The longest running sitcom before LOTSW

E

Eli Thingy

hi everyone

as the title suggests what was the worlds longest running sitcom before Last of the Summer Wine took the record?

thanks in advance

The US series 'The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet' (1952-66) ran for 14 years prior to Summer Wine here. So I think that would be the longest by some way.

British sitcoms have tended to run around 5-8 years.

Of course SW is in danger of been overtaken at some point in the future by The Simpsons as this is oddly classed as a sit com.

How do you define longest running sitcom? By years, or episodes?

There was some American sitcom called My Three Sons which made it to 380 episodes.

In the UK, the Doctor series made it to just over 21 years, off and on, at 148 episodes.

Sykes had a more regular run at just under 20 years, at 128 episodes. However, this was a combination of the 60s series Sykes and a... and the 70s series Sykes. Some storylines were recycled.

I know that the longest running comedy series (not sitcom) is The Benny Hill Show. Running in Various incarnations for 40 years.

i thought i better expand on what i want answering cause it seems like some of you are confused, basically i want to know which single tv show (not 1 in so many different forms i.e. The Benny Hill Show) ran for the longest before LOTSW took the title and by longest i mean years not episodes cause thats how i understand LOTSW has got the title

I'm reminded of the American sketch comedy Saturday Night Live, which has been on the air since 1975 and hasn't been cancelled yet. I know LOTSW was on 2 years prior to that, but SNL probably tied it by now.

Back