Villages

cciaffone

Dedicated Member
While looking at the Street Names thread, I was reminded
of the Villages (towns??) thing. We got many many
mentions of Huddersfield (usually a put down) and
Upperthong (just up the road from Compo's grave site).

Cannot remember any others though.

Do not think Holmfirth was ever mentioned, nor
even Netherthong, nor Wooldale, and not Thongs Bridge.

So howcum we always get Huddersfield and Upperthong???

chuck

I can't really answer that, but the biggest put down is usually anywhere 'southern'. Or Wales!

Remember the scene (I think getting Barry higher in the world?) where Compo Clegg and Seymour are stood on the hillside watching the train going by??Compo says" I wonder where its going"?? Seymour says "London probably!" At this all three take off their hats! So it shows what they thought of that!! ;D ::)

I can't really answer that, but the biggest put down is usually anywhere 'southern'. Or Wales!

....or anywhere not Yorkshire. :)

One of the great Clegg lines - and Clegg did get all the best lines as far as I am concerned - in Extra! Extra! when asked to give directions it went something like:

"I cannot take the responsibility. I once gave someone directions and they ended up in Lancashire. I never forgave myself".

Remember the scene (I think getting Barry higher in the world?) where Compo Clegg and Seymour are stood on the hillside watching the train going by??Compo says" I wonder where its going"?? Seymour says "London probably!" At this all three take off their hats! So it shows what they thought of that!! ;D ::)

I am not arguing as you might well be right. But my recollection is that it was Truly. Or could the same line have been used twice?

I remember in "Deep in the Heart of Yorkshire", they mentioned a town like Upperthong but they said either Middlethong or Lowerthong. This was early in my days of location finding and I remember not finding the town in question, just Upperthong.

Yeah, that's my thing. Howcum izzit that Upperthong and Huddersfield
come in for all the attention, while Holme, Holmfirth,
Marsden, Jackson Bridge, and Hepworth get away unscathed
for all that they are featured so often in the actual filming.

I am not arguing as you might well be right. But my recollection is that it was Truly. Or could the same line have been used twice?
They often seemed to be but with subtle differences occasionally?

They often seemed to be but with subtle differences occasionally?

It was Seymour in the episode Getting Barry higher in the World

It was Seymour in the episode Getting Barry higher in the World

Yes, I accept. Must have been thinking of something else with Truly. Seemed a wee bit out of character for Seymour with his less parochial, more flamboyant, man of the world, attempted sophisticate attitude.

Mablethorpe always gets a dishonourable mention, along with Barnsley when Nora compares the sight of Compo's Long Johns to it.

Back