Try and Guess

Real puzzled by this. Only just found the "general statistics" page/data. How does website know you're "online"? I never logout - am logged on permanently. Can system detect I have moved to another website? Scary!

Real puzzled by this. Only just found the "general statistics" page/data. How does website know you're "online"? I never logout - am logged on permanently. Can system detect I have moved to another website? Scary!

Pretty sure it does not do that,there is a time-out when you are logged in, as often I do not see you logged into the forum,which is when it collects the data, and looking at it, it does it only when you are logged out again before adding that time to the states

Pretty sure it does not do that,there is a time-out when you are logged in, as often I do not see you logged into the forum,which is when it collects the data, and looking at it, it does it only when you are logged out again before adding that time to the states

Just did a wee bit experiment. Noted my total time "online" when I came to forum this morning. Spent about five minutes catching up. Checked total time "online" again and it had increased by that five minutes. Did not log out. Did not close the website. Simply moved to another website. Returned to forum about half an hour later. Total time "Online" had not changed. So "system" can obviously track when we move away from the forum even by minimising it. Must be done by cookies. An aside, are we "new cookie regulation" compliant?

Just did a wee bit experiment. Noted my total time "online" when I came to forum this morning. Spent about five minutes catching up. Checked total time "online" again and it had increased by that five minutes. Did not log out. Did not close the website. Simply moved to another website. Returned to forum about half an hour later. Total time "Online" had not changed. So "system" can obviously track when we move away from the forum even by minimising it. Must be done by cookies. An aside, are we "new cookie regulation" compliant?

A further wee bit of experimentation. Checked my website so-called "Total Time Spent Online" reading. Did not move away from website but opened up an Excel Spread-sheet and did some housekeeping on it. Closed it down after about ten minutes and, of course, forum website was there. Rechecked the "Total Time Spent Online" reading. It had increased by that approximate ten minute figure. So, although I was not strictly speaking online on the website my count was still being increased.

Back