Twenty first century life

barmpot

LOTSW Fanatic
I have just heard a rag and bone passing - nearly every week I can hear his shouts but rarely see him - complete with horse and cart (shades of Hercules) but today I caught a glimpse and i note the concession to modern 21st century life is a hi-vis jacket!

Is this compulsory or just one that soem one threw out!

With todays health and saftey standards,i would imagine it was probably compulsory.When i was a groom we were supposed to wear,toe capped boots,hard hats and i believe a high visiblity jacket,although,not quite sure about the last one as its been so long now.I do know that the rules they imposed could make it very difficult to work.

Hector

I have just heard a rag and bone passing - nearly every week I can hear his shouts but rarely see him - complete with horse and cart (shades of Hercules) but today I caught a glimpse and i note the concession to modern 21st century life is a hi-vis jacket!

Is this compulsory or just one that soem one threw out!
I am not familiar with the phrase "rag and bone" is this a sales man of some type?

I am not familiar with the phrase "rag and bone" is this a sales man of some type?
[/quote] Rag and bone stems from the 1930s/40s/50s era when an old man used to go round the streets shouting for rags,bottles or bones.He loaded any he collected onto his horse and cart and went off . At the end of the day/ week depending on his collecting he would sell his rags to the local rag merchant. His bottles were sorted to see if any had deposits (normally pennies )and he would take those back to the shops .The bones would be sold to the local glue factory and thus he made a living of sorts. In time his shout was trimmed to rag and bone or sometimes ragbone. As you see he was not a salesman as such, more of a re-cycler of his age!!

Rag and bone stems from the 1930s/40s/50s era when an old man used to go round the streets shouting for rags,bottles or bones.He loaded any he collected onto his horse and cart and went off . At the end of the day/ week depending on his collecting he would sell his rags to the local rag merchant. His bottles were sorted to see if any had deposits (normally pennies )and he would take those back to the shops .The bones would be sold to the local glue factory and thus he made a living of sorts. In time his shout was trimmed to rag and bone or sometimes ragbone. As you see he was not a salesman as such, more of a re-cycler of his age!!
[/quote] Thank You so much for explaining it to me.

Have you not seen the show on History channel called American Pickers? they basically are twenty first century
rag and bone men. This is my most favourite show of the moment, i advise you all to watch it. Some of the stuff they find and what its worth is amazing.

Have you not seen the show on History channel called American Pickers? they basically are twenty first century
rag and bone men. This is my most favourite show of the moment, i advise you all to watch it. Some of the stuff they find and what its worth is amazing.
I have seen it a couple of times. It is pretty amazing.

Rag and bone stems from the 1930s/40s/50s era when an old man used to go round the streets shouting for rags,bottles or bones.He loaded any he collected onto his horse and cart and ....r of his age!!
[/quote]

and it seems well into the 21st century, here in Yorkshire. I recall they played havoc with computer controlled traffic lights at Sheepscar intersection in Leeds in the 1980s - took too long to pass across the six lanes at one point!

Rag and bone stems from the 1930s/40s/50s era when an old man used to go round the streets shouting for rags,bottles or bones.He loaded any he collected onto his horse and cart and ....r of his age!!

and it seems well into the 21st century, here in Yorkshire. I recall they played havoc with computer controlled traffic lights at Sheepscar intersection in Leeds in the 1980s - took too long to pass across the six lanes at one point!
[/quote]
Do they still go by horse and cart?

Back