy Vine on the car radio and some of the other highly paid presenters such as Chris Evans I am struck by how facile some of their arguments are. Or is it just me?
I recall him talking to somebody who was living on benefits not long after the pay rates were published and wondering how can he ever comprehend how the majority of his listeners exist given his enormous income. Hardly ever listen to BBC radio these days and still have a licence as I have the capability to watch TV so until I remove that I believe I have no choice. However on the odd occasion I try I have found that Freeview is no longer working for me - no BBC1 or BBC2 and all other channels pixelated. tried retuning but no improvement.

How do I watch my DVDs, and avoid licence as my screen is also a TV?

Rod you just inform the TVLA online that you no longer watch live TV or Catch Up on iplayer (You can watch catch up on commercial channels) they will credit any over payments,and write to you every 2 years to see if this is the case, there is also a good chance they will write to attempt to intimidate you into getting a licence, they did this with me for around 6 months,then I threatened them with intimidation and they stopped, if they should ever turn up on your doorstep, do not let them onto your premises and don't sign anything, they are well known for making up a pack of lies and get you into court, the have no legal standing to enter your home. Remove any wiring to aerial or dish from TV.

Back