This will be the the first Christmas for my siblings and I without our mam.

I lost a very dear friend of 40 years earlier this year out of the blue. He was super fit and well , went out for a bike ride with friends had a massive heart attack and sadly passed away . He , another 8 great friends and ex work mates and myself met regularly to go out socially , two weekly trips to the races , we were due to all go to Spain in June and that was of course canned, and now if we ever do get to meet up there will be an empty space at the table .

The Funeral was just awful because of the sheer sudden element of his demise we couldn't go into the service and had to stand in the grounds of the crematorium to listen to the service on a single inappropriate speaker and we heard basically nothing . There was of course no wake because of the Covid rules and it just leaves you with that empty feeling which will of course be even more prevalent at Christmas.

Whilst it was truly awful for my friends and I, it is a pale shadow of the 63,000 plus empty spaces at tables around the country that have been rendered so by this awful virus . All we can do is to sympathise with all the families and loved ones who have suffered such pain and distress this year and particularly to the members of this site at what should be a time for great Celebration.

I lost a very dear friend of 40 years earlier this year out of the blue. He was super fit and well , went out for a bike ride with friends had a massive heart attack and sadly passed away . He , another 8 great friends and ex work mates and myself met regularly to go out socially , two weekly trips to the races , we were due to all go to Spain in June and that was of course canned, and now if we ever do get to meet up there will be an empty space at the table .

The Funeral was just awful because of the sheer sudden element of his demise we couldn't go into the service and had to stand in the grounds of the crematorium to listen to the service on a single inappropriate speaker and we heard basically nothing . There was of course no wake because of the Covid rules and it just leaves you with that empty feeling which will of course be even more prevalent at Christmas.

Whilst it was truly awful for my friends and I, it is a pale shadow of the 63,000 plus empty spaces at tables around the country that have been rendered so by this awful virus . All we can do is to sympathise with all the families and loved ones who have suffered such pain and distress this year and particularly to the members of this site at what should be a time for great Celebration.
Very well put Captain

It will be my first Christmas without my Mother as well, and if feels like its the first without my Father. See, back in mid 2019 my Father passed at 87. But by the time we got to last Christmas, my Mother was ill and clearly near the end. It didn't feel like any holiday season at all as I was at home taking care of her and by her wishes nobody came around to say goodbye or for the holidays. She was hardly in shape to enjoy that, sadly. She passed in mid January of this year at the age of 76.

As a result, this whole holiday season has been a challenge for me because I keep thinking about her final months and it really does feel like they both are actually gone. It hasn't been a great time at work either, as I work in retail and we are not really in good shape for the holidays this year. Of course with Covid, its not like I'm going to be spending Christmas with friends either.

So its kind of depressing. However, I don't want to be one of those people who never enjoys the holidays again. And there were many years when I was living alone as a young adult far from home where I spent Christmas by myself. So I know I can survive it and find something fun to do that day.

I held back adding likes until now because it does not really portray the sympathy and support for all these very personal and heartfelt stories . I hope the addition of the like does not cause any undue upset , I am merely trying to show support.:)

Back