Tom

amos hames

Dedicated Member
How many of you out there were fans of Tom and what were his best moments.I liked Tom from the begining and i think by the end of the run he was quite popular with most people.Your top Tom moments please

While Tom was never gonna be another Compo, I liked
early Tom. I especially liked Tom and Waldo duets.

Later, with Auntie, maybe not so much.

chuck

Tom was poor to begin with tailed off in the middle and didn't improve much in my view.
Once he found a niche in Aunties shop as a double act with Smiler he was at his best.

I would tend to agree with chuffer.Tom was at his best when teamed with smiler and the two together were quite funny ;D

Hector.

I didn't like Tom when he was first introduced, with that wierd girlfriend :eek:, his shed as a home, and that ratty old dog puppet, he was like a bum squatting on the land >:(. But, I agree, his scenes with Smiler, when they more or less became partners, were good. His solo scenes with just Auntie where he mainly acted as a subordinate clerk, weren't so good, but he did seem to morph into the show's "voice of reason", seemingly the only sane and reasonable character on the program. A sort of Bob Newhart surrounded by crazies. So Tom's character certainly changed over the years and I would say much for the better. :)

I didn't like Tom when he was first introduced, with that wierd girlfriend :eek:, his shed as a home, and that ratty old dog puppet, he was like a bum squatting on the land >:(. But, I agree, his scenes with Smiler, when they more or less became partners, were good. His solo scenes with just Auntie where he mainly acted as a subordinate clerk, weren't so good, but he did seem to morph into the show's "voice of reason", seemingly the only sane and reasonable character on the program. A sort of Bob Newhart surrounded by crazies. So Tom's character certainly changed over the years and I would say much for the better. :)
Clegg was sane,in his own way :)

I thought Tom was at his best during his first couple of series. When they bunged him in the shop he lost his wide boy wheeler dealer type persona. His associate Mrs Avery gave him a bit of interest too. He was brought into the series with a rather prestigious role, and at the end was virtually insignificant.

At least Tom being there gave Smiler someone to hang around with apart from Auntie,must admit I wish Mrs Avery had stayed longer though

Tom's dad was a hard act to follow and maybe we expected him to be a lot more like Compo,I know he tried very hard to make his part work

The day that he was left in charge of the police car was my favourite Tom moment. A call came over the radio and he answered 'Hello' and then in answer to the obvious question, who are you? he said 'it's Tom'. It wasn't what he said, it was the way he said it.

Tom's dad was a hard act to follow and maybe we expected him to be a lot more like Compo,I know he tried very hard to make his part work
whenever he says 'I wish I'd known my father' I find it poignant as Tom and Bill didnt have a close relationship in real life,I jnow that from a Tom Owen interview I read.

Sadly Madly Bradley when Tom tries to jump in the dinghy and bounces straight out again.

I feel that although Smiler and Tom worked for Auntie i think that Smiler's role was more important then Tom's. Tom was secondary. Maybe he was never given the chance. Oh yes I did love Waldo. He had a good bark...LOL

Back