The Mangle

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Watched the episode again today, and a thought occurred to me as we had a mangle at home when I was young. When Seymour got his tie in the mangle, why did they not just turn the wheel the other way, certainly Nora would be aware of this, instead she gets Compo a pair of scissors to cut him free.

Remember the next generation "Mangle" at home we had a Parnell Washing Machine which had an electric driven mangle to ring out clothes . The most difficult thing about it for me as a child was curbing the enthusiasm to feed something thick but soft through it to see what happened such as a Mars Bar or small Swiss roll . I just knew I would either break it , or spend hours trying to hide the fact I had done it and having to clean up the rollers to remove every last speck of evidence so I managed to resist . It was a relief when my parents bought a Hotpoint twin tub. :)

washer.jpg

Watched the episode again today, and a thought occurred to me as we had a mangle at home when I was young. When Seymour got his tie in the mangle, why did they not just turn the wheel the other way, certainly Nora would be aware of this, instead she gets Compo a pair of scissors to cut him free.
Now, in that particular episode, the trio had to delicately bring the mangle down the concrete steps outside Nora's house. The mangle falls down the steps and remarkably lands upright. Could this have been a matter of luck, because there appears to be an expression of surprise and astonishment on Seymour's face; or is it just good acting?

Now, in that particular episode, the trio had to delicately bring the mangle down the concrete steps outside Nora's house. The mangle falls down the steps and remarkably lands upright. Could this have been a matter of luck, because there appears to be an expression of surprise and astonishment on Seymour's face; or is it just good acting?

Also being made of cast iron it would of been damaged with a drop like that, so I wonder what the prop was really made from

I have a photo I took at the LOTSW museum and I think the mangle they used is in there with a pair of Compo's long johns draped over it along with other things . As this was all used in the show then I assume this particular mangle was used but probably one of many so they probably bought a job lot of identical ones and used a different one for each shot maybe having calculated which and in how many shots they were likely to damage the mangle and have to use a spare.

lotswmuseum2.jpg

I have a photo I took at the LOTSW museum and I think the mangle they used is in there with a pair of Compo's long johns draped over it along with other things . As this was all used in the show then I assume this particular mangle was used but probably one of many so they probably bought a job lot of identical ones and used a different one for each shot maybe having calculated which and in how many shots they were likely to damage the mangle and have to use a spare.

View attachment 3453

Great photo Captain. There are many props there I recognise from various episodes.

My assumption has always been that it was luck. Most likely they pushed one down the steps and figured they would cut to it sitting upright with a second shot, but got very lucky.

Back