Top of the Morning.

Peripheral

Dedicated Member
HelloooooOOOOOO. Top of the morning to y'all. I have often wondered about that expression, 'top of the morning', top of what? If we were sitting on the chimney then I could understand it. I must point out that I don't sit on chimneys anymore, I gave that up when one day my bum filled up with smoke and the fire brigade stuffed a hosepipe up my backside to put out the fire. The result of that was that the water surged through my body and out of my nostrils with such force that I took off like a space shuttle and did three orbits of Mars before returning to earth and landing on the church spire in the next street. It was Sunday and the vicar was just arriving to give the morning service. He looked up at me and said "Top of the morning to you Brian". The slate I threw at him narrowly missed his top lip. It hit him on the nose. The vicar's nose was bleeding and my own nostrils had become decidedly webbed due to all the water. That incident reduced my desire for sitting on high chimney pots to zero but, I must admit that I have to walk quickly past bungalows.
Hope y'all have a nice day. Mmm, nice day, I wonder?...... NAH....

Peri,

Here are some interesting sources to the phrase being coined including that it's a reference to unhomogonised milk and the best part(the cream) always floats to the top of the bottle which of course would be on the doorstep of most homes first thing in the morning. :)

Peri,

Here are some interesting sources to the phrase being coined including that it's a reference to unhomogonised milk and the best part(the cream) always floats to the top of the bottle which of course would be on the doorstep of most homes first thing in the morning. :)

WOW, that's a good word to juggle your tongue and tonsils with, unhomo whatever it is you said. I always thought that word was describing someone who had stopped being gay. :geek2:

I, too, looked it up and oddly enough, they all reference the cream rising to the top of the milk. Of course, now a days, there is no chance that cream will rise to the top thanks to homogenization process.

WOW, that's a good word to juggle your tongue and tonsils with, unhomo whatever it is you said. I always thought that word was describing someone who had stopped being gay. :geek2:

Whilst English is the most prevalent language in the wider world I imagine languages such as Polish would offer up a far higher chance of a double letter, triple word score and the potential to win in a game of Scrabble ;)

Whilst English is the most prevalent language in the wider world I imagine languages such as Polish would offer up a far higher chance of a double letter, triple word score and the potential to win in a game of Scrabble ;)
You have a good point there Captain. Unfortunately I cannot offer an opinion on the subject because the only occasion I make use of polish is when I'm cleaning my shoes. Sometimes I use it when I'm cleaning my wife's toenails.:confused2:

Back