the grainy quality of early LOTSW episodes

manfromoswestry

Dedicated Member
Do you think this helped the appeal of the show? Do you prefer this over the cleaned-up audio and video of later episodes due to better technology? I personally liked the grainy footage of early episodes, as I think it lent something to the show's overall charm. Feel free to comment.

I think the reason for that was that maybe it was something new to filming on loaction for tv shows. Of course technology has greatly improved...

I don't know if the grainy location footage you refer to appeals to the majority of viewers, or if it was better on first transmission than the archive footage it is now. I don't think the episodes have been digitally remastered.

It was always the norm to do the exterior scenes on film, and the interior scenes on videotape. This is my preferred technique, though I'm not sure why.

The 1991 series didn't look right as the exteriors were shot on videotape. But why didn't it look right? The picture quality was clear and perfect and realistic.

In 1992 the series was all on film, and the interior shots looked dull and depressing to me.

These days too much effort is put into hd and special effects, and it seems to be wasted on me. I don't see why the picture has to be so clear.

A good artist doesn't do an exact photograph like copy, he puts a bit of interpretation and style into it.

I also liked the grainy quality. It´s like old records, they just have to have a few little scratches and sound a bit dusty.

I dont mind the grainy effects/look as its all part of the nostagia and charm of the programme for me.

There was at least one of the series that just didnt look right on the exterior shots and it maybe the ones that wstol is referring to.They were crisp and clear but i dont know if they were over lit or it was the type of film used but something didnt seem quite right.I cant remember the series offhand but i think it was either towards the end of the first Foggy run or possibly, early on in his second time.

I have never been very keen on film being used to record sitcoms and whatnot and really prefer the traditonal?style where everything seems more compact and the audience/viewer is much closer to whats happening.(Best way i can explain)

Hector

I'm watching those very grainy 1st season shows now. It reminds me of a raw '70's movie feel. Very non-tech. Funny how movies in the 1950's looked clearer and sharper and the color was so much better then than it was 20 years later in the '70's. But the grainyness doesn't bother me.

What always has struck me though is the overly false bright and cheery extreme green that all the fields and grass have in the latter years of the show. I think this was due to a post-production electronically colored picture by the "colorists" making the grass look greener than it ever could look in real life. This false looking overly saturated greeny green grass bothers me more than the grainy gritty look of the early series, then the grass was sometimes light green or even yellow or brown in places. A much more realistic look than the seemingly painted bright green of the later shows. Anyone else notice how the show got prettier in it's later years?

I'm watching those very grainy 1st season shows now. It reminds me of a raw '70's movie feel. Very non-tech. Funny how movies in the 1950's looked clearer and sharper and the color was so much better then than it was 20 years later in the '70's. But the grainyness doesn't bother me.

What always has struck me though is the overly false bright and cheery extreme green that all the fields and grass have in the latter years of the show. I think this was due to a post-production electronically colored picture by the "colorists" making the grass look greener than it ever could look in real life. This false looking overly saturated greeny green grass bothers me more than the grainy gritty look of the early series, then the grass was sometimes light green or even yellow or brown in places. A much more realistic look than the seemingly painted bright green of the later shows. Anyone else notice how the show got prettier in it's later years?

Yes, I have. I assumed the countyside looked brighter and prettier simply because they then only filmed in the summer. But again, it may be another new filming technique.

I'm not an expert at this, but I have noticed in shows from the '90's forward the ones that especially look nice and colorful, you will often see in the credits a "Colorist". I assume this is a person who adds color into a series to make it look better. I would see this colorist credit in these greeny green later LOSW episodes too.

Series 13 is the one people are mentioning where the outdoor scenes look perfect etc, due to that whole series being done on Videotape.

It's such a shame it when completlely to film the year later. I've always prefered the videotape for the inside shots, and 16mm Film for the outside shots.

If the original film elements still survive for the early episodes, they could probably rescan them, restore them, and the early episodes would look great.

Back