When did Clegg become more fainthearted

WellyMan

Dedicated Member
On YouTube I watched the first couple of eps of series 1 and Clegg is a different characters to the later series I'm familiar with where he's a fainthearted person. In which series did that change happen, and also which series did he stop trying to do a Yorkshire accent?

I really enjoy the musings and mischeviousness of early Clegg. Frozen Turkey Man where he gets the barmaid interested in Foggy is hilarious. Sadly, it does seem to have disipated somewhat over time throughout the series.

I really enjoy the musings and mischeviousness of early Clegg. Frozen Turkey Man where he gets the barmaid interested in Foggy is hilarious. Sadly, it does seem to have disipated somewhat over time throughout the series.
Dissipated Rick? Wow, that's a big word. I'm impressed. Have you been having dictionary sandwiches again? I will now sit quietly in a corner and try to think of a sentence with the word 'dissipated' in it. I bet that the Captain thinks of one before I do. Mmm, either the Captain or Dick. Better still is your use of 'mischievousness'. That word quite literally blew my socks off. It is as though they had just dissipated. :fp:

Not sure exactly when he lost his "Attitude", but in the scene where he leaps around in the cafe and sings in Russian, frightening an old lady who's just coming into the cafe, he seemed a bit extreme even for the old Clegg. He seemed to start to go downhill after that episode. Maybe he even frightened himself at that point ?

Last edited:
I just finished watching "Ballad for Wind Instruments and Canoe" where off-camera the canoe capsized and they all fell into the drink; and earlier, in the cafe, Cleggy has some lines of pure prophecy. He expounds on the chances of the canoe capsizing and ends up sounding very confident that all will be well. And as it turned out, it was.

When I re-watch the series each time I look for the changes in Clegg. One thing I've noticed is that it mostly happened after the arrival of Marina in Series 8. Although its never explained in the show, in her first appearance they make reference to events that were covered by the stage play. It appears that Clegg was permanently changed by that experience. However, there was an episode in the 90s where we discover that Clegg and Marina were stuck on a lift together at one point. an event that was supposed to have happened "years ago." So maybe that is the explanation. Either way, by the time Seymour arrives Clegg is almost completely changed, though on occasion his earlier persona comes out, such as in "When You Take a Good Bite, Yorkshire Tastes Terrible" in Series 9.

Back