The New Azuma

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
I see LNER have even more of these running on the East Coast Main Line, my whole family have now traveled on one at different times and we all agree that compared to the older trains they are far less comfortable, shame really as they look nice

How is that progress swapping speed for comfort ? Is the carriage layout similar a mix of twin seats in facing in both directions and groups of four with tables ? Has the legroom decreased [I am 6 ft 3 and have issues with some rolling stock but the mainline LNER carriages and Virgin before them had ample leg room] ? Is it the seating construction which is the issue, particularly on a long journey where it would possibly be uncomfortable to sit for long periods ? Thanks for any information Terry.

How is that progress swapping speed for comfort ? Is the carriage layout similar a mix of twin seats in facing in both directions and groups of four with tables ? Has the legroom decreased [I am 6 ft 3 and have issues with some rolling stock but the mainline LNER carriages and Virgin before them had ample leg room] ? Is it the seating construction which is the issue, particularly on a long journey where it would possibly be uncomfortable to sit for long periods ? Thanks for any information Terry.

Captain it is the seat quality, it is narrower and harder, there is a little more legroom,well in 1st class there is, it seems on some of the trains the ride quality is very bumpy, I think on a 1-2 hr journey it would be tolerable and more than that it becomes uncomfortable

In 1st class there is now only 2 toilets instead of the 3 on previous trains, they have a design flaw around the sink being to small, so very quickly there is a lot of water on the floor, this can be a hazard and then they lock the toilets out of use.

Yes the layout is still like previous coaches, the food offered free in 1st class in now down to very little at weekend, we did a 5.5 hr trip north and all that was offered was a yogurt and something similar to a doughnut, the hot drinks stew in the flasks so after the 1st fresh batch they are not very nice.

I would be far happier riding on a HST 125 than the Azuma

Thanks Terry I travel fairly frequently to York and other places where Racing takes place like Doncaster so I am bound to catch one in the near future but it won't be in First Class ,these Bookies don't live in comfort for nothing , so we tend to just grab a seat in 2nd Class . Its always a late train back by which time , after a few sherberts , you don't really mind what you are travelling on and either way its more celebratory drinks or drowning your sorrows with refreshment from the Buffet car .

Back