The Old Bridge

Make the most of Holmfirth on your next visit. Kirklees have given the go ahead for the towns redevelopment to start later this year & will be 2 years of disruption. Personally I feel sad that it will no longer be as we are used to seeing it, after all it still attracts tourists because of the way it is. Quirky is interesting!

I'm staying in a lovely character hotel in Ledbury (a wonderful little town I've not visited before) and I've just discovered it's in the same chain as The Old Bridge in Holmfirth. Appreciate it's a bit of an advertorial but I found this article in their magazine interesting.
The Old Bridge has a very interesting history. Was that covered in the hotel chain's booklet?

Make the most of Holmfirth on your next visit. Kirklees have given the go ahead for the towns redevelopment to start later this year & will be 2 years of disruption. Personally I feel sad that it will no longer be as we are used to seeing it, after all it still attracts tourists because of the way it is. Quirky is interesting!
If the existence of pedestrians is recognized, I'll be happy. It will help both pedestrians and drivers if the walk signals at the top and bottom of Victoria Street are synchronized and if drivers pay any attention to them. I hate that the Market Hall is being demolished in favor of another car park. The one at Crown Bottom is seldom full.

I read about that some time ago Graham and have been dreading it,they’re going to redevelop the whole area outside the cafe in front of the Old Bridge to ease traffic congestion,I fear for the character of the town.
Hmm, it will be interesting to see what they do. Compared to 20 odd years ago though the traffic travelling through the town has increased so much… like everywhere else really.

Hmm, it will be interesting to see what they do. Compared to 20 odd years ago though the traffic travelling through the town has increased so much… like everywhere else really.
Need more and better public transport, with only short drives to terminals, free parking for transport passengers, and with EV chargers in the car parks.

Perhaps they're approaching the problem the wrong way, whats wrong with only allowing public transport in the centre with plenty of parking on the outskirts. Most visitors could then use Shank's pony and for those who can't perhaps a park and ride.

Sadly it was just the pages I included in the post, but it is nice that they are keeping the nations old coaching inns open and still sympathetic to their original character.

I stayed in a smallish B and B in Carlisle and in the visitors information book there was a history of the place which was a really nice touch and interesting . Now , when I stay somewhere where there is a bit of age to to the building I always put in the post stay survey you always seem to get now that it would be a plus if the owner could add a short precis of the buildings history .

I found out that this particular lodge had been a private school built in the late 1800's and the original gateposts with the schools name remained, closing finally in 1937 [the owner had even discovered the name whose tutorage the school was just before it closed] when it reverted to private residence .

It remained as private residence until the 1960's when it became a private, appointment only, first edition and antique books bookshop which it remained as for 30 years before becoming a B and B .

I just think its a great way of purveying history to people .

Coincidence alert: I've got a friend who lives in Ledbury.
Small world! I take it you've been a few times before, have you seen much of the place? Due to time constraints I didn't get time to explore the town as much as I'd have liked.

Small world! I take it you've been a few times before, have you seen much of the place? Due to time constraints I didn't get time to explore the town as much as I'd have liked.
Unfortunately not. Over the years we've only seen each other occasionally and that was usually somewhere halfway between where we live. I went there once for a gathering but didn't get to see the town.

Quirky is essential.
Developments? BAH!!!!
MONEY MONEY MONEY

So it's the through traffic that is causing all of these changes. Very sad.

Back