The Flag And Further Snags

manfromoswestry

Dedicated Member
In the last scene, what was written on that banner that Clegg and Compo were holding up? Also, what was the name of that club that Wally joined that met at Sid and Ivy's cafe? I remember there was a couple dozen of them, and I believe that had a menu of soup, salad and what I believe was a cold buffet. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Ivy said "cold buffet", which I'm guessing was all food items served cold. If I got it wrong, please forgive me and feel free to clarify.

Also, anyone else find it odd that it was pouring rain when the trio were on the bridge, then in the very next scene when they cross over the bridge to meet the person in the boat who would help them with transport, it wasn't raining at all? It's like the rain instantly stopped with no gradual tapering off. I wonder if that slipped past Sydney Lotterby's radar when he directed the episode?

BULLOCKS ;) and that was the name of the order, The Grand Order of the Bullocks.

Thats The Great British weather of you ;D

Such are the pitfalls of location filming in Great Britain! Reminds me of the Doctor Who story where they had to work into the story that the alien invasion was causing freak weather conditions because the weather kept changing on location!

Good old blity's weather, at least its consistant always p's down when the kids are off school!!

In the last scene, what was written on that banner that Clegg and Compo were holding up? Also, what was the name of that club that Wally joined that met at Sid and Ivy's cafe? I remember there was a couple dozen of them, and I believe that had a menu of soup, salad and what I believe was a cold buffet. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Ivy said "cold buffet", which I'm guessing was all food items served cold. If I got it wrong, please forgive me and feel free to clarify.

Also, anyone else find it odd that it was pouring rain when the trio were on the bridge, then in the very next scene when they cross over the bridge to meet the person in the boat who would help them with transport, it wasn't raining at all? It's like the rain instantly stopped with no gradual tapering off. I wonder if that slipped past Sydney Lotterby's radar when he directed the episode?

This was a great episode and yes i noticed the bit with the rain but this dosent really matter in tv land and the bit with the banner still makes me laugh now.

This was a great episode and yes i noticed the bit with the rain but this dosent really matter in tv land and the bit with the banner still makes me laugh now.

Wait a moment. We can get rather temperamental whether in the States, at least in the mid-Atlantic. It can rain one minute and be sunny the next. I recently watched this episode and didn't necessarily assume the trio meeting the Commodore at the boat was immediately after the crossed the bridge.

Anyway, I get a kick out of Clarke's Commodores, reminiscing about Keeping Up Appearances' Commodore.

So this brings me to a question.....England has a reputation for being quite rainy. Obviously you can film so much in this weather, but if the producers were to be completely accurate, they would have shown more rain over the years, correct? Or, is lots of cloudiness and rain more of a Southern England trait?

I do believe that the futher north you go the more you notice the weather.
But to get to your point about the rain not showing much rain, next time you watch look closely at the ground you we see it usually wet.

We do have a fair share of rain usually in the "summer" months, but come the winter we re ether waist high in snow or are in drought!

I have the disc of The Summer Wine Tour. At one location they are talking about the weather, someone says that light rain doesn't show up on film. I am not sure if this is true or not

I have the disc of The Summer Wine Tour. At one location they are talking about the weather, someone says that light rain doesn't show up on film. I am not sure if this is true or not

Yes I believe that is true.

Interesting that this subject comes up now. I just watched an episode of Avengers "Touch of Brimstone" and at the end of it it shows Emma Peel & Steed driving off down the road (this is the closer) but Emma's head in the real 2 people in car shot is looking down, as if trying to avoid rain in the face. Even though this scene is not supposed to be taking place in the rain. There are 2 possibilities, one is that the "Emma" in this long shot car riding on the road scene (as opposed to the close-up dialogue shot of Steed & Emma talking together before the long view shot of the car driving, it could be that this was a stand-in Emma in the moving car scene. And the double was trying to hider her face. OR it could be the real Emma with her head bowed to avoid direct contact with rain. The scene does seem to be on a cloudy day, but whether raining or double avoiding showing face I am not sure. Great episode though, Emma (the real one) has never looked better!

Back