Who lives in a house like this??

As a person who was ceremoniously thrown out of Woodwork and Metalwork classes at school and told in no uncertain terms never to " darken my door again" which let to an absolute loathing of and inability to undertake DIY I cannot comment on the issues raised however any recognition of the show is always a plus so glad to see it.

And there is an apostrophe missing in Compo's.

Cracked plaque, and fitted with ugly pozi screws instead of nice brass slotted ones.

It was a nice thought, but it's a bit rough.
That bodge job has set off my OCD big time. You're right, those pozi screws are a travesty, overtightened and ruining the plaque. Grr..

What do you have to do to get kicked out of woodworking?
I suppose the person who put up that plaque was at a loss how to fix it to a stone wall without a little extra torque. An old handyman taught me to use a masonry bit to drill the hole, then cut a green twig from a tree just the same diameter as the hole, hammer it in, and then you can use any kind of screws you like. It will hold well too. It's like using a wall anchor.
Thanks for the clarification, Peri, "Eh" makes it sound like Compo's gone Canadian.

What do you have to do to get kicked out of woodworking?
I suppose the person who put up that plaque was at a loss how to fix it to a stone wall without a little extra torque. An old handyman taught me to use a masonry bit to drill the hole, then cut a green twig from a tree just the same diameter as the hole, hammer it in, and then you can use any kind of screws you like. It will hold well too. It's like using a wall anchor.
Thanks for the clarification, Peri, "Eh" makes it sound like Compo's gone Canadian.
He would have by now if he had gone to Canada to hunt with his ferrets. I suppose tackling Nora Batty was like hunting bears. Though I think It would been safer hunting the bears.

Is it an Official plaque issued by one of the organisations who are behind the scheme or is it someone local who is a fan and maybe trying to promote the show . It certainly looks an Amateur effort in production and deployment which would be a shame as he deserves an Official plaque for his achievements with the show and his promotion of the local area as indeed does the whole show .

I was on a Heritage walk on Wednesday about probably one of the greatest architects in the UK and certainly Newcastle Richard Grainger and like Compo there was no monument to all the beautiful buildings he designed and built [The Theatre Royal in Newcastle is perhaps the most famous ] . Eventually the local council recognised this and have created a tasteful memorial large plague set in the pavement near his iconic Central Arcade and Covered Market . Time to get your hands in your pockets Holme Valley Parish Council.

Is it an Official plaque issued by one of the organisations who are behind the scheme or is it someone local who is a fan and maybe trying to promote the show . It certainly looks an Amateur effort in production and deployment which would be a shame as he deserves an Official plaque for his achievements with the show and his promotion of the local area as indeed does the whole show .

I've yet to see one of these plaques in person but from what I can tell - are they're normally cast metal with raised lettering?

Back