Thoughts on rewatching series 18

C W Northrop

Dedicated Member
Could be Smiler's best series IMO.His parts in the '97 series seemed more substantial,in particular 'The Love Mobile', 'The Mysterious C W Northrop' and 'How To Create A Monster'. Also noted when both Lance and Davenport had minor falls,Clegg's first reaction is to assume they're dead

Could be Smiler's best series IMO.His parts in the '97 series seemed more substantial,in particular 'The Love Mobile', 'The Mysterious C W Northrop' and 'How To Create A Monster'. Also noted when both Lance and Davenport had minor falls,Clegg's first reaction is to assume they're dead

I didn't take notice that it may have been Smiler's most significant series. I recently posted about thoughts on Stephen Lewis and Smiler was close to my heart when I began another thread, "best replacement character".

If Series 18 was the height of Smiler's involvement, was there something about the intro to Truly that led to a slight diminishing of Smiler's roles?

i always enjoyed smilers contribution to the programme, but to be honest i dont think the potential in his character was ever fully exploited..i cant remember the episode but the one where he trained up to be a literary critic has always been my favourite episode with regards him. :)

Just after my previous post I caught "Ironing Day" for the first time. So, I can't agree for sure that his roles decreased after Series 18. I loved his role on this episode.

i always enjoyed smilers contribution to the programme, but to be honest i dont think the potential in his character was ever fully exploited..i cant remember the episode but the one where he trained up to be a literary critic has always been my favourite episode with regards him. :)

I can agree to that. Perhaps around the time of Series 19 and 20 (and maybe more after that) the show would have benefited from more Smiler and a little less of all the Howard and Marina plots. At least that is my humble opinion.

I don't mean to overrun this thread, but I recently made posts relating to Foggy in Series 18. One was on the Series Voting topic and another was from my own thread, "Foggy's Final Departure". Since some may have missed these and since they relate to this thread by CW, I will past them here.

"Foggy's Final Departure"
Earlier this week I watched Destiny and Six Bananas and Side Car Named Desire. Today my wife made an error in taping Beware of Oglethorpe (but I still love her).

Anyway, I know Brian Wilde left the show due to poor health, but my question is did they know Sidecar was going to be his last episode? My guess is it wasn't know at the time because his role is quite insignificant. He actually doesn't make an appearance until 9-10 minutes in.

On the other hand, "Destiny and Six Bananas would have been a great swan song for Foggy. Foggy in the safari outfit standing on the Ultra terrain vehicle was great. He was so proud of himself.the irony in the end is he actually succeeding is something; hitting the "ape" with the dart! Also, I don't want to forget that he was actually brave in that episode, going into the woods (then again maybe not as he sent others in to flush the apes out).

Series 18 Voting
As mentioned before, this area wasn't exactly considered a golden era of the show. However I do believe there were gems in each of the 90's series. How to Create A Monster was good and Destiny and Six Bananas was great in my opinion, which served Foggy well as one of his final episodes. In other words, I viewed it as a good send off.

I don't mean to overrun this thread, but I recently made posts relating to Foggy in Series 18. One was on the Series Voting topic and another was from my own thread, "Foggy's Final Departure". Since some may have missed these and since they relate to this thread by CW, I will past them here.

"Foggy's Final Departure"
Earlier this week I watched Destiny and Six Bananas and Side Car Named Desire. Today my wife made an error in taping Beware of Oglethorpe (but I still love her).

Anyway, I know Brian Wilde left the show due to poor health, but my question is did they know Sidecar was going to be his last episode? My guess is it wasn't know at the time because his role is quite insignificant. He actually doesn't make an appearance until 9-10 minutes in.

On the other hand, "Destiny and Six Bananas would have been a great swan song for Foggy. Foggy in the safari outfit standing on the Ultra terrain vehicle was great. He was so proud of himself.the irony in the end is he actually succeeding is something; hitting the "ape" with the dart! Also, I don't want to forget that he was actually brave in that episode, going into the woods (then again maybe not as he sent others in to flush the apes out).

Series 18 Voting
As mentioned before, this area wasn't exactly considered a golden era of the show. However I do believe there were gems in each of the 90's series. How to Create A Monster was good and Destiny and Six Bananas was great in my opinion, which served Foggy well as one of his final episodes. In other words, I viewed it as a good send off.

Agree with you Cod,Foggys line about Horlicks making him sleep always makes me laugh.Overall i like this series but then again i like every series even the Hobbo era is growing on me which i never thought it wood. :)

Also one of fthe episodes begins wth the sound of a cockerel before the opening theme begins, forgot which one though. which is shocking as I only saw it recently :-[.I think i'ts Next Kiss Please

Back