What are you listening to?

barmpot

LOTSW Fanatic
Given that there have been one or two express a preference for jazz in their musical choices on another thread (I think it was the best music of 2011) has made me wonder what people are listenign to as they sit at their PC.

For me, this evening it has been Coleman Hawkins - while typing up an essay due in on Wednesday ...

I am listening to alot of traditional Jazz at the moment, particularly Fats Waller, Bix Beiderbecke, Jack Teagarden and Muggsy Spannier

Good choice there Barmpot, I bought a 4 cd boxset of Coleman Hawkins a couple of weeks ago, its great stuff!

Some Don Ellis followed by Trane, then some early Diz.

But on a more pop-u-lar level, just picked up a great
music video with Fats, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Ray Charles.
Got Ronnie Wood on guitar as well.

i love blues music anything from good old delta blues right up to blues rock.
Bukka White, robert johnson, charlie patton etc
muddy waters, howlin wolf (both with the great hubert sumlin on guitar)
rolling stones, john mayall's bluesbreakers especially with the legend Mick Taylor, the most underrated guitarist of all-time.

i could go on with my music tastes but i would never be able to finish.

ohh go on then a few more, canned heat, janis joplin, humble pie, cream, johnny winter etc

think i best stop now

crosby, stills nash and young

stop james stop!!

I am listening to alot of traditional Jazz at the moment, particularly Fats Waller, Bix Beiderbecke, Jack Teagarden and Muggsy Spannier

Good choice there Barmpot, I bought a 4 cd boxset of Coleman Hawkins a couple of weeks ago, its great stuff!

I think that must be the same set I have ....

like your choices

8) A staunch BOB DYLAN fan most of my listening is BOB oriented. However I have an eclectic taste otherwise(water boys, travelling wilburys ,rolling stones ,status quo, eagles, leonard cohen , the list go's on . I love early r&b( the stones) ,country music and some opera also classical.Iwas listening to a lot of jazz on AFN before I knew what it really was but enjoying it all the same 8)

The Coleman Hawkins Boxset I bought the other week is the 4cd JSP one in Jewel Cases, There is also the 4cd Proper box set in Card Cases.

I have alot of Rolling Stones albums from the Mick Taylor years upwards. I haven't listened to them for a while so I have to give them a spin someday.

I have alot of Rolling Stones albums from the Mick Taylor years upwards. I haven't listened to them for a while so I have to give them a spin someday.
[/quote]

Try and get a hold of the bootlegs from the STP American tour '72 and European tour of 73' these will surely remind you why they are or were the greatest rock n roll band of al time.

My musical tastes are rather broad. In any given day, I could go from listening to Andres Segovia to Burl Ives to Judas Priest to everything else in between.

;D Forgot to mention , I love listening to the older comedy type records( SPIKE JONES , STAN FREEBURG, THE GOON SHOWS ,I had a lot on vinyl but let them go when my gramaphone died)I have now got a fair few on compilations. Still a GOONS fan!!

;D Forgot to mention , I love listening to the older comedy type records( SPIKE JONES , STAN FREEBURG, THE GOON SHOWS ,I had a lot on vinyl but let them go when my gramaphone died)I have now got a fair few on compilations. Still a GOONS fan!!

I have got the Spike Jones Proper 4cd boxset 'Strictly for Music Lovers' which is really funny and a good value for money and I bought the Allan Sherman CD called 'My Son, The Greatest' which is also quite good.

I have got the Spike Jones Proper 4cd boxset 'Strictly for Music Lovers' which is really funny and a good value for money and I bought the Allan Sherman CD called 'My Son, The Greatest' which is also quite good.
Had a thing forAllan Sherman and Bob N ewhart records around the same time. Bobs "The Button Down Mind Strikes Back "was a favourite but the LP was savaged by a dog when it got knocked out of my hands one night and I never replaced it.I too have the Spikes jones box set VG value!

There's a lot of Bob Newhart stuff on Amazon for a good price, 'The Button Down Mind Strikes Back' is around £5 or something, Allan Sherman stuff tends to be dearer.

There's a lot of Bob Newhart stuff on Amazon for a good price, 'The Button Down Mind Strikes Back' is around £5 or something, Allan Sherman stuff tends to be dearer.
Thanks friend I will check it out and see what else I can find. :D

Been on Amazon and got myself a 2cd Bob Newhart and 2 cd Stan Freeberg(another of my old favourites )for about £10-00. What Allan Sherman I saw were a little pricey. Maybe another day?? :D

Back